Seen these before?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a colminating lens won't work very well for a incandescant light if used alone, since only a small percentage of the light will go straight up...a reflector of some sort for isntance.

the designs are seriously interesting, but if these ever get made (i'm having a hard time imagining that they would), they would be very very expensive to machine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

scuba

Enlightened
Ha ha...I knew that you guys were going to enjoy that link! I don't even remember how I ended up on that site but those lights are pretty stiking...

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Projector beam lens? I just had one in my hand last night (it's at home now, I'm at work) that is mounted on an eighty year-old brass 3D flashlight -- given to me recently by a kind CPF'er, I've been admiring it for its old-style construction (mostly a lot of thin curved/folded/bent brass sheetmetal) and its apparent collectability, but now I will have to try shining a bare LS beam through it to see how it goes.

The dome is a heavy, sturdy piece of solid glass with a modified cabuchon shape. There is no reflector so I presume the beam was of sufficient magnitude and intensity all by itself (the internals don't work now so I never saw it). Will post pics of both it and whatever beams I get out of it if they are worthwhile, as soon as I get home (if I remember)...

[/ QUOTE ]

MR Bulk, I'll be very interested to see how this turns out. I have, coming in the mail, a couple of very old Eveready's that have these "walleye" type glass lenses.

I purchased them recently and was thinking of asking here about the feasibility of updating the light sources and power supplies.

They are such handsome, almost art-deco, designs that I'd like to update the innards mainly for conversation pieces on my living room shelves.

Please do post your ideas and results.

BC

tech

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of dissapointed...scrolling down that site I was sure I was going to find at least one light that was also a Staser...

Oh well...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something just clicked - you old timers should know what I am talking about. Remember PK's site? Those pics look familiar, don't they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
I have seen these a long time ago when browsing through Mr. Pirela's site. They look like some studies - we'll see.
:wicked:

RevDavid

Enlightened
I am waiting for those things to show up on one of the Star trek Features or the new Enterprise series. They have a seriously alien menace to them.

David <><

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RevDavid said:
I am waiting for those things to show up on one of the Star trek Features or the new Enterprise series. They have a seriously alien menace to them.

David <><

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something that has always bugged me about star trek next generation, The flashlights they use on there are cheesey little boxes that throw a very yellow beam with a big ole hole in the center of it.
You'd think in the 24th century they'd have something a little cooler.
back on topic: I saw Pirela at blade show this year.
His designs are cutting edge.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty slick if they actually get produced. I for one am very interested in getting a first-hand look at a pre-production model at the very least.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Assuming they project a very bright, narrow beam with little or no corona/peripheral light (like Dr. Asperlux), what real-world application would they actually have?

Brightnorm