Show Your Muyshondt Collections

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roanqoan has a pretty great collection of Ions and Aeons - I try to keep one of each of everything I've made, but he has some that even I don't! :)

Here are a few shots of the latest addition to my collection, the Aeon Mk. III:
J0rPbmyl.jpg

1gdEYi5l.jpg

Fun little light - slightly slimmer and slightly longer than a Mk. II, and a good bit brighter. I've got a few more pictures on Instagram and am covering the prototyping process at www.instagram.com/muyshondtent.

I'm doing the last few prototype tests and expect the pre-production lights to make it here in the next 2-3 weeks (and of course a new thread will land around that time too!).

Enrique

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Looks great, Enrique. I look forward to getting one of these.

About the light, yes, noticeably a bit longer. You mentioned it's brighter than the Mk. II. Is the extra length because of a longer heat sink?

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great, Enrique. I look forward to getting one of these.

About the light, yes, noticeably a bit longer. You mentioned it's brighter than the Mk. II. Is the extra length because of a longer heat sink?

I would imagine the extra length is due to the clicky switch.
I agree, looks great. I guess another Muyshondt will be added to the collection!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mk. III looks to be one great light; it's really photogenic. It is a little longer (for the clicky tailcap) but also a full mm thinner than the Mk. II. A most excellent refresh of the Aeon. I can't wait for my new EDC to arrive. Now to decide whether or not to order the Nautilus Mk. II from the forthcoming final batch. :thinking:

Enrique, are you going to go up any higher in battery size (or maybe smaller)? AAA, AA, CR2, CR123, what's next? :popcorn:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
magellan: It's longer mostly due to the pushbutton tailswitch, and yes, the Aeon remains a CR2 light with three stages. :)

monanza: The Nautilus Mk. II Ultralight is the end of the line for that particular light, and that design style. It's also probably the end of 3-stage analog switching lights from me, too. As for the future, it's too early to say! Right now I'm focused on prototype and getting the Aeon Mk. III done. Once production is done I'll decide what to do next!

gunga: The clip I'm using on the prototype may or may not make it to production in its current form, but so far any changes I've considered have not been because of functional reasons. :shrug: The light has been clipped to my pant pocket ever since I received it, clipped to the outside of a swimsuit, gone swimming shallow diving, gone for runs, and has worked perfectly throughout. Obviously people have different use cases, and there are openings in the tail to allow for people to use a keyring so it can be carried however each person likes best.

Enrique

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. A $400 light may deserve better than a $2 clip, no? The deep carry section is too narrow to fit anything, and I find the tension too low. Has your clip rotated in use? Simplest solution is to have a bolt pattern compatible with popular aftermarket clips (eh. McGizmo). The clip would then be up to the user, but there would be nice options.

Btw, any chance of a nautilus in this style?

Last edited:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I preordered one of these despite the clip that I don't like (based on images only - in the hand they may be stronger than they look). My use case won't include using the clip, but I would also love to see an alternate and more secure means of attaching it in the case that my use changes. I like the idea of a drill and tap or bolt up arrangement. If there were three of the dangler things around the top instead of two, then a clip could be bolted or screwed to those. A couple drilled and tapped holes should be easy enough to add.

Just my two cents.

eala

nbp

Flashaholic
Spinner AA and Mako AAA.

Speaking of which, I should probably update the OP. I only have two Muyshondt lights now. :duck:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I'm not sure you realize how small the Aeon Mk. III is. It's tiny. It's also built with characteristically higher tolerances, attention to detail, and overall quality than most other lights, such that on my design I don't expect you will have whatever issues you've seen with other clamp-on clips.

Clips are divisive, and I debated whether to include one at all. I wanted a clip, though, and I like this one. It's small. It's good quality. It allows for side standing on the clip. It requires no tools to install. It holds the light securely. It aids in grip. It works well, and does what I need it to do, in every circumstance tested so far from dry denim to a wet swimsuit, and sitting, walking, running, swimming, etc. Any changes I make to its design will be minor.

A bolt-on clip would be substantially larger in size, require an extension and thickening of the light, and have large, protruding bolt heads that would negate the utility of having a small light in the first place. A clamp-on clip is the only kind of clip that works well for this design, and it allows the Aeon to maintain its sleek, minimalist form – something a bolt-on design would greatly reduce.

Enrique

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't use clips so never paid attention to the pics at the top of this page till now but it's apparent just looking at it that the metal appears to be beefy enough and my opinion, without really thinking much about it was that if this is what's coming included with the Aeon, then it's going to be well made and thought out.

Just want to make sure on the operation: the clicky with turn the light on/off and the ring at the top allows you to select, and know which level the light will turn on?