Show your Solarforce

Status
Not open for further replies.

them0nk

Newly Enlightened
P60 with TIR & 18500 in L2M...EASY

hi all! ...Yesterday I installed a Cree TIR optic in a P60 module....(maybe it was from DX or KD and it is the narrow beam kind)

igp4430.jpg

The optic clips on the XR-E tight enough....

igp4448.jpg

I had to clip the optic "feet" at half width to clear the solder pads of the boards (see the arrow)

igp4442m.jpg

A BIG advantage is that there it is shorter than a standard drop-in...Using a 17500/18500 in a L2M 2009 body is comfy...No stressing on the batt..

So there is more room for mods like the Zero Body L2, or the 3AA in a 4 cell body

The NEXT Advantage is that there is an expected increase in total output...

_________ Lux @ Box
Reflector_____ 397
Optics_______ 542

Board was a DX3256 3.6-9V 750-800mA, running on the AW 17500 pictured. In my box the 200 lumens OTF application score 480+
and this time the module had decreased performance (as expected) due to the 1 x Li-Ion cell....After lunch I will maesure some more batt combinations...

...and finding an MC-E optic or putting a hard driven XPG there? Priceless

enjoy, Kostas

can you PM me on how you did this? i'm looking to get a really really tight beam out of my l2 head... and was thinking either tir optics or the aspherical lense... but after hours of trying to read about this stuff on the forums... and the ability to not PM anyone i cannot find anything worth while to the level of flashlight noob i am.

also for anyone else i'd like their take on getting the tightest beam with the least flood out of my l2 :p

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you PM me on how you did this? i'm looking to get a really really tight beam out of my l2 head... and was thinking either tir optics or the aspherical lense... but after hours of trying to read about this stuff on the forums... and the ability to not PM anyone i cannot find anything worth while to the level of flashlight noob i am.
:p

doing this is all in the photos....the only thing i left out (foolish me) was removing material with saw, file, knife and stone from both of the reflector and the white TIT optic holder....you will need about 1-2 hours of elbow work...sorry...

What would you use that lens for?

by replacing the bezel glass with this concetrating lens...yuo cannot get a tighter beam than this!

them0nk

Newly Enlightened
What would you use that lens for?

check out the tiablo t9 aspherical head... makes the flashligh literally all throw no flood... if done right.

same concept but trying to do it for a flashlight...

if you read the comments about that lens it's pretty funny some dude put a setup together to burn stuff, like a magnifieing glass in the sun... a flashlight that doubles as a survival lighter LOL

there are 27mm ones on the edmunds scientific website here: http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2454

i'd be interested if anyone tried the edmunds... i'm betting it's a WAY better lens.

be nice if it was AR coated though.

Last edited:

Superorb

Enlightened
Hmm... I just got my grey L2 from ITC today, and it looks like something isn't right. The knurling on the body is pretty aggressive, and so is the knurling on the tail. Also, there's a larger gap between the tail and body compared to a regular L2. The black tailcap is also longer than the alleged fake grey tailcap which is why there's a gap in the grey one. But, the overall length looks the same. ITC is an authorized SF dealer as well. It doesn't look like the pics in Post #834. The thing that irritates me is that now I can't put a lanyard ring or belt clip on it because it will flop around. If anyone wants high resolution pics let me know.

Black in focus

Grey in focus

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tailcap is not right at all.

Unless Solarforce has changed the design of the tailcaps very recently (unlikely), the tailcap should be like your black one and post 834.

Contact itc_shop find out what the deal is.
An official SF dealer should no be sending out lights like that.

Superorb

Enlightened
That tailcap is not right at all.

Unless Solarforce has changed the design of the tailcaps very recently (unlikely), the tailcap should be like your black one and post 834.

Contact itc_shop find out what the deal is.
An official SF dealer should no be sending out lights like that.
The knurling on the body and tailcap is also much more aggressive, so I don't know what's up. I'll email them and Solarforce, maybe one of them can offer an explanation.

Superorb

Enlightened
Take the head and the tailcap off and look down the battery tube. Do you see a joint line?
Yup, joint line is the same on both bodies. The black body is ever so slightly longer in length when standing next to each other.

Note to self: do NOT try to unscrew body by gripping threads of the top of body. Nasty slicing will ensue.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I emailed itc_shop and copied Solarforce, let's see who can explain things.
Huh, looks like a few of mine are the same thing. Didn't think anything of it so it will be interesting to see what they say. I have gotten some from ITC but most from Flashlight Collection Museum, which seems to be run by the same guy.

As far as the extra gap, I use a GITD O-ring to fill the gap. It holds the clip in place nicely plus l can see it at night.

P.S. My "Solarforce" drops do not have the colored bands around the reflector like it shows in their pictures. Are these not actually Solarforce either?

Last edited:

Superorb

Enlightened
Huh, looks like a few of mine are the same thing. Didn't think anything of it so it will be interesting to see what they say. I have gotten some from ITC but most from Flashlight Collection Museum, which seems to be run by the same guy.

As far as the extra gap, I use a GITD O-ring to fill the gap. It holds the clip in place nicely plus l can see it at night.

P.S. My "Solarforce" drops do not have the colored bands around the reflector like it shows in their pictures. Are these not actually Solarforce either?
The Solarforce website is STILL down, so who knows if they ever received my email. Do you have clack and grey lights like mine? Colored band? You mean the strip of green in this picture?

80.jpg

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "Solarforce" drops do not have the colored bands around the reflector like it shows in their pictures. Are these not actually Solarforce either?

there have been fake ones....but there is a "Solarforce R2" module with a narrow silver abnd that is genuine....it is a single mode multipower one IIRC (the issue was raised soem tiem ago)

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce website is STILL down, so who knows if they ever received my email. Do you have clack and grey lights like mine? Colored band? You mean the strip of green in this picture?
If by green you mean brown (at least that's what it looks like to me), then yes. My "Solarforce" drops give the voltage and how many modes right on the reflector in white print. There doesn't seem to be any tape at all, let alone colored. I just figured I got older models. None of them are single modes.

Superorb

Enlightened
If by green you mean brown (at least that's what it looks like to me), then yes. My "Solarforce" drops give the voltage and how many modes right on the reflector in white print. There doesn't seem to be any tape at all, let alone colored. I just figured I got older models. None of them are single modes.
I'm colorblind, I can't tell the difference between green and brown sometimes ;) Mine looks just like the picture, but mine are less than a month old.

Still no word from Solarforce or ITC.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, there is a sales thread in the MP for a pair of gunmetal L2s.

One of them has the same tailcap as the new one you received and the knurling also looks different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.