Since this is the Café... do you like tea or coffee?

Do you prefer coffee or tea?

• I drink only tea.

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • I mostly drink tea, sometimes coffee.

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • I like both just as much.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • I mostly drink coffee, sometimes tea.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I drink only coffee.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neither, gimme my beer!

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm uncertain what paleo is, ancient diet?
Asians have been drinking corn and Barley tea for quite some time, Barley probably being older.
Basically a "low glycemic index" diet. Carbohydrate restricted. The simple view of paleo is "nothing refined." The complex view involves charts of the glycemic index of foods. White potatoes and all corn products are OUT. No white flour. No white rice.

It's the meat-itarian diet. :)

I did a bit of a writeup on it here:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CPF-Diet-Thread-Part-2&highlight=the+CPF+diet

MrJino

Enlightened
Ah that's interesting to know.

I follow the asian diet, eat anything that moves haha! Jk
We eat a ton of white rice and fermented foods, little meat.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't drink coffee or tea except for Irish coffee, I have 6 or 7 "brands" of Irish whisky to choose from in my bar currently.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Coffee.

Anything from Green Mtn is good but I especially like their Dark Magic coffee.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drink both but prefer coffee by a lot. Light to medium roasts yes, dark to espresso roasts not so much. Preferred brewing, french press but drip is fine. Turkish every so often (like it a lot) when I feel like it.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
french press but drip is fine.

Eeewww man. At least get an aeropress.

Since I no longer have access to an espresso machine, have to rely on my moka pot which I have had since the 80's. Changed the seal multiple times, the filter is a bit out of shape that the tamper won't fit but still using it. Was given a pod machine but that is just horrible, especially if it is the first cup after being turned on.

To answer the question, I like both as long as tea contains camellia sinesis and is not a tisane. First choice depends on what is on offer.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eeewww man. At least get an aeropress.

Since I no longer have access to an espresso machine, have to rely on my moka pot which I have had since the 80's. Changed the seal multiple times, the filter is a bit out of shape that the tamper won't fit but still using it. Was given a pod machine but that is just horrible, especially if it is the first cup after being turned on.

To answer the question, I like both as long as tea contains camellia sinesis and is not a tisane. First choice depends on what is on offer.

Really? I've found the press to make the best coffee by far. Not sure what you mean by a moca pot but it sounds like the italian espresso pot for the stove that has 3 sections, yes? If so I have used them but never much liked them, seal goes often and the coffee isn't that good, IMO of course. BTW, don't have a drip machine, never did, but there are two spots by me that use drip machines and they're good, maybe because they're commercial grade, IDK.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I've found the press to make the best coffee by far. Not sure what you mean by a moca pot but it sounds like the italian espresso pot for the stove that has 3 sections, yes? If so I have used them but never much liked them, seal goes often and the coffee isn't that good, IMO of course. BTW, don't have a drip machine, never did, but there are two spots by me that use drip machines and they're good, maybe because they're commercial grade, IDK.

There may be an art to the French press but I haven't come across it. There is an art to the moka pot. Two things, use a tamper and secondly, pre heat the water otherwise you get a watery cup of bilge. Other thing is to get a seasoned pot.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There may be an art to the French press but I haven't come across it.

Coffee to water ratio, water temp, grind size, steep time. Do it right and you get a cup of joe that's as syrupy and stout as any cowboy dip and yet still somehow has the delicate fruit and chocolate overtones you'd get from a pour-over.

Or if you want a real challenge, try using the steam wand on a commercial espresso machine; so much p.s.i. the jet of steam in the open dangerously stretches two feet in length, yet a pro can put it in a dinky milk pitcher and the surface of the milk is completely still - you can only tell the steam is on from the sound..

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Peets' African blends and Major ****asons' blend. Starbucks Via is outstanding for how snappy it is to make. Kill about three of those per day.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coffee to water ratio, water temp, grind size, steep time. Do it right and you get a cup of joe that's as syrupy and stout as any cowboy dip and yet still somehow has the delicate fruit and chocolate overtones you'd get from a pour-over.

I find making the pot stronger is always better, being I take my coffee w/ milk I can just add a bit more milk if it's too strong. I also find if the water is too hot, boiling, the coffee isn't as good as opposed to hot water. If the grind is too fine you get a sediment but I don't mind that. 4-5 minute steep time works for me and I give it a good stir before letting it sit. Any thing i might be missing? If I can make a good cup better please share.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any thing i might be missing? If I can make a good cup better please share.

The key is fresh-roasted coffee - find a local place/place you can mail-order from that roasts their own coffee and get a fresh bag. The best, most expensive store shelf coffee in a $1,000 coffee machine doesn't taste as good as fresh roasted coffee from a $10 drugstore drip unit.

If you want to experience the StarHalo method: 10:1 water/coffee ratio, weighing both the beans and the water on a scale, in grams; my workday morning cup is 26g beans, 260g water. Hot water in press and mug to warm. Microwave water 2:15, check with thermometer aiming for as close to 200 degrees as possible, water should bubble vigorously when you put in the thermometer (more bubbles = more oxygenation = more gravity/"thickness".) Empty but do not dry press, add just-ground coffee, add water and start timer for 4:00. At ~2:00 give the press a mild whirl (causes some, ideally not all grounds to sink, easier to tell with a glass press,) empty and dry cup, press starting 20 seconds before time (go slow), pour coffee at end of time. Pour the press until you're near the last drops then stop, discard rest, do not leave some in the press and use it as a decanter.

The one bit I can't impart here is grind size; use trial and error to find the spot between weak and over-extracted, weak is too coarse, just bitter is too fine.