So,.....I have a problem....too many recent purchases.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Flashlights also tend to not scare folks. A few years ago I worked with a guy who was shocked and just a wee bit fearful that I carried a discrete pocket folder, a light duty Benchmade. I could understand that he didn't expect a sophisticated urbanite like me to carry one of life's essential tools, but fearful? I consider that reaction to be worrisome.
I was checked going into a concert recently. They made me toss my 2" (unfolded) knife but let me keep my tactical flashlight that triples as a kubatan or nun-chuc. (And doesn't strobe)
Yup.

Good thing I didn't have nail clippers too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And as for two of the Olights I have, after getting the new Seeker 4 Pro, I really don't need them...but yeah, wouldn't be able to sell them for much....certainly far less than I paid for them.
Hate to break it to you, but that's every single brand out there. Even SureFire. You're just not going to financially re-coup your investment. Only exception is if you have something very desirable that is over a decade old, and lamps can still be purchased for it.

This is literally one of the cheapest hobbies out there when buying new lights. But that means used models are also priced accordingly.

Hate to break it to you, but that's every single brand out there. Even SureFire. You're just not going to financially re-coup your investment. Only exception is if you have something very desirable that is over a decade old, and lamps can still be purchased for it.

This is literally one of the cheapest hobbies out there when buying new lights. But that means used models are also priced accordingly.
The only lights I sold (for anything approaching the original cost) were out-of-production limited editions that lots of members wanted, especially when looking to add to their collections, or replace favorites that they no longer had in their possession. For not-so-rare lights, I've generally received higher prices by selling at summer and fall flea markets in my area. Most of the lights I sold at these venues were very lightly used, and many were virtually new (I keep the original boxes for just this purpose). A majority of my buyers at autumn flea markets buy the lights as holiday gifts for young family members. The buyers get a good light at a discount; I get a better price for the light than experienced flashaholics would pay; and the recipient gets a higher-performing light than his relatives might otherwise afford.

I've also donated more than a few 1xAA lights to local shelters. I'm repeatedly told by shelter staff that for a homeless person, having a small pocket light that can be readily and cheaply refueled is sometimes a material improvement in their difficult lives. If you have a handful of 1xAA or 1xAAA lights you don't use, consider donating them to a worthy cause.

Finally, you might be eligible for a charitable gift deduction (assuming you itemize, or can donate via your business), by donating a new or like-new light to a charity auction event. Just make sure that your claimed value is legitimate (i.e. - is supported by a receipt, or at least doesn't exceed the average price for the item as sourced on the internet).

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given some away to people...but not to shelters. Mostly family members. At this point, I really don't have any 1xAA lights I could do that with. The only only one I currently own is a Fenix L1P. That's a bit of an older light for ya!

As for what I tried to sell, they were mostly discontinued lights. But with these Olights, I might see if my local pawn shop that I deal with a lot would be interested in selling them.

About eight or nine years ago I decided to utilize a governor on my flashlight spending. Since then I've only purchased one brand .... well, two actually: 4Sevens and Foursevens. Fortunately, the new owner has brought a few new lights to market, and the second-hand/modders are producing some great prizes.

Image 8-26-22 at 10.13 AM.jpg

Image 8-26-22 at 10.21 AM.jpg

365179095_10229702250436469_3919117681983281187_n.jpg

365275435_10229702250636474_8625748679970219213_n.jpg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
If knives are bad why are retail packaging and parcels so difficult to open with your bare hands?
The world continues to become more and more of a "p&ssified" place, or at least that's just the observation I've made over the past decade and a half or so. - at a very alarming pace.

Too many niceties, too many luxuries available to most in any developed country, that makes them take for granted things that not too long ago were only in one's imagination.
Needless to say I unapologetically carry whatever tool I see fit to carry (within my legal means of course), including not only a knife but a firearm as well.

Lastly, I feel this is only the start of your obsession, I think it will grow from here and before you know it you will need several shelves to house all your new acquisitions!

I'm more so in the stage of having found what works and what checks all the right boxes for me, obviously this will differ from person to person Depending on tons of variables including where you live and what you need your light for.

Today if I had to shed some lights from my collection and keep only 3 - I'd be keeping 2 malkoffs and 1 HDS rotary. Solid USA lights, that just seem to keep on working no matter what you throw at them.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart's light selection is so bad that if I wasn't already in the hobby I wouldn't find anything about their lights to be interesting. Outsourced, poor performance, low quality, high price, etc.