SF - 123's Banned...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF - 123\'s Banned...

There is a difference between the SF & SL 123's. Checkout the shootout Silverfox ran. They may look the same in appearance but there is a definite difference in what goes on in the internals...

Saaby

Flashaholic

Looking at the graphs in that thread, and considering that (Unless I missed something) he only ran 1-2 batteries from each brand through the test, I would have to say the differences represented in the batteries were not statistically significant.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Looking at the graphs in that thread, and considering that (Unless I missed something) he only ran 1-2 batteries from each brand through the test, I would have to say the differences represented in the batteries were not statistically significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point. Then it is safe to say that SF is batting 0 for 2?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shifty646 said:
I've been using Golsten cells from ebay... they are dirt cheap 20 for $20. Been working flawlessly for the past year that I've been using them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using the Golston cells too, and they seem to be very good for the money. I would like to see someone run a test on them.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

This puzzling situation has been mentioned many times since I joined CPF in 2001 but there's never been a definitive answer. I have run hundreds of Surefires through many lights over three years and have never had a failure (yet). Anyone experiencing a high percentage of failures may simply have a bad batch. Batteries intended for law enforcement and military use should be especially reliable and I've rarely if ever heard of failures in those areas.

Brightnorm

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
This puzzling situation has been mentioned many times since I joined CPF in 2001 but there's never been a definitive answer. I have run hundreds of Surefires through many lights over three years and have never had a failure (yet). Anyone experiencing a high percentage of failures may simply have a bad batch. Batteries intended for law enforcement and military use should be especially reliable and I've rarely if ever heard of failures in those areas.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the same boat I have personally ran over two hundred Surefire's. Plus I have bought over four hundred of them for my techs at work. I have never had a bad one or had a report of one?

georget98

Enlightened

When this thread first appeared, I was going to write I've used dozens without a problem; however that changed.

I was talking on the phone and absent mindedly shining my MaxFire-LX around the room. I turned it off then back on, and it didn't light up.

I said my goodbyes, and spent the next several minutes trying to figure out why the thing wouldn't light up. Bulb filament looked OK and checked OK with a meter. Meter showed switch OK, 5.4 volts from the battery tip to flashlight conductive inner shell. I removed the switch and measured the same 5.4 volts from the negative battery pole to the light's shell thereby showing the lamp was making good contact.

Finally I stuck another pair of batteries and the darned thing lit up.

Both of the original SF123A's measure 2.7 volts. One lights my ARC-LS to full brightness, and the other lights it in a very dim moon mode.

Our local odd lot type store (Ocean State Job Lot) sells their Konnoc brand 123's for $3.99 for 2. Today everything in the store was 20% off so I bought a couple packages. It's always nice to have a reasonably priced local source. I hope they work OK.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 out of 3 cells are bad. actually, i didnt even get to teh 3rd cell yet which is most likely to be bad too. Perhaps because they are made in the USA? I mean, it seems that chinese made products win in the CR123 department.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Mags_despiser ... if I understand it correctly, you are saying you got 2 bad SF123 and won't proceed to the third because it certainly isn't the ticket either?

Now ... this is a serious problem you are describing and it deserves a better explanation IMHO. What was the problem? And why are you bashing those cells in general?

Know that one big advantage of SF123 is security ... built-in wizardry (which I do not know exactly) to protect you from harm. Most Chinese cells won't have this. Have fun or think first.

bernhard

daveisalright

Newly Enlightened

hi, I just signed up and hope to find out what is the best 3.6v or 3.7v rechargeable battery for my luxeon flashlight, I made it so i need to replace 2aa with one aa size battery,

Kiessling

Flashaholic

dave, this is the wrong thread for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Look elsewhere in this forum and you'll find your answers ...
bernhard

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heck, why not try the third cell? You're not out anything, right? I mean, they're not exploding or anything. .

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Out of four batches of SF cells, purchased from 9/03 to 9/04, I've had "sudden death" failures from 20%. I will concur that the problem must be batch related due to the hundreds that others have used without problem.

My very first pair of SF 123's failed this way after only 20 min. of use. Maybe it's me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Perhaps I, somehow, affect electrical items as does my wife. If she's around, the car remote won't unlock the passenger doors.

As an electronic tech & industrial electrician of 25 years, I can tell you that some things just don't make scientific sense, but yet they happen. I've occasionally encountered a machinery failure where three unrelated problems were discovered and any of them should have shut down the equipment, but it kept running until one of the three problems stopped it. This has occurred rather often to be a co-incidence...yet, it has to be one, no?

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Out of four batches of SF cells, purchased from 9/03 to 9/04, I've had "sudden death" failures from 20%. I will concur that the problem must be batch related due to the hundreds that others have used without problem.

My very first pair of SF 123's failed this way after only 20 min. of use. Maybe it's me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Perhaps I, somehow, affect electrical items as does my wife. If she's around, the car remote won't unlock the passenger doors.

As an electronic tech & industrial electrician of 25 years, I can tell you that some things just don't make scientific sense, but yet they happen. I've occasionally encountered a machinery failure where three unrelated problems were discovered and any of them should have shut down the equipment, but it kept running until one of the three problems stopped it. This has occurred rather often to be a co-incidence...yet, it has to be one, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we should keep you away from Li-Ion, many only have four protection mechanisms...