Saw Blade Steel

indycrucible

Newly Enlightened
Re: Clip Material, 3D Modeling Software

Try using thin aluminum sheet for your fit up trial piece to get the ears right. You can cut the aluminum with shears and bend it easily, but it is still "drillable". Just simplify the rest of the clip design, no need to spend all that time cutting when you are just trying to get the ears/holes right.

You might want to check out Google SketchUp:

Link:

http://sketchup.google.com/

Description:
"Google SketchUp is software that you can use to create, modify and share 3D models. It's easier to learn than other 3D modeling programs, which is why so many people are already using it."

tnuckels

Enlightened

Thanks for the tips Indy! The :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: is OVER!

I ended up making two changes to the basic clip design to get it to bend up correctly: rotate the mounting tabs 5° up and bent part of the legs another 5° out (see diagram below)

2311075NautilusClipDesignNo3.jpg

I also bought some 0.013" decorative tin from the hobby store to prototype with. Much easier than working in SS or Ti, takes about 1/10 the time to make, and you avoid making lots of unusable clips like this. They mostly work, just not on my flashlight. Attached is the first working tin prototype.

2311076NautilusClip011.jpg

As the clip is want to be a thing of imprecise dimensions and imperfect construction I decided to let the holes be the master design element and let them drive the clip's creation. Little did I realize how difficult it would be to square back to this in the end, but success is all the sweeter for it.

Say hello to my first working Ti (in honor of Dan's donation to the effort) clip for my favorite flashlight, the Nautilus. Enjoy!

2311077NautilusClip012.jpg

2311078NautilusClip013.jpg

2311079NautilusClip014.jpg

2311080NautilusClip015.jpg

Last edited:

Mark A.

Newly Enlightened

TNuckels,

Nice job on seeing this project through to completion. Congratulations!

Mark A.

Latest posts