Since the SC600 all the NEW lights seem so dim...

burntoshine

Enlightened
yeah, i have to say that the SC600w has become my favorite flashlight (my other favorite is the MiNi CR2; for different reasons). i have two of them. two SC600w's on the handlebars and a H600w on the noggin makes for great night rides through the woods.

at night i have been keeping one of them on the nightstand, head down, with moonmode on. my nightstand has a thick layer of glass on top of the wood, so the SC600w has a glow around it; this way i can easily find it in the middle of the night.

ideal size and nicely contoured body (which makes it really comfortable to hold), geat UI (all with one perfectly recessed side soft-click electronic switch), amazing runtimes, awesome light!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
burntoshine,

Are the SC600w and H600w essentially the same light in different forms? Is one brighter, or runs longer than the other? Thanks.

bodhran

Enlightened
Just got back from a week of camping. Brought along a Mini CR123 HCRI, SC600w with spare batteries, and a Nitecore Universal charger with car adapapter. Did a couple of night hikes with the SC600 mostly using the medium setting, but when needed, the high had more than enough throw for my needs. When hiking a rocky trail through pines, you can only see so far anyway and the bright flood was actually better for finding a rather poorly marked trail. The Mini was my toss in the pocket, around camp light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like lights that run a variety of primary and rechargeable batteries, AA sized though, not 123s. I've based all my portable elctronic devices (cellphone backups, GPS, radios, UV water purifiers, flashlights) around NiMh AAs and it's so nice to be able take one small charger and one set of spare batts to feed everything. After the spares are gone, the ability to cannibalize between devices and then go store bought leaves you with a deep deep back-up bench. Also have a nice 4oz/2-cigarette-pack-sized solar charger that will take care of my emergeny electrical needs indefinitely.

I'm playing with 14500s just to show-off with, but I suspect the added monitoring with Li-ions will wear me out. I'm a low lumen enthusiast and mostly use 0.3, 3, 24 lumens as my LMH, so 1xAA NiMh already last too long and end up pulling good batts out just to cycle them.

By the way, the worst thing you can do to a Li-ion, after exposure to high temps, is to use it as a back-up (effectively storing it at 100% charge)... if you're not currently using a Li-ion, it's much better to let it sit at 40% capacity.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I like lights that run a variety of primary and rechargeable batteries, AA sized though, not 123s. I've based all my portable elctronic devices (cellphone backups, GPS, radios, UV water purifiers, flashlights) around NiMh AAs and it's so nice to be able take one small charger and one set of spare batts to feed everything. After the spares are gone, the ability to cannibalize between devices and then go store bought leaves you with a deep deep back-up bench. Also have a nice 4oz/2-cigarette-pack-sized solar charger that will take care of my emergeny electrical needs indefinitely.

I'm playing with 14500s just to show-off with, but I suspect the added monitoring with Li-ions will wear me out. I'm a low lumen enthusiast and mostly use 0.3, 3, 24 lumens as my LMH, so 1xAA NiMh already last too long and end up pulling good batts out just to cycle them.

By the way, the worst thing you can do to a Li-ion, after exposure to high temps, is to use it as a back-up (effectively storing it at 100% charge)... if you're not currently using a Li-ion, it's much better to let it sit at 40% capacity.

If there's one battery that's ubiquitous it's the AA!

burntoshine

Enlightened
burntoshine,

Are the SC600w and H600w essentially the same light in different forms? Is one brighter, or runs longer than the other? Thanks.

to me, they are nearly identical as far as brightness, beam pattern and throw are concerned. and yeah, that's basically how i think of them in my mind; the same light in different forms. i've just done some quick comparisons in the dark. there are probably some differences between them, but they're not significant enough for me to notice with my usage.

Latest posts