'secret' Photon auto-off mode? Freedom and Rex; 3 min. w/ ramp

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Been playing with this on the Proton. In slow flash it will still turn off, but it takes somewhere around 15 min. Also, the red seems to stay on a bit longer than the whites. Neat trick. I wish there was some way to adjust the timing. Maybe there is.

Geoff

bazzers

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Thanks, Bryan Avery, for the incredibly quick reply. And thanks, Candlepower folks, for all the warm welcomes and kind words!

Over the weekend, thought I was on the trail of an additional Freedom/ReX mode or two, but nothing yet. A few days ago, managed to find what must be the 'shortcut to SOS' that's advertised as provided with purchase of a Doug Ritter edition of the Photon Freedom (and apparently once came in some of the Photon instructions) -- although was clean-room reverse engineering in this case, promise.
Also noticed a couple of minor as-yet-undocumented ReX features, which I'll add to the ReX thread.

Cheers,

Bazzers

Last edited:

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
bazzers, thanks for the tip. My Proton seems to just dim to off. Unless I'm missing it, there's no blink first.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying for the past 30 minutes to set the auto-off mode on my Freedom, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

How long should be waiting after the light turns off for the "short flash?" I've held the button for 2-3 minutes several times, and I assume that I should be seeing something sooner than that.

Despite repeated attempts, I have not succeeded in activating auto-off mode (at least not a ~3 minute auto-off). Do I have a defective thumb?

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying for the past 30 minutes to set the auto-off mode on my Freedom, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

How long should be waiting after the light turns off for the "short flash?" I've held the button for 2-3 minutes several times, and I assume that I should be seeing something sooner than that.

Despite repeated attempts, I have not succeeded in activating auto-off mode (at least not a ~3 minute auto-off). Do I have a defective thumb?

My Freedoms wouldn't program either. I'm wondering if they're too old for the feature. I have it working on my Protons.

mjrtoo

Newly Enlightened
Another mode I've found is a 'quick' way to SOS mode.

Press and hold to ramp level to the flash...and then release as soon as the LED's extinguish. You'll immediatly be in SOS mode...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Another mode I've found is a 'quick' way to SOS mode.

Press and hold to ramp level to the flash...and then release as soon as the LED's extinguish. You'll immediatly be in SOS mode...

This documented mode is also present in the Proton, as well as a mode which allows the light of the RED and WHITE LED at that same time. I'm not sure why anyone would ever what to do that, but you can if you'd like.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread needs to be bumped up.... in light with the other easter egg thread of NovaTak.

Dear Mods, would you consider this as a 'stiky' ? It's very useful

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I'd just like to mention that after activating the auto-off feature of my red Photon Freedom, the time till off is only 1 minute and 30 seconds. There is an initial dimming just before auto-off, and no matter if you press the button while it's dimming to keep it active, it will turn off. Anyone else seeing <or= 1m:30s before auto-off?

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I finally got around to trying this out and my Freedom (maybe 1-2 years old) doesn't seem to have the feature. Is there a way to identify the version number or anything like that?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I finally got around to trying this out and my Freedom (maybe 1-2 years old) doesn't seem to have the feature. Is there a way to identify the version number or anything like that?

Well I don't know if there's a version number or not, but I do know that I purchased my photon freedom in October of 2006 and auto-off works.. A friend of mine purchased one in late July of 2006 and it does not seem to have auto-off.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
I had to give a thanks to the people of this community. I just replaced the batteries in an old photon Freedom and had to re-enable this. Being able to search this forum for help is a great convenience.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amen. I went back to a Photon Freedom for nightly use around the house use and keychain carry. Best UI ever. Your posts and videos helped me to see what cool little lights they are. So thank you Kitro.
Very true. It is surprising that there are quite a few of us that continue to use Photon Freedom pinchlights even today, crude PWM withstanding.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freedom Covert around my neck for 4+ years. I changed the LED to a Yuji Hi CRI 3200k and love this thing. Light weight, lays flat, UI is excellent, Moonlight....

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Yuji'd one in the past and sold in a package deal so this one is stock and I'm running it with a 2032. Bright enough for me and I like the extra runtime. Photon for the win.