SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

_UPz

Enlightened
Re: 2nd gen dreamcharger presented on IFA Berlin 2014…

Sounds really good. Like a Maha with Li-Ion support and upgradeable firmware...

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can this new charger measure cell resistance?

i checked. Yes, the charger measures cell resistance on the fly, that is when running a MODE, and the LCD screen displays the miliOhms-value when you switch to the SOV (slot operation view). SOV shows quite some details about the slot/battery, not only :tired: voltage, cell internal resistance and elapsed time, lol

could you kindly give me some link to read some info about it?
ciao alessandro,
here is your link: DC2 INFO LINK, that's all there is for now :crazy:

Last edited:

realista

Enlightened

ok, so basiccaly will be made by the same company what created the opus c3100. but the new version will be much more premium quality( and at higher cost) and with 3a charging current.
however for normal people also 1A or 2A(wuth 1 and 4 slot) of actual opus would be ok....... so basically this new version will be only for "PREMIUM" people........

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

will be made by the same company what created the opus c3100

yikes

FcmBkvP.gif

Last edited:

_UPz

Enlightened

ok, so basiccaly will be made by the same company what created the opus c3100. but the new version will be much more premium quality( and at higher cost) and with 3a charging current.
however for normal people also 1A or 2A(wuth 1 and 4 slot) of actual opus would be ok....... so basically this new version will be only for "PREMIUM" people........

For what I undertand in this thread the upcoming device has nothing to do with the OPUS company. I have my own idea about it, but I'll wait to see if the folks visiting berlin IFA confirms my suspicions.

trdtam

Newly Enlightened

Any idea on when this charger will be available? :naughty:

Dubois

Enlightened

i checked. Yes, the charger measures cell resistance on the fly, that is when running a MODE, and the LCD screen displays the miliOhms-value when you switch to the SOV (slot operation view). SOV shows quite some details about the slot/battery, not only :tired: voltage, cell internal resistance and elapsed time, lol
:crazy:

OK, looking good, thanks Kreisl.

If i buy this will I be a "premium" person?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Dubois,

No...

But you may have a "premium" tool to measure the performance of your batteries with. :)

Tom

Dubois

Enlightened

Hello Dubois,

No...

But you may have a "premium" tool to measure the performance of your batteries with. :)

Tom

Lol, fair point. The only "premium" label I normally see is on a beer bottle. Even then, I rarely trust it. I might drink it .....

Getting back on topic, I am looking forward to see some real world impressions of this charger.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. External user supplied power supply required
2. Charge Rate: 100mA - 3A (Lithium) (2A NiMH) (subject to powersupply) *****
3. Advanced Info display includes Cell internal resistance *****
4. Will charge LiIon @ 4.35V (some adjustment possible on actual cutoff level) *****
5. User Upgradeable Firmware *****1/2
6. Supported Chemistries: NiMH, Eneloop, NiCd, NiZn, LiIon, LiIo4.35, LiFe
7. 4 Independent Battery Bays

Hmmm... looks pretty good... why did you list Eneloop as a separate Chemistry from NiMH? Is the charge program any different for these LSD cells?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you will - it be basically a hobby charger with 4 independent channels in an integrated battery tray

I'm sold...

No more "simulated" CC/CV, high termination, early termination, fake current value, extremely slow 0.3C rate, parasitic drain when not connected to power, overpriced... common problems among "high quality" li-ion chargers these days.

But honetly all I want is a iCharge 106b+ with 6 adjustable slots :shrug:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will I be able to use it for data logging easily? Not that I do this at the moment, but if I'm going to invest in one of these beasts, that would seem to be something worth doing.

I had forgotten to answer this question.
Erh, yes the device has 2 USB sockets. One for general USB power output for charging your smartphone battery, and one for PC Link output (logging) and input (control).
Again, at this point i don't know if the PC Link USB cable is packaged in the retail shipping unit but the PC Link software (WinXP or higher) will be 100% FREE :thumbsup:.

Firmwarez updating isn't necessarily done thru the PC Link software. The current updating format is a downloadable *.EXE-file which you fire up while the device is connected to your Win PC.

So with the PC Link software you have control over the basic functions (load/set the MODE parameters, start/stop MODE or PROGRAM) and of course see everything running: automatic logging/graphing the main quantities such as voltage (with 3 decimals :naughty:), current, cell temperature, capacity, etc. The present version of the software is functional and stable but very basic and hopefully they continue to develop it into a full-fledged Win-software with Excel-export and looping of several MODES or PROGRAMS. iCharger's PC Link software is called LogView and is for logging only (not control) and made by German developer Dominik. There is some chance that in future Dominik's highly evolutionized Win-software will also support the device. LogView has already advanced logging features, Excel/HTML-export and so on.

Bad news for Apple/Linux users: no computer link software for ya :rolleyes:

However, wireless cordless cable-free link is being developed, they're discussing either WiFi connection (to smartphone, not PC) or Bluetooth 4.0 connection (to smartphone). What would you guys prefer?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Picture or it didn't happen. ;)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

why did you list Eneloop as a separate Chemistry from NiMH? Is the charge program any different for these LSD cells?

No, the actual charging algorithm for BATT TYPE NiMH and BATT TYPE ENELOOP is the same, it is CC-charging (constant current) with PEAK SENS -dU/dt as main termination method.
With BATT TYPE ENELOOP the author pays tribute to the revolutionary Sanyo-Panasonic battery, the most important and popular NiMH-based battery in today's modern world, where Mr.Ignoramus still wonders what kind of wonder battery type Eneloops are. Are they regular NiMH?, are they special NiMH?, are they a mixed NiMH-NiWhat, or are they something new on their own?

The UI (user interface) for ENELOOP is slightly different, comes with optimized presets (still adjustable though), so the user is good to go after fewer button clicks.

It also showcases that the maker would implement any new relevant battery type in a heartbeat. If the industry comes up with cylindrical LiPo or cylindrical Pb batteries, the user would see them implemented in the next firmware update.

Dubois

Enlightened

This does give the charger some future-proof advantages. I suppose it's too early to have any final product release date?

Not that I am impatient or anything, you understand lol.

Chloe

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like a really exciting charger! Any idea who the manufacturer is or release date?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suppose it's too early to have any final product release date?

i think we can agree that there is no need to be impatient. this whole development project is way too complex and important that one would want a rushed release. it's getting ~1.5 yrs which the maker spent behind closed doors :candle: on designing the PCB layout from scratch and reiterating the prototypes and early production samples numerous times in order to release a product which is mature from the IPO. On the IFA the booth staff may not announce anything aloud but let visitors know about an unofficial tentative date.

so far i didn't hear anything concrete. No price. No date.

Sounds like vaporware to me :kewlpics: lol

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for your confusion.
Clearly, it is no vaporware.
Tomorrow is Friday, start of IFA: visitors can take photos, lay hands, play, ask and come back here and report about this new charger.

i'll be damned :banned:if the product is not shown, presented or demo'ed there!

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Sorry for your confusion.
Clearly, it is no vaporware.
Tomorrow is Friday, start of IFA: visitors can take photos, lay hands, play, ask and come back here and report about this new charger.

i'll be damned :banned:if the product is not shown, presented or demo'ed there!

Looking forward to it. :)
Might be in the market for a new charger soon.