SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

JB

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

The charger has arrived! Came in a nice packaging with a sticker on it that says Fragile on it too.

That was quick. Have fun with it!

B-2Admirer

Newly Enlightened
What address you've used for that request? My inquiry for unlocking RAM mode sent to [email protected] is still unanswered, hence the question...
Where have you made your recent purchase of RAM cells? For the past year I have not seen them for sale without a dedicated charger (and therefore for a reasonable price).

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same here in NL. I send GB e message via e-mail and ask them to refund my money back to my paypal account. Same time I opened via paypal a dispute. Next day GB had refund my money back to my paypal. I also ask why GB couldn't deliver the MC3000 charger. There answer was that there was a supplier's issue (GB: Unfortunately, we are very sorry to inform you that the item cannot be
sold anymore on our website due to supplier's issues ). Then I sen da e-mail to SkyRC, and this is what the told me:

A customer support staff member from SKYRC has replied to your support request, #30131 with the following response:

Hello,

Due to unforeseen materials issue, MC3000 is still under production and not deliver to gearbest yet.
Thank you so much for your patience on MC3000.

Regards,

and:

A customer support staff member from SKYRC has replied to your support request, #30131 with the following response:

Hello,

There will be mass production finished end of this month.

Regards,

I now order the MC3000 by hkt. Any one had issue with HKT?

I have now asked GB to cancel my order and refund to paypal (not a store credit as they offered).
I ordered from GB on Jan 7, when they were showing the AU plug version in stock, and paid extra for expedited shipping. When they hadn't shipped after a week or so I raised a query and they promised it would be shipped by Jan 20. Now it's Jan 24 and they still haven't shipped, so I've decided to cancel the order from them and give HKE a try, as I've seen much better feedback on here regarding them...

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I have now asked GB to cancel my order and refund to paypal (not a store credit as they offered).
I ordered from GB on Jan 7, when they were showing the AU plug version in stock, and paid extra for expedited shipping. When they hadn't shipped after a week or so I raised a query and they promised it would be shipped by Jan 20. Now it's Jan 24 and they still haven't shipped, so I've decided to cancel the order from them and give HKE a try, as I've seen much better feedback on here regarding them...

I don't think it was a good idea to cancel from GB. Without cancelling, You have the chance that they will ship it soon. With cancel, I think it will be long to have your full refund . A dispute could be long. With all that waiting time, the charger will be probably shipped. You could order now from HKE without having you refund but you could receive 2 chargers, one from each seller. Good luck.

billcushman

Enlightened
I ran a retest on some Maha Imedion LSD NiMH C-cells. The MC3000 was in Refresh mode, charge at 2A, both rests at 30 min, and discharge at 500mA. At completion the MC3000 reported capacity of 4379mAh and energy of 6.86Wh. The values during the rest after discharge were capacity 4379mAh and energy of -5.36Wh. I wish the discharge energy was also reported after completion. It is useful to divide the discharge energy by the discharge capacity to get the average discharge voltage. In this case it is 5.36Wh ÷ 4.379Ah = 1.224DCV. The same calculation easily verifies that the energy reported after completion is not the discharge energy. That result is 6.86Wh ÷ 4.379Ah = 1.567DCV. I don't know if the energy reported at completion is the result of one or both charges. In this test the first charge capacity was 595mAh and energy of 0.90Wh.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it was a good idea to cancel from GB. Without cancelling, You have the chance that they will ship it soon. With cancel, I think it will be long to have your full refund . A dispute could be long. With all that waiting time, the charger will be probably shipped. You could order now from HKE without having you refund but you could receive 2 chargers, one from each seller. Good luck.

Hmmm, maybe. But someone else on here said that after raising a Paypal dispute they got their refund the next day. But I noticed that HKE are showing out of stock until Feb anyway... Maybe I'll receive my MC3K before 2017... ;)

MarioJP

Enlightened

The demand must be high to be out of stock again.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Does the issue for updating the firmware has been resolved? I'm still in 1.02.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Demand is not high, just the production output is limited. The factory produces all kinds of products, did you see their catalog? Plus all the OEM's. Small batches are produced, we're lucky to have got a copy. dino edition ;)

Firmware 1.04 is being develepod after the bug report list. I don't know if the issue of updating the firmware has been resolved. I guess not.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I will wait FW1.04 in that case. I don't want issue when I'm gonna update it.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the discharge energy was also reported after completion. It is useful to divide the discharge energy by the discharge capacity to get the average discharge voltage. In this case it is 5.36Wh ÷ 4.379Ah = 1.224DCV. The same calculation easily verifies that the energy reported after completion is not the discharge energy. That result is 6.86Wh ÷ 4.379Ah = 1.567DCV. I don't know if the energy reported at completion is the result of one or both charges. In this test the first charge capacity was 595mAh and energy of 0.90Wh.
Beautifully caught bugs, thanks!!
I never use REFRESH. Today i tested it and you're right, 2 different bugs in the REFRESH operation mode. Here some demo data which exemplifies the 2 bugs:

Liion REFRESH SOV:
C: 6.20wh 1479mAh
D:-9.22wh 826mAh
C:12.84wh 835mAh (wrong wh counting, k#21)
Liion REFRESH Finished SOV, same as TOV: (k#5)
L:12.84wh 826mAh (wrong wh reporting, k#22)

NiMH REFRESH SOV:
C: 1.04wh 708mAh
D:-1.98wh 1633mAh
C: 2.49wh 1726mAh (correct wh counting)
NiMH REFRESH Finished SOV, same as TOV: (k#5)
L: 2.49wh 1633mAh (wrong wh reporting, k#22)

Also SOV should report charged capacity/energy too, not only discharged capacity/energy (k#5).
The average voltage .. is easily calculated with your formula, nice:

average voltage[V] = transferred energy[Wh] ÷ transferred charge[Ah]

Suarez

Newly Enlightened
Android App SkyRC MC 3000 Update !!! Hurray !!!

Just in case somebody (like me, *cough*) missed it - the MC3000 Android app has been updated to v2.5 and is working perfectly here on Nexus 5 now !

I assume it will work on all other Android devices too now which formerly crashed directly after start, v2.5 now is offering some kind of "device-selector"

at the opening screen where it it able to select the device to connect with, the MC3000 is detected as "SimpleBLEPheriphal" followed by the corresponding

MAC adress ;-) After selecting the device, the MC3000 app will connect to the charger and now offers (IMHO) all the functionality from the IOS app.

!!! Great Update !!! Thanks SkyRC and all stuff involved into this "huge step" update !!!

P.S.: Could someone who (luckily) owns two (or more) of this amazing MC3000 chargers please test if both units are selectable after starting the app ?!? Thanks in advance !

millguy

Newly Enlightened
Android App SkyRC MC 3000 Update !!! Hurray !!!

Just in case somebody (like me, *cough*) missed it - the MC3000 Android app has been updated to v2.5 and is working perfectly here on Nexus 5 now !

I assume it will work on all other Android devices too now which formerly crashed directly after start, v2.5 now is offering some kind of "device-selector"

at the opening screen where it it able to select the device to connect with, the MC3000 is detected as "SimpleBLEPheriphal" followed by the corresponding

MAC adress ;-) After selecting the device, the MC3000 app will connect to the charger and now offers (IMHO) all the functionality from the IOS app.

!!! Great Update !!! Thanks SkyRC and all stuff involved into this "huge step" update !!!

P.S.: Could someone who (luckily) owns two (or more) of this amazing MC3000 chargers please test if both units are selectable after starting the app ?!? Thanks in advance !

Both of mine show up when starting the app, but I have not found any way to switch between them except to exit the app and start it again.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Both of mine show up when starting the app, but I have not found any way to switch between them except to exit the app and start it again.

I was wondering how the app handles 2 because i might want a second one. I just got the habbit of 2's, and because i have 8 AA eneloops and 8 AAA eneloops and soon to have four panasonic NCR18650B then i am all set lol. Accessing the charger using the app is a really nice feature[emoji106] [emoji106]

Last edited:

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
The user's manual can be downloaded from http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product/download&download_id=149

Saved to a file-name "MC3000" without an extension, you need rename the saved file to "MC3000.pdf".

The charger current advertised availability is an EU version. Does the included 100-140 VAC AC/DC adapter have a removable AC input cord/plug that can be replaced with a US version? or an EU to US plug adapter is necessary?

Are there any known problems powering this charger using non OE power supplies or alternate non-regulated 12 volt power sources?

What size is the DC input male plug?

One concern I have about this charger is the warranty, service and support is only available from China. If the unit fails you would need to pay for shipping back to the seller or SkyRC located in China. USPS First Class to China is around $23.00 for a small package. There possibly are return shipping fees. Then there is a turn-a-around time which could take from several weeks to possibly months.

Last edited:

tjh

Enlightened
One concern I have about this charger is the warranty, service and support is only available from China. If the unit fails you would need to pay for shipping back to the seller or SkyRC located in China. USPS First Class to China is around $23.00 for a small package. There possibly are return shipping fees. Then there is a turn-a-around time which could take from several weeks to possibly months.

Right, and also don't forget if you want to be paranoid this is a very new device and everyone's might fall apart in 2 months. Or blow up.

It's part of the fun of being an early adopter. That's why we get it at the "Promotional Price", right? :)

And fess up - how many readers who bought this charger would be totally stranded if it did blow up? I know I have ~3 other chargers that could step up. This is the best one I have by far, but my world wouldn't be ruined if it did fail and I had to return it.

Maybe I need to focus more on the negatives in life ;)

Last edited: