Stainless and non-stainless steel machining

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am appalled at the small number of USA "tool and die" makers (as we used to call them) who are willing to take on projects that may offer 100-200 pieces of product as a result. I have a market of currently undetermined size that represents not "custom" but replicable parts in the title material. The parts are for non-historic but modern renditions of historic Americana. Send me a PM for specifics. I want these to be domestically produced.

Karl

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Kind of hard to say much without a bit of context.

I assume you are looking for a company that will manufacture small batches of something based on a sample, and want them made at a price where you can make a good profit when you sell them, is that correct?

A tool and die maker is the one who makes tools that YOU use to make things. Have you looked for machine shops, prototyping shops, etc? They are the ones that produce batches of things.

Chances are you have read the other threads in this sub-forum about manufacturing products in small batches and why it costs so much. If you haven't, it comes down to being much more time consuming than you think it is, and a lot of that time is spent setting things up, designing jigs, buying tools, shipping, etc.

So Please, tell us more. :)

Dan

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure! 316 Stainless, 4 5/8" long rod, 458/1000"X 965/1000" straight taper to 250/1000" X 1" and 443/1000" straight taper to 233/1000" X 1' and 659/1000" increasing to 245/1000" X 625/1000". On the 458/1000" end a 130/1000" X 800/1000". There are other details difficult for me to describe and the last time I did measurements on something like this was back in a high school drafting class in 1969 so..... I think I'll check locally since without looking at this part, it may be impossible produce it. Thanks.

Karl

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Thanks for the information. I'm guessing that you are describing diameter X length, the first then being .458 diameter for .965 inches.

I can see why that's not getting a lot of interest. That's a lot of tapers and fairly thin areas. Thin = delicate. A 5 inch long rod with areas that have to be turned to as little as 1/8 inch diameter will be a hassle. It will need some special jigs / setups to make it.

Good luck with it.

Dan

brickbat

Enlightened
No offense intended, Karl, but you need a proper drawing for this part. If you're not willing to put pencil to paper and think through all the dimensions (AND TOLERANCES), no machinist in his right mind would quote this. (BTW, consider using 303 instead of 316 - it's easier to machine and might cost less).