"Sent from my iWhatever"

bansuri

Enlightened
ebow sorry to upset you, just a habit for me, which I doubt I'll change.
Norm
:oops: :crackup:

DIΩDΣ;3730088 said:
I chuckled a little bit when I saw the title of this thread. I wont ever buy anything that starts with a little 'i'. Not that theyre poor or anything like that but to me these new trendy phones are that - trendy, with cool effects and eye candy. My phone is pretty old school I guess at about 5 years old but will do practically anything the newer ones will, just without pinching the screen of flicking stuff around. Personally I like the more computer style interface.
Nothin wrong with old school! I recently retired my Palm V for a Palm TX for work. Have every bit of information for all manufacturing operations including programs for the Bandit controllers, all steps and details for each part, on and on. Whole shop in the palm of my hand. The problem with old stuff is getting replacement parts and whole units, as I'm sure you'll find out eventually, which is why I upgraded to the TX, should have a few good years in her yet.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond has a great point. It took me a while to figure out why some threads would come up that had nothing to do with my search.

[remainder of post moved to CPF Cliché thread - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I didn't even know my Tap could talk, let alone send messages :)

I usually send mine through the National optometry number, 1800-EYE-CARE :poke:

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am proud to be using an old cell phone with no browser, no camera, no fancy gizmos, and no "sent from my whatever"attachedd to it. My phone does exactly what a cell phone is supposed to do, make calls andreceivee them that's it. No need to web browse, or watch video's, or take pictures. If someone else wants to do that with their phone, more power to them, but I'm perfectly happy with this old phone that does what it's supposed to do. Long live retro;)

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
When I got my new HTC phone, I deleted the "sent from my HTC Desire" on my email. As someone pointed out, it makes sense when replying to an email so the recipient knows your not you're not at a computer and on the go.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my new HTC phone, I deleted the "sent from my HTC Desire" on my email. As someone pointed out, it makes sense when replying to an email so the recipient knows your not you're not at a computer and on the go.

That's a great point that I missed since I never read this whole thread.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too see it as a form of advertising, but I also see the utility of letting folks know you won't be responding with a lengthy reply.

Sent from the center of my consciousness about three inches above and behind the actual material that houses my brain.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
shldnt shrtnd wrds clue ppl n 2 when some1s on the fone?

Personally, I believe that since the phone already has a microphone, why not enable speech recognition for text input? Easier to correctly type one or two words that didn't translate just right than to correctly type a full sentence or two.

Slackdart

Newly Enlightened
Really drives my crazy, first thing I turned off when I got my iPhone.

Sent from the ether.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
shldnt shrtnd wrds clue ppl n 2 when some1s on the fone?

Personally, I believe that since the phone already has a microphone, why not enable speech recognition for text input? Easier to correctly type one or two words that didn't translate just right than to correctly type a full sentence or two.

Hmm that might work in some situations but try doing that in a crowded office with your fellow workers (and boss)... I wouldnt recommend it!

JacobJones

Enlightened
I don't know how much speech recognition has improved in the last year but when I tried it on a computer using the weird speech recognition they give you for free with Microsoft vista it was really awefull. I believe it would make it more difficult to make messages quickly than just typing it because I'd be too busy laughing at the hilarious mistakes the speech recognition makes to correct them. I'm on an itouch and it only took me about 50 seconds to type this

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
First thing I disable with a new device. No free advertising for you.

Good point.

Not only do individual owners of the Smartphones don't get anything in return for the advertising that automatically pops up in their posts, but neither do the Admins. or owners of the sites.

I find it surprising that that form of free advertising isn't banned on forum sites. It just seems to be accepted as slightly annoying at best. Yet if someone ended all of their posts with "Eat at Joe's. Good food at low prices. Kids eat free. Conveniently located at . . . ," they'd likely get a warning for that type of free advertising; especially since it would be part of the posts instead of in the sig line.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably be better if the line said: "Sent from my mobile device," rather than from whatever brand the thing is.

That would be enough to explain that you can't type long replies easily.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It would probably be better if the line said: "Sent from my mobile device," rather than from whatever brand the thing is.

That would be enough to explain that you can't type long replies easily.

Ah, but that's the thing; it's not about explaining that the user can't type out a long and detailed response to a post. It's all about free advertising. Some money-hungry ******* sat down and came up with a creative and annoying way of getting it. Probably figuring, correctly as it seems, that the average user wouldn't bother with switching it off.

Norm

Retired Administrator
As mentioned many times throughout this thread, it's a setting, turn the damn thing off.
Norm

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I find it annoying also, with one exception: it does help to explain typos when you see a sigline indicating that the message came from a very tiny keyboard.

-----
Sent by my fingers

JacobJones

Enlightened
I'm using an iPod touch and I also find it anoying, I turned it off ages ago. it comes across as gloating.

Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm rich and want to let the whole world know

Latest posts