Simple question, did seach, couldnt find answer.

Curt R

Enlightened
3 volts will give you abut 70 to 80 % of full rated power.
2.4 volts, about 20 to 30%
7.3 volts :poof:

Curt

pyro

Enlightened
Depends on the Vf of the led and the type of batteries you use.
On full eneloops maybe around 100 mAh, fresh alkalines slightly more, but not enough to justify the use of a high power led.
If you want it cheap you can use three AAs and a resistor or a Li-Ion cell + resistor.
With two AAs you have to use a driver ro get decent output, however i don't know drivers capale to supply full current ftom such little voltage.

Nereus

Enlightened
I have a x-ml t6, Can it be direct driven with no driver off 2 AA batteries?

If you mean AA alkalines I would say yes. I have built a mag 2D (alkalines) flashlight mod with a direct driven xm-l emitter and the current is around 700-900 mA depending on battery condition and brand. Expect to get a bit smaller current with AA size alkalines. About 300-400 mA, wild guess? :)

When I built the 2D mag, I bought 5 xm-ls, tested their dd current with 2D alks and choose the one with highest current / lowest Vf.

-N

Curt R

Enlightened
Two AA Alkaline batteries can output over 1 Amp of current
at 3.0 volts.

A single AA Alkaline battery is rated to output 1 Amp to 0.8
volts for 1 hour in a constant current discharge at 21 degrees
Celsius.

The performance discharge curve of the AA size will be faster
than that of the C or D cell battery, but the initial output should be
close to the same.

Curt

Last edited:

videoman

Enlightened
Perhaps not on-topic, but since the discussion is on AA alkalines, what is the safe maximum current draw from one of them before it gets too hot for comfort ? I just need to put up 6 or 8 aa's in series with a buck driver and have to figure out the driver rating. One more question, If I use 8 AA rechargeables (1.2 V Sanyo's 2700ma) will they have a higher max current rating as compared to the alkalines ( really looking for the safer option).