Simple mods for MagLED 2D

rickcarpenter

Newly Enlightened
I received a MagLED 2D last night. I'm going to use it for a worklight, so I don't need massive throw. Decent even flood and long runtime with rechargeable batteries is what I want. What heatsink and/or reflector mods are there? What lens replacements work well? Is there a hexagonal sleeve for anti-roll? Thanks, Rick

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which version MagLED did you get? Old version with the shallow reflector, replaceable bulb, and a spare incandescent bulb in the tailcap or the newer version with the deep reflector and no spare bulb in the tailcap? Look in the tail cap and see if there's a piece of grey foam in there. They put a spare incandescent bulb in the grey foam. If it isn't there then more than likely it's the newer one.

If you have the newer version then modifications are possible but more difficult as most heatsinks are made for the older MagLites and they won't exactly work with the newest Rebel LED models. They can be modified to work, though, so not all is lost.

The question that I have is, what's wrong with your current light that you need to modify it? If you want a floodier beam then it's a simple matter of diffusing the existing beam with some non-clear cellophane tape or spraying some diffusing paint onto the lens. If you want to modify it to work with NiMH batteries then I can save you some time and money and tell you that the light should already work with those batteries with no issues at all.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
Fusion 36 head available on ebay. Tremendous $25 flood unit and straight drop in.

rickcarpenter

Newly Enlightened
I have the new one. I do a bit of disaster/emergency/relief work and need a light that I don't have to worry about sitting unused for a long time then used constantly for hours. I knew rechargables would work but also knew output using them would be some less than alkies. What heatsinks and mods can I look at? I thought there were reflector mods like stippling/sputtering or other that affected spot.

Thanks for the suggestion on the replacement head, but that's way more than I wanted to spend.

Nokoff

Enlightened
since you don't mind heatsink work, best bang for your buck IMO would be the latest Der Wichtel kit for the rebel m@g, The sst50 @5amp would well outshine stock led, get two 26650 for runtime rather than spending extra on the sst90 and you're set, stock reflector and switch

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that would be a "simple" mod...

Rick, unfortunately, changing the beam characteristics won't be easy because of the revised reflector. You might need to do some sputtering on your own to get a orange peel type reflector.

As for batteries, the easiest I can think of is some AA to D adapters from Ebay. There are some that take 2AA in parallel, and if you have Eneloops in there, you should be able to store them for a while without worrying about leaking batteries. You could also use Energizer Lithium AA's. I'm using a set of six Eneloops in my 3D with adapters, and it works pretty well.

rickcarpenter

Newly Enlightened
What might be the effective difference between 2x2AA rechargables vs 2D rechargables, both in charge life and in output? I know simple mods of this light will only go so far, but that's OK, it's a worklight. And I don't mind losing a little output going green with rechargables, but I want the most from them.

abacojeff

Newly Enlightened
I'll provide the overly simplistic response to 2x2 AA vs. 2 D cell (which I'm sure will be added to, corrected, rebuked or whatever)... but anyway for what it's worth:

1x AA is 'typically' (some higher, some lower) = 2600 mAh

2x AA would be approx. = 5200 mAh

2x2 AA approx. = 10,400 mAh

1x D is 'typically' = 10,000 mAh

2x D approx. = 20,000 mAh

I don't see the point to considering AA holders unless higher voltages are needed... in which case 26650 etc. would be a better option.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA's aren't going to have as much capacity as D rechargeables, but they bring commonality and also give you the option for lithium primaries (which should increase output, my 2AA is brightest with lithiums). If you have other AA devices, this is a big bonus.

You also won't need a D-cell charger (there aren't as many good D-cell compatible chargers as there are AA/AAA chargers), and LSD Eneloop AA's are easier to get than LSD D-cells.