Small Batch of Tri-EDC's

ledcarry

Enlightened
Scout24,

Great job with the technical write up and beam shots regarding the fabulous Mac Tri-EDC. Also, congrats to all the new buyers today who got in on the official 1st Run of these amazing lights.

JM

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
I notice most went for the 4500k in the first run and I went for 6500k but cant tell you why other then I heard they are brighter which seems cool.

What should I be considering between the 2 choices so I can finalize my choice?

Thanks

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice most went for the 4500k in the first run and I went for 6500k but cant tell you why other then I heard they are brighter which seems cool.

What should I be considering between the 2 choices so I can finalize my choice?

Thanks

You may consider to use the search function! :poke:

Though we gladly give advices here, the tint can't really be adviced. I guess you know that 6500K is "cool" white and 4500K is "neutral" white? The cooler the tint, the less phosphor in the emitter and the brighter it is. That's why most lights that are sold are cool whites.

If you perform a search, you'll find numerous threads about warmer tints, some love it, some hate it, some are constantly in search for THE tint, I'm one of those. My personal choice is the 4500K as it has the best tint I currently can imagine for such a powerfull emitters. I own 2 Triples from Oveready, which use the same board, the cool white is brighter, but the neutral one gives a better rendering of colors and makes things look more 3D, at least to my eyes. Remember, that's my personal choice, another member will come and tell you the 6500K is the best one as it is so bright.

So, search for beamshots and make yourself an idea, in case of doubt take the 6500K, that's the tint you already know, so you'll not do a mistake. Some people sold their first neutral light the very first day the got it, as it's not their thing...

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may consider to use the search function! :poke:

Though we gladly give advices here, the tint can't really be adviced. I guess you know that 6500K is "cool" white and 4500K is "neutral" white? The cooler the tint, the less phosphor in the emitter and the brighter it is. That's why most lights that are sold are cool whites.

If you perform a search, you'll find numerous threads about warmer tints, some love it, some hate it, some are constantly in search for THE tint, I'm one of those. My personal choice is the 4500K as it has the best tint I currently can imagine for such a powerfull emitters. I own 2 Triples from Oveready, which use the same board, the cool white is brighter, but the neutral one gives a better rendering of colors and makes things look more 3D, at least to my eyes. Remember, that's my personal choice, another member will come and tell you the 6500K is the best one as it is so bright.

So, search for beamshots and make yourself an idea, in case of doubt take the 6500K, that's the tint you already know, so you'll not do a mistake. Some people sold their first neutral light the very first day the got it, as it's not their thing...

Henk_Lu is 100% correct IMHO. Each person has their preference, and no preference is 'wrong'...that's the beauty of choice! I had the cool and the neutral Oveready drop ins he mentions, and yes, my integrating sphere confirms that the cool was 100 lumen (roughly) brighter - yet my preference is strongly for the neutral. To me, the cool washes out the colors in things...color rendition isn't critical for me, heck, I'm just walking my dogs in the dark, but it is much more pleasing to my eyes - enough so that the trade off/giving up of the extra brightness of the cool is worth it.

Ultimately everyone must choose for themselves, but looking at the tint choices everyone made it seems that 4500k is the majority choice. Still, those folks that chose 6500k have their reasons!

This is the most "definite maybe" response I've ever given....:eek:
lovecpf

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link to the manual, palimpsest.

I've just been having a read of it. The programmable medium will be nice too.

I don't have much use for disco modes, but it's nice to know they're there (and nicely buried) if I need them.

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
I don't have much use for disco modes, but it's nice to know they're there (and nicely buried) if I need them.
Please, don't draw conclusion too quickly, i really ignore which Lux-RC's engine Mac is using for the Tri-EDC.
I'm not sure all options are available with all Lux-RC engine.

JMP

Enlightened
My lime green Tri-EDC arrived today.

First thing, I was shocked at it's size, this thing small!

The lime green powder is really bright and it kinda goes with my XBOX:huh:. Fit and finish is great, but I do notice the black specs that were mentioned in the first post.

The clip works great and will keep the light secure and in place. It may also wear down whatever you're putting on over time.

It's not yet dark here in Seattle so I've been down in the basement trying it out.

I'll echo everyone ones else's comments about how bright it is. Very, especially considering it's small size. I opted for the 45k tint as I don't really own any warm lights. I find that its very pleasing to the eyes. Very distinct colors and depth.

Also, I asked mac if these first 8 would fit the 18350 Cell as the 1st run and he said no.(just in case anyone from this batch is wondering.)

Thats it for now. Still five or so hours till it's dark around here. I've got a fresh cell waiting.

Last edited: