SF G2 upgrades

HOTHEAD

Newly Enlightened
I have a few questions and was wondering if someone would lend me some information. I did use the search function and still have a few questions.

My brother came home from Iraq for Christmas and brought me a Surefire G2 as a gift. I have never owned a "Tactical Light" but this thing is pretty cool. So now in reading about it, I find out that there is all kinds of upgrades that I can do to it.
Can someone point me in the direction to order a clip for it, also I'd like some info on the drop in inserts that work with this light, (I've seen conflicting arguments about the plastic shell getting to hot). This will be a EDC light for me, however most likley it will not get any hard use, but I would like to get the most out of it I can as far as light vs use time.
Lastly, is this a waste of time to upgrade or should I just buy something else and throw this in the dresser for a later date.
Thanks
Regards
HOTHEAD

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
thank you for posting this..! i'm having the same delimma. i've been searching this forum for three or four days now lol

skillet

Enlightened
Your G2's take a P60 style dropin..

You can start reading here

and then move on to this

I hope you have some time..
I've been "studying" this forum since '05 and I'm still learning...

Good luck!
Gordon

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IMO a G2 is too big for EDC, but I pocket carry and try to carry as little as possible (even made a paper wallet to save thickness).

How much are you willing to spend?
What kind of output?
Runtime?

The polymer body of the G2 does not distribute heat well, so high power LED drop-ins can overheat when left running for longer periods of time. Drop-ins like the M60LL or M60L by malkoff run at lower power so they don't overheat. Lower power also means less output and more runtime.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
The NovaTac pocket clips work great on it, but you will need an o-ring to snug it up (5/8" size o-ring I think), I have one on mine and it works great. You might also want to order a UCL lens for it. One of the great things about the G2, you can dress it up for $5 or $10 bucks here or there, and not worry about breaking the bank. There are a lot of drop-ins for it, the links suggested above are good "required reading." Enjoy your new light, I think it is a must have.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can check out Solarforce clips, the link i attached is to the new bezel down series of clips, i had the previous batch of clips which were bezel up.

I've tried a few LED drop ins in my black G2 but have decided to go with this set up:-

2 x RCR123s
1 x Lumens Factory HO-9

you can check out Solarforce's dropins too.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i cannot exactly recall how much it cost me, first of all, cos my G2 was bought off the Marketplace and came with a glass lens so that saved me the cost of getting one.

The HO-9 is obtainable from www.lumensfactory.com @ $14.99 excluding shipping.

A lens can probably be obtained from www.flashlightlens.com, based on this chart, you'd need a 28.8mm lens and that would cost $5.25 excluding shipping. (you may need a tool to remove the retaining ring around the bezel to replace the lens and that is an additional $2.50)

A couple of RCR123s (or IMR123s) can be obtained from AW's sales thread at $6 each excluding $4.50 shipping

The charger is $15.00 excluding $4.50 shipping (also from AW's thread).

But technically speaking, my mod isnt an LED mode, the HO-9 is an incand bulb but MAN, i love the warm tint and perfect beam.

You could simply get an LED drop in module and save all that hassle but i'd definitely go for rechargeable cells for guilt free lumens. Solarforce (as posted above) has some pretty nice modules (i been eying their MC-E drop in but can't justify it as i have the DX MC-E drop in which has been serving me well).

Good luck with your G2 upgrade, it's a great little light.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
What type of clip do you want? Bezel-up or bezel-down? I had a few clips made up for bezel-up carry. They need to be modified slightly by the user to have the little kickout at the bottom so they slide into your pocket, but I left it straight so they can be bent to taste. The G2 is a great EDC, very lightweight for its size.

G2_with_clip02.sized.jpg

HOTHEAD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the insight,
So am I correct that I probably should not put in one of the M60 200+ lumen with 2.5 hours runtime in the G2 led chasis? I have seen alot of reference to the 6P Surefire, should I purchase one of these? I would not want a larger light but of course I'd love to get as much over the 80 lumens as possible.

Again thank you
Regards
HOTHEAD

Also I guess I would prefer a clip that was at the lens end

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
one thing that you will learn is how fun it is to to play surefire lego.

I have several malkoff drop in units which I have found to be very good.

There are other heads (anything compatable with the 60P.

As for the flashlight feedstock.... The 6P is a great place to start.
The G2 is also a good place to start.
The G2 is a better light to start with if the light will be used in COLD environments.
The difference between aluminum and nitrolan is big in terms of it's ability to move heat. the aluminum does a better (by a long shot) job than the fancy plastic.

BUT If you have a G2 or a 6P get a Malkoff drop in to start with.
If you are on a tight budget then get the surefire LED globe.
pineapplewithhead-1.jpg

the image above is a surefire lego with a custom body (forgot who made it) surefire switch head and adapter so the head will fit the body. both the head (with the adapter) and switch will fit on the G2.
My point is look for 6P compatable parts buy some and todd them together. Have fun
The sky's the limit.
Yaesumofo

crocodilo

Enlightened
My own G2 is loaded with a Malkoff M60L and a couple of AW batteries. Not much more I can ask of any light. As to getting a clip and it being too big for EDC: bollocks. I just carry mine in the jeans front pocket and that's it.

darklite187

Newly Enlightened
Will the G2 LED take AW rcr123a's safely? I've tried to research it but cannot find a definitive answer as I too am researching upgrades for my G2 I received for xmas.

HOTHEAD

Newly Enlightened
Re: SF G2 w/M60L vs Fenix PD30 R4

Alright, last qustion.
Do I go with the M60L drop in, and aftermarket clip for my SF G2, or give it to the wife and just order a Fenix PD60 R4.

This forum has been great, thank you all
Regadrs
HOTHEAD

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened
If you want an edc, then I would go with the pd30. It should be easier to carry around, and having multiple output levels would make it more useful.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
I would stick with the G2, gives you more "lego" options, lots of drop-ins available for it.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I would stick with the G2, gives you more "lego" options, lots of drop-ins available for it.

+1

And you will want to get a 6P to go with it, so you'll have the aluminum compliment to the G2. And maybe a 9P for some higher power options. And maybe a 3P for discrete carry. Then perhaps a Z2 for low-light firearms training. Oh, and a E series for dressy occasions. And maybe an M6 for when the SHTF. And then the defender series (all of them) because they're cool. And then a few more 6Ps for stashing around the vehicle/house/work/shower.

Crap. Story of my life. :)

HOTHEAD

Newly Enlightened
+1

And you will want to get a 6P to go with it, so you'll have the aluminum compliment to the G2. And maybe a 9P for some higher power options. And maybe a 3P for discrete carry. Then perhaps a Z2 for low-light firearms training. Oh, and a E series for dressy occasions. And maybe an M6 for when the SHTF. And then the defender series (all of them) because they're cool. And then a few more 6Ps for stashing around the vehicle/house/work/shower.

Crap. Story of my life. :)

I am starting to realize that this is quickly going to become another addiction...GREAT just what I need, the wife is going to be pissed:whistle: