Should I purchase a Blue-label or a Ready-Made

eklimpke

Newly Enlightened
I have been debating for 3 weeks now on which light to get a Ready-made or a Blue-Label. It is now time to ask the experts. Please provide some wisdom on which model to acquire.

Thanks for the help

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own either, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I do plan to get one eventually, though, and I'm definitely going to hold out for the Blue Label when I do. Simple reason: this is a luxury purchase. I do not NEED an Alpha, I want one. If I bought a Ready Made, I'd always be thinking that there is a better version out there...why not just save up a little longer, and get the very best! Obviously if you are asking which to buy, you can afford the Blue Label, so you should go for it.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a ready made, and use it as a tool not to really admire that much although it's hard not to.
the ready made is a start to see how things are, & im happy enough.......for now.

if i went on further, I would then even pass the blue label, and get a copper bespoke, now that's the very best IMO!.
but the ready made does me fine for maybe some long while.

thanks.

not1scar

Newly Enlightened
Another super fresh newbie here. Haven't slept for the past week discovering all the Ready-Made offerings and Blue-Label standard/hopped up possibilities.

I do have a question -- I noticed on a Custom offering mention of heat and the use of common sense when the light was on high mode. I would default to the same common sense caution if there seemed to be too much heat building at any time. Either from a mass produced or custom light. In anyone's experience is this something to be more concerned about with the Blue-Label pieces?

Thanks

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome,.
so far I have had my ready made on high sometimes for over 15 minutes, and it does hot up pretty fast, but in no way I see, it has affected the light in any way, in fact I have never heard of an overheat in one of these....
i do try to to knock it down to low when it does get hot hot,..if I can manage to hold and do it that is,...lol.
all in all, its not an issue for me anyway if I had a ready made, or a blue label.
i had a fenix PD32 where I did the same, and nothing came of it all.
but always of course, be aware of fire, and don't leave alone on high really.

Another super fresh newbie here. Haven't slept for the past week discovering all the Ready-Made offerings and Blue-Label standard/hopped up possibilities.

I do have a question -- I noticed on a Custom offering mention of heat and the use of common sense when the light was on high mode. I would default to the same common sense caution if there seemed to be too much heat building at any time. Either from a mass produced or custom light. In anyone's experience is this something to be more concerned about with the Blue-Label pieces?

Thanks

nbp

Flashaholic
Rule of thumb: If it's too hot for your thumb it's too hot for the light.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks

The Alpha & the Blue label have the same electronics, run at the same amperage so they will get similarly hot. Keeping your hand on the light will help remove the heat (faster than just ambient air) - as someone else mentioned when it's too hot for thumb / hand - it's too hot. But - that will only happen on high (earlier poster noted ~15 minutes).

On a totally different light - I did have a quad LED running at 5.6A total accidentally turn on in a holster on my belt - let's say i noticed it when it got WARM. I took it out, turned it off and took it apart quickly (couldn't touch it for long) to get battery out and drop-in out. It had just reached the thermal shut-off on the (extremely expensive drop-in) and wouldn't work for the next hour or so, after that it reset and it fine. I know lock out the tailcap on that one.

On the Alpha's the switch is recessed so it won't / shouldn't turn on accidentally. And it would need to get really hot to damage it.

I would (did) get the Blue-label, I also had Jason put my name, not just my initials on the light. I'm not going to sell it.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
On the Alpha's the switch is recessed so it won't / shouldn't turn on accidentally. And it would need to get really hot to damage it.

I've had it turn on in my pocket before. I have the XML in mine and it definitely gets hot on high. I try to keep it set to low (memory!) when it's in a pocket just in case. I ended up throwing mine in a snowbank for quick cooling. No problems with the light.

And to OP: get the Blue Label. I love mine (though technically, mine was pre-Blue Label).

eklimpke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help. Now I just need to save up for the blue label.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Ready-Made. Availability rather than money was the reason. I was visiting friends and family in the states and the Alphas were not available at that time. I am very happy with my Ready-Made - the electronics, MCE emitter and Ledil boom are the same. It even has the primary seal ring. There are 3 differences: the Ready-Made driver mount is nickel plated aluminum rather than copper, the threads are Class II rather than Class III and the o-ring material (and color) is different. Of course the surface finish is different, too. I like the texture (the little grooves) on the Ready-Made. I am very happy with the Ready-Made. If you can wait, go for the Alpha.

The MCE with the Ledil boom is magical and I highly recommend this set up. Beautiful tint and perfect beam. The emitter is not over-driven, but it will get hot on high. I have a toy - a copper pocket rocket that is over-driven and it gets hot fast. The Prometheus lights are not like this toy.

Also, it is a pleasure dealing with Jason. He answers questions and helps you get the light that is best for your needs.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 there...

I bought a Ready-Made. Availability rather than money was the reason. I was visiting friends and family in the states and the Alphas were not available at that time. I am very happy with my Ready-Made - the electronics, MCE emitter and Ledil boom are the same. It even has the primary seal ring. There are 3 differences: the Ready-Made driver mount is nickel plated aluminum rather than copper, the threads are Class II rather than Class III and the o-ring material (and color) is different. Of course the surface finish is different, too. I like the texture (the little grooves) on the Ready-Made. I am very happy with the Ready-Made. If you can wait, go for the Alpha.

The MCE with the Ledil boom is magical and I highly recommend this set up. Beautiful tint and perfect beam. The emitter is not over-driven, but it will get hot on high. I have a toy - a copper pocket rocket that is over-driven and it gets hot fast. The Prometheus lights are not like this toy.

Also, it is a pleasure dealing with Jason. He answers questions and helps you get the light that is best for your needs.