SL Strion...initial thoughts...beamshots added...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: SL Strion...initial thoughts...beamshots added

I have to ask this question. How much does a Strion replacement battery cost, and would the battery fit in a UBH? The Strion would be a short package for 3.6+volt applications.

Bill

kb0rrg

Enlightened

Has any body seen a good holster for the Strion yet?

pilot4x4

Enlightened

Did the Strion come with a holster? When I talked to Streamlight a month ago the woman I spoke with told me the lights would be shipped with a holster and colored filters.
John

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

is the strion the same diameter as the stinger ???
if it is then my open top stinger carrier would work
it is simply 2 layers of seatbelt stitched in a loop to another strip of seatbelt - again when i work out how to post pics i will

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Answers: Stinger bulb in Strion=Yellowish tinted beam. Not really good. Strion bulb in Stinger= noce white beam, and due to the STrion bulb's filament being closer to the base of the bulb, a really narrow focus can be achieved. Works very well.

No direct use Strion holsters are available. Some might work for other lights, though.

An interesting story about Li-Ion: I moved into a new place almost 3 years ago. At that time, I had a Pacbell cellphone that used a SIM card and a Li-Ion battery. Due to crappy service, I switched to AT&T, and put the PacBell phone in a box. Tonight, out of chance, I found the PacBell phone, and it still worked, showing about 30% battery life in three years from the Li-Ion battery. Not bad, considering the state of charge lasted three years.

--dan

Kabible

Enlightened

I remember hearing something about the Strion being shipped with a holster as well. I looked for one when mine showed up and was a bit disappointed. Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I do like the light's shape, size, performance and convenient fast/trickle charging method.
Brian

Samoan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't believe for one second the notion that li ion cells discharge only a few percent per year. A few percent per month, I can believe. Cell phones, digicams, laptop computers, camcorders, etc. all use li ion batteries these days and they do NOT stay charged up for years at a time when not in use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would have agreed with you here so I dug up a cell phone I haven't used in about 9 months. It had a full charge when it went into the "Emergency Phone" pile. I'll be damned, While I'm sure it isn't a true full charge, all the "charge segments" are on.

-Fern

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't think you can rely on those charge meters after the phone has been sitting idle for so long. My camcorder has a digital display that purports to tell how many runtime minutes should be left. It's reasonably accurate if you start out with a newly charged battery, but the number doesn't change much if you let the camera sit for a few months, and as a result it's way off.

It woudl be great if you could try using the phone normally for a few days and see if the charge really lasts anywhere near as long as a fresh charge would last. I'd be interested in hearing the results.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Paul,

My wife and I got vibrating battery packs for our cell phones and put the regular ones in the glove box for emergency use. I take them out once a year and run them through a cycle. Mine shows full charge on the phone (after a year in the glove box) and lasts 3 to 4 days of normal use which is about normal for me.

I have a Sony camcorder extra battery. Actually it is the battery pack that came with the camera. I have replaced it with a higher capacity battery pack. I pull it out once a year to run a cycle, and it seems to behave normally. I have not done any formal tests on it, but it seems to be at full charge and have good run time when I check it out.

My third case did not work out. I have a couple extra lap top computers that I use to interface with testing equipment. They are older IBM's. I noticed that when I turn the computer on it shows 50% after setting for a few months. I took one out after 1 year storage and it was at 0%. I thought it was because the battery pack was stored in the computer and the computer was draining it. I have a couple of extra battery packs and decided to check them. Once again the storage time is about one year. One pack was so dead that it would not accept a charge. The other one was at 0%.

There you have it. I have mixed results. My cell phone and camcorder batteries seem to take storage well, my lap top battery does not.

Tom

03lab

Enlightened

My Li-Ion batteries from cell phones and my camcorder also loose only about 10% a year which is up to spec for Li-Ion.

Tom, if your laptop is an older model, are you sure those are Li-Ion batteries?

R

Remco

Hello everybody, I am new on the board, but you must have guesed that allready. I ended up here in my search for more info on the Strion. I have been a very satisfied Stinger user for over ten years (law enforcement), but the size is starting to bother me. I carry so much stuff on my dutybelt that every inch i can safe in space is worth the effort. I found out about the Strion a few weeks ago and my local supplier couldn't give me any extra info. Would you reccomend to switch to the Strion ?
Thanks for the info

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remco, welcome to CPF! If you are looking for a replacement for your Stinger in a smaller package then the Strion is probably the way to go. It is much smaller and lighter, with a very similar output. One option to get one may be have one shipped to someone in the US, and have them ship it to you. Overall, the Strion is a very nice Stinger replacement in a smaller package. If you would like any specific photos/beamshots/comparisons I would be happy to take and post them.

-Mike

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello 03lab,

The lap top battery pack is labeled Lithium Ion. I don't know what cells it has in it. I need to take one apart to check it out.

Tom

R

Remco

He Mike, thanks for the fast reply. I just received a message from my local supplier. He told me the first Strion will arrive somewhere mid-june, so i guess i'll just wait two or three more weeks. But it is good to know the Strion carries almost the same punch as the Stinger, only in a smaller package. Thanks for the info and i will let you know when i get mine. Stay Safe !
Remco.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even if you shut down your laptop, it continues to consumpt battery although only very little.

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Just received my Strion which is charging now. I may be able to test it tomorrow night, though Dano and others have already given us a good idea of its capabilities.

Remco,
Welcome to CPF! Dano is a LEO so his observations about the Strion will be particularly relevant for you.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Compared: Strion, Stinger, PM6, TL-2

Initial testing was indoors using a variety of surfaces at ranges from 22-28 feet. The newly charged Strion was compared with a fully charged Polystinger, a PM6 with about five minutes of prior use and a TL-2 with fresh SF 123's.

Result: The Strion's excellent Stinger-like beam was at least as bright and slightly whiter than the Polystinger's; a fine beam by any standards. However, the PM6 (Fixed focus lamp module) was much brighter and whiter with an intense central core and somehat irregular corona, less smooth the Strion's beam but substantially more penetrating.

My first thought was that I had an under-par Strion but I had to rule that out since it compared so favorably with the PolyStinger. Perhaps the Strion's reflector couldn't compete with the famous PM6 reflector but when I tried putting the PM6 reflector over the Strion's lamp I couldn't get a proper focus. Finally, using a large mirror at a distance of about 8 feet I exposed the bare bulbs of both lights. They were both very white but the PM6's lamp was distinctly brighter than the Strion's. Did I have an atypically bright PM6? I compared it to two other (focusable) PM6's and they were more similar than different and all three were brighter than the Strion.

I noticed that the Strion's bezel looked very familiar and saw that it and its reflector were virtually identical to the TL-2's, the only difference being a more subtly textured Strion reflector. They are, in fact, interchangeable, and the Strion's beam is very similar to the TL-2's beam though it was brighter than my TL-2 with fresh SF batteries.

Based on these non-instrumented indoor tests the Strion lives up to its billing as a pint-sized Stinger replacement, and that is cause for enthusiasm, especially for LEO's who can now take a few ounces and inches off their duty belts. The Strion proved to be a very adequate if not perfect fit in my several-year-old Surefire nylon 6P holster, and the pinched-off holster bottom did not trigger the counterrotated tailswitch even when firm pressure was applied.

One very nice additional feature of the Strion is its ability to accommodate use of the "syringe" grip, where the light is held between 3rd and 4th fingers and activated by palm pressure. Because the outer tailcap rim functions semi-independantly from the central tail button, activation with any part of the palm is very convenient using mild to moderate pressure. This feature can be deactivated by a slight cc rotation when only central button activation is desired. As a bonus the light will stand on end.

Considering its superior beam, excellent build, ample reported runtime and unusually light weight the Strion appears to be a first-rate instrument and a worthy replacement for the Stinger, though time will tell more about its reliability and resistance to abuse.

However, as demonstrated earlier, for those of us obsessed by "smallest and brightest of the bright" the Strion may not be quite what we were hoping for. Too bad Pilas don't work with a PM6. Pelican, are you listening?

I will do some outdoor tests tomorrow and I look forward to more thorough testing by other colleagues.

Brightnorm

kb0rrg

Enlightened

Thanks for the a report /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Re: SL Strion...initial thoughts...so far...

After looking at Xrunner's pictures, it looks like the Strion is about the same size as the Scorpion. If so, our Academy's Canteen sells both basketweave leather and nylon web style closed-top holsters that fit the Scorpion. They are $23.35 & $13.55 Canadian (plus 14% sales tax), so if anyone would like me to buy them one, let me know. Unfortunately, I do not have a PayPal account, so you would have to send a Postal Money Order. I can check out the cost of shipping and let anyone know. The holsters are made by a local company that makes some of the leather gear we are issued.