Kiessling

Flashaholic
Gotta love the showoff-threads :D

Aleph027.jpg

AlephRainbow.jpg

MCLS2003.jpg

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.. this thread is stunning! :popcorn: Kiessling, nice pic of the "eight passenger" :laughing:

[PS.: it is as the 1st movie of the Alien was renamed here].

WBryan

Newly Enlightened
The second one from the bottom is just killer. What kind of finish is that?:)

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my 3.
A modded by McGizmo L1 PR-T-917, a 3S Sundrop and a Sapphire from the first run, not the newer 25 version.

4545855785_259d9b3691_o.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
:eek::drool::bow:..............Humble collection?!

Very, very nice collection fyrstormer...so I have to ask - which is your favorite McGizmo and why? Also - how does the Haiku stack up in your opinion compared to the legendary PD?
Well, I didn't want to toot my own horn too much...:p Besides, it looks like bf1 has got us all beat with his 15-light collection. :cool:

It's hard to say which one's my favorite. My personality is such that if I have two of the same thing, I will waste an inordinate amount of time picking which one to use, so I've tried to collect as diverse a set of Gizmos as possible. The only two that really overlap are the PD-S and the XR19, because the only meaningful difference there is the brand of emitter. So, here's what I think of each one:

Mule: great for area illumination. I put a UV emitter in this one, because the ultra-wide dispersion means I'll see fluorescence even if I don't know what I'm looking for yet. The nickel-plate needs periodic polishing, though; I really wish there were an all-titanium version of this.

Arc6: This is my go-to light when I don't need to worry about battery life, I don't want to worry about damaging my light, and I want the option to melt people's faces at a moment's notice. Even if it catches fire, I can always buy another head. The anodized threads on the head feel really nice on the titanium threads in the PD Pak, and it can use regular grease instead of Krytox or TiTi Twister. (that's my new name for the ti thread lube I formulated. :D) This one usually goes to the office with me.

Sundrop: More focused than the Mule, but still perfectly-even illumination. Great for macro photography where camera flash would cause highlight burnout.

McLux3-T: This one's as close to a shelf queen as I can stand to have. It doesn't see a lot of use because it's so rare, but I sometimes use it for reading in bed. The lack of a push-switch is problematic for outdoor use, but again, it's more of a collector's item than anything else.

PD-S: It's a classic, there's not much else I can say. It doesn't matter that it's outmoded and not as bright as newer lights. It's like owning a classic muscle car; it was, and still is, the pinnacle of its vintage.

XR19: I had this one upgraded from a Cree Q2 to a Q5, and now it's noticeably brighter than the PD-S. It can throw a little better too. Also, I'm deathly afraid of losing the PD-S, so this one sees more use than the PD-S, but other than that it's comparable in every way.

Haiku: The barn-burner of the bunch. (well, except for the Arc6.) Being designed specifically to be operated entirely with one hand is a huge plus when I'm carrying stuff, or when it's cold and I don't want to take my other hand out of my pocket, or when I want instant access to lots of light. Plus the fins are damn cool. I'd say it's just as iconic as the PD-S, just reflective of a different set of design parameters. I won't be getting rid of it.

Lunasol 20: Useful when I'm going to be primarily working on stuff up-close, but I'll occasionally need to shoot a beam far away. It sees lots of use when I'm running wires in the basement of my dad's girlfriend's house, which is older than dirt and has a rat's nest of wiring stapled to the rafters. I put it on a C-Pak, partly to free up a PD Pak to use with my Arc6, but also because I think its split personality is more useful when the beam I get isn't dependent on how strong/tired my thumb is.

McGizmonster: I put this together from an Aleph 1 head, a McLux1 Clicky Pak, and a Seoul P4 GDuP light engine. It's like a build-your-own-Haiku kit, though admittedly not as bright, but it throws really far nonetheless.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unbelievable BF1:faint:...your collection posts never cease to amaze me.. I was pretty excited about finally getting my hands on 1 McGizmo, until I saw your "Pile 'O McGizmos"....:sigh:

So I have to ask you since you are extremely familiar with Don's work - how do think the Haiku stacks up with his previous legendary EDC lights like the PD-S, etc.?

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to say which one's my favorite. My personality is such that if I have two of the same thing, I will waste an inordinate amount of time picking which one to use, so I've tried to collect as diverse a set of Gizmos as possible. The only two that really overlap are the PD-S and the XR19, because the only meaningful difference there is the brand of emitter. So, here's what I think of each one...

Thanks so much for taking the time to give some of us - who aren't able to own one of each :broke:- a very useful comparison review of Don's other creations! :twothumbs

Latest posts