SkyRC MC3000

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a far more capable hobby charger and power supply for that kind of money.

Apples vs oranges. Hobby chargers have one charge channel that supports packs (many cells in series), but the MC3000 has 4 independent charge channels that handle only single cells. They intersect on single cells, where they have comparable functionality, though hobby chargers usually support much higher power (since that is needed for larger packs).

BVH

Flashaholic
Actually, hobby chargers have from 1 to 4 independent channels so can charge the same quantity of 4 cells independently at the same time. Some of the 4-channel units sell for $50 on up and are as flexible in charge/discharge parameters as the MC3000.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Actually, hobby chargers have from 1 to 4 independent channels so can charge the same quantity of 4 cells independently at the same time. Some of the 4-channel units sell for $50 on up and are as flexible in charge/discharge parameters as the MC3000.

But they take up more space and are not as easy to use when working with round cells.

DSC_5829.jpg

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

99% of hobby chargers are single channel. The few hybrids I've seen that support 4 channels do not have the same range of features as does the MC3000, since they seem to be 4 lower-end units kludged into one case, so they lack advanced features such as wide range of (dis)charge termination, good logging software, smooth integration of channels, etc.

What 4 channel hobby chargers did you have in mind that compete with the MC3000?

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both and the Opus isn't even in the same league as the MC3000. If you don't have the cash the Opus is fine but if you want the best pay up and get the SkyRC, it will more than likely be the last charger you ever buy.

If you want the MC3000 for $80 email Robert stating that and give him your zip code. He will add on the actual USPS shipping to you and then send you a paypal invoice. He will ship it out the next day. This price is not available on his website or Amazon store or is it advertised. It is a special created for forum members. The chargers are the latest production with all the improvements.

Robert Negely
[email protected]
916-405-0183

Now you may be able to save a couple bucks ordering from one of the China Ebays but Robert ships out the next day so you get the item in 1 to 5 days depending on which coast your on instead 3 or 4 weeks, the mfg warranty is thru him here in the good old USA and you can reach him any time on the phone for questions or problems. It's a no brainer for me due to the warranty. If you buy from China and anything happens you have to send the unit back to China and the shipping is typically more than the item plus you may get it back in 6 months!

Thanks for this! I wrote to Robert soon as i read this! Thanks Thanks! :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
99% of hobby chargers are single channel. The few hybrids I've seen that support 4 channels do not have the same range of features as does the MC3000, since they seem to be 4 lower-end units kludged into one case, so they lack advanced features such as wide range of (dis)charge termination, quality logging, software, smooth integration of channels, etc.

What 4 channel hobby chargers did you have in mind that compete with the MC3000?

I've been searching and searching around, the closest i have ever seen are the Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon and the Opus 3100 V2.2 / Opus 3400 and the upcoming Nitecore SC4. Liito-Kala 500 is also close, but none can surpass this at this point.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
But they take up more space and are not as easy to use when working with round cells.

DSC_5829.jpg

Good point HKJ! Imagine so much space needed compared to something small like the Opus or the MC3000. But between the two, which is your pick? I've seen your reviews, both are not perfect and have flaws but if you had a choice between the two, which would you get and why?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Good point HKJ! Imagine so much space needed compared to something small like the Opus or the MC3000. But between the two, which is your pick? I've seen your reviews, both are not perfect and have flaws but if you had a choice between the two, which would you get and why?

When I got the MC3000 I put the hobby charger away. As long as I uses round cells the MC3000 is much more convenient and can do everything I need (and that does not even include logging on a computer).
Some of my points are:
  • MC3000 can fit any size round cell, that is not easy with a hobby charger
  • MC3000 has programs with all parameters, this makes it easy to switch between battery types.
  • MC3000 is much more compact (I have 3 standing in line).
  • MC3000 is fairly precise (I did calibrate it).

The only issues I have with the MC3000 is flat top cells must be mounted a bit high and that the sliders are made of a soft metal (I have to bend the slider back into vertical position once in a while).

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only issues I have with the MC3000 is flat top cells must be mounted a bit high and that the sliders are made of a soft metal (I have to bend the slider back into vertical position once in a while).
Valid points. They've been experimenting with different slider materials (and finishes) from the same supplier. Maybe they should simply change the supplier ;)

My very early prototypes had perfectly protruding positive terminals like the DRAGON VP4 PLUS which does not have contacting issues with Samsung/Panasonic unprotected batteries mounted low in de slot. Seems to be a tolerance thingy, so i am gonna report and hope for the best thanks!

btw to whom it may concern, there are ni preparations ni plans, ni fu ni fa, to develop a bigger/better model (mc3k II or mc3k1 or similar, which would also cost more!). they don't see any handlungsbedarf wiv dis niche charger project, maybe in distant future they gradually will. sure enough everybody involved has been learning a lot experience and they'd know where/how to improve then.

personally, i swallow imperfections/shortcomings and am just thankful for how far we've come with cpf community feedback and what we've got, that thing even got a pong screensaver because it was requested! and for me the home story continues, now with the expansion through raspi or lattepanda running dex.

so fun and :cool: