SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

So the volts dropping isn't a problem then? It isn't reducing the stored capacity ?

False. One can correlate voltage with capacity only when the cell is at rest - which is far from the case when you first remove it from the charger - esp for cells with high IR (as may be the case in the photo you posted).

Also false. That photo - by itself - doesn't prove anything (esp. when you intentionally post them so cryptically without any explanation). There are many possible explanations for that reading that do not imply overcharging. For example, this could be the older version of the Opus which uses larger PWM spikes and - based what's said on BLF - the protection circuit may be adding up to 100mΩ, so the actual cell voltage may be much lower than what the DMM shows. I see no proof that the Opus is overcharging.

Yeah, like i said, overthinking too much.
Were not trying to solve the mistery behind the cause of the problem on the blf thread.
Picture was posted to suggest that the opus mentioned here might be overcharging the batteries.Even a small amount over 4.2 would result in a similar situation as described here.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, like i said, overthinking too much.

Facts about battery science are not "overthinking".

Picture was posted to suggest that the opus mentioned here might be overcharging the batter.

It was already explained to you 3 years ago on BLF (by HKJ and others) why there may be no overcharging. The way you cryptically posted the photo here (without any link to the prior explanations) and later refused requests to elaborate ("I like to be cryptic") is certainly not fair to those readers who may be seeking a fair analysis of the Opus. If I hadn't dug up that old BLF thread then you may have wrongly scared many readers away from the Opus. Is that really what you desired?

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Facts about battery science are not "overthinking".

It was already explained to you 3 years ago on BLF (by HKJ and others) why there may be no overcharging. The way you cryptically posted the photo here (without any link to the prior explanations) and later refused requests to elaborate ("I like to be cryptic") is certainly not fair to those readers who may be seeking a fair analysis of the Opus. If I hadn't dug up that old BLF thread then you may have wrongly scared many readers away from the Opus. Is that really what you desired?

Scence like this? "False. One can correlate voltage with capacity only when the cell is at rest - which is far from the case when you first remove it from the charger".Is your science telling me that if i remove a battery straight off the charger at 4.19v from one charger, and then i charge it on anoother charger and i get 4.17v. off the charger they would have the same capacity(talking about peanuts here, but still)? I dont agree with your science then.

The picture shows a charger overcharging a battery, and if you read the first post youll see that it is stated that the resting voltage of the battery is 4.25v. So i can conclude from that that it is overcharging, and gives legitimacy to the picture in my eyes.
Is that sciency enough?
Now you can tell me - but wait, up to 4.25v is alowed for li-ion

No link was needed as the pic is self explanatory, and it wasnt posted to avoid discussion like this.Just a visual representation of a possible problem on the charger mentioned here.
Dudes, If anyone gets scared from opus because of that pic, pm me, i can talk with soft voice over skype to calm you down :).And yes, you read me like an open book, im part of a secret anti opus society

BTW, that thread on BLF, not mine. And again, is irrelevant in this discussion

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scence like this? "False. One can correlate voltage with capacity only when the cell is at rest - which is far from the case when you first remove it from the charger".Is your science telling me that if i remove a battery straight off the charger at 4.19v from one charger, and then i charge it on anoother charger and i get 4.17v. off the charger they would have the same capacity(talking about peanuts here, but still)? I dont agree with your science then.

Not only is it possible that they may have been charged to the same capacity, but the cell that measured 4.19V hot-off charger #1 might even be charged to lower capacity than the cell that measured 4.17V hot-off charger #2. Namely, if charger #1 was charging at a much higher current than #2 and the cell is not new (high IR) then the cell's voltage may still be dropping for quite some time after it is hot-off the charger - so much so that its resting voltage ends up lower than #2 - which means it was charged to lower capacity. This is not uncommon to observe in practice (I've seen it many times).

MarioJP

Enlightened

Going back on that pic. I just realized that the voltage showing on the meter is the output power from the charger, which in this case makes sense. In order to charge a battery the voltage must be higher than the cell voltage (to overcome the potential differences). After reading that thread. It stated that in order to charge at 1A the voltage must be higher voltage.

Also, unrelated to my case then lol.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Not only is it possible that they may have been charged to the same capacity, but the cell that measured 4.19V hot-off charger #1 might even be charged to lower capacity than the cell that measured 4.17V hot-off charger #2. Namely, if charger #1 was charging at a much higher current than #2 and the cell is not new (high IR) then the cell's voltage may still be dropping for quite some time after it is hot-off the charger - so much so that its resting voltage ends up lower than #2 - which means it was charged to lower capacity. This is not uncommon to observe in practice (I've seen it many times).

Thats right, but youre grasping at straws.We can make up scenarios for every posible outcome on a subject like this. Ofcourse it is implied that im talking about same conditions but different chargers. You cant expect me to chew everything for you, dont have that much text. You know science after all, and would know how the comparison would be done.
In retrospect, the key word on that post that got you triggered, with the pic of the opus you have an strong emotional connection to(and who am i to stand between love like that :) ) , was "posibly you could have a similar case like this" . You being a native english speaker and me not, you should better understand the meaning of possibly and similar.It doesnt mean definately and same :).
Either way, even though this going back and forth between us tickles my pickle, isnt helping the guy with the problem. So ill be done with it for the day, getting late here and youre keeping me up ;)

Intent of the pic wasnt to trash the opus, or was it? Well never know
We are talking about this pic in case someone missed it

Im calling my secret society OPUS DIE, and im on a crusade. get it? get it? :p :)

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

We can make up scenarios for every posible outcome on a subject like this. Ofcourse it is implied that im talking about same conditions but different chargers. You cant expect me to chew everything for you [...]

It's not a hypothetical scenario. Rather, it is quite common, esp. in basic chargers where the user has no control over the charge termination current (and possibly also the charge current). This means that the user does not have the capability to program the chargers so that both have equal parameters (your "same conditions"). As such, comparison of voltages hot-off the chargers may have little correlation to actual capacity charged. Rather - as I explained above - you have to wait till the cells are at resting voltage, esp. for older unhealthy cells - which take much longer to reach resting voltage.

Last edited:

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Re: 2nd gen dreamcharger presented on IFA Berlin 2014…

It works the same way as usual:
After a program is finished: press and hold the SNB button; - the last used program of this slot is flashing; Press this SNB button once, then you are in SPV mode; From now on you can select a new program with the up- down buttons; 1x Enter button; then press down key until last line: "SAVE TO" is displayed; 1x Enter; 1x up:
"SAVE TO: ALL SLOTS"; hold down Enter; that's it.:)

Thank you so much my friend, this actually works. You saved me a lot of time having to test ~300 cells, great! :candle:

So any ideas on where to go to be SURE to get the LATEST - two cooling fans, three raised points on positive terminal - VERSION of the MC3000?

Interesting.

I just asked at GB if I could be sure to get the latest ('version3') with 2 cooling fans and was told that this item only has one cooling fan!

MarioJP

Enlightened

Am i pushing the limits on these cells? Trying to find the max charge for my power bank. Terminating at 4.20 is not a full charge and continues to charge in the power bank. Raised the cut off voltage 4.23 at 20ma termination and that seemed to have worked. Now power bank says full immediately. Now i am wondering if i am still within limits. It sits at 4.22 even after 30 minutes of resting.

Thanks.
7624bdf70c73383c759652c40d55904b.jpg

Now power bank says full after 21 seconds. Not like before where it took 30-45 minutes at 4.20 even reducing the termination charge. Something tells me that this bank has a termination voltage of 4.23v instead of 4.20v
32f9df30753117d3f435d3b9800888b0.jpg
c5b32166423336012f39294297007264.jpg

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MarioJP,

I believe the specification is 4.20 volts plus or minus 0.05 volts. That means that a "full charge" is in the range of 4.15 - 4.25 volts.

If you are interested in cycle life, you would favor the lower number. If you are interested in maximum run time, you would favor the upper number.

Tom

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's unfortunate that the MC3000 doesn't let the user program the CC/CV algorithm with arbitrary numbers. It surely has the capability, and could have easily been done with a better UI. This would enable one to handle not only LTO but also anything else that may come along (within limits).

MarioJP

Enlightened

I read somewhere here that the next firmware my support LTO cells. What's so special about these cells anyways?

inetchik

Newly Enlightened

Hello.
Next good info from LTO ("LOT") cells support:

Please, check it (my charger in transit only), if possible.
If You not have LTO cells, tnen my idea:
2pcs Nixx in Series = ~2.4V (middle LTO Voltage) ;)

BR,

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened

Afer reading about LTO. I guess higher voltage does not matter anymore?? 2.4v LTO cells. Isn't that a bit low for a 18650 cell? I get the fast charge and safety aspect of it. Isn't that the reason why we have 3.6/3.7v cells in the first place?. The higher the voltage the better? Its like we going backwards for the sake of fast charge and safety. The capacity better be good at least.

Last edited: