So...I'm not the only one that prefers a flashlight over a pocket knife after all.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I find that I use both about equally. I don't think I could pick just one or the other... EDC both FTW!!

dscn2952o.jpg

dsc02547z.jpg

pack carry (light camping)
dscn6284j.jpg

dscn6285.jpg

Key ring EDC, often times this is all I EDC.
dscn6286.jpg

dscn6288u.jpg

Last edited:

Bladedude

Newly Enlightened
I carry both, cycle my edc knives but usually carry a Benchmade Griptillian 154CM clipped to my right pocket and a Fenix ld10 R4 clipped to my left pocket and always a Ka-Bar TDI 2" blade in a kydex belt holster on my left side and a ITP a1 in my left cargo pocket. "1 is none and 2 is one".

adamjh3

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe that only six months ago I never carried a flashlight on me. I've started having at least one on me around the house, at least two when I go out, and three on-duty. Don't know how I got by before.

I also can't quite figure out why money keeps disappearing from my paypal...

I've always carried a knife, though, and I've gotten into carrying other "preparedness" items on me. Seems like a lot of these hobbies go hand in hand.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've carried a pocketknife from age 13 on, but when I was growing up flashlights (incans) that were small enough to pocket were expensive and suffered from lousy output and runtime. I now carry two knives, a 3 bladed buck SS, and a small knife with fingernail file, scissors, toothpick, and tweezers. I carry two flashlights a UK2AAA led, and a LD01SS. I only wish I could get a decent 2-3 blades swiss type knife but the blades for them are rather plain nothing like I tend to use.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started carrying a knife when I was 10 years old. I only started EDCing a light when i was about 25.

Now, I carry a Mini 123 or a Peak El Capitan, and a SAK or Kershaw scallion paired with a Leatherman core.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
I normally carry a pocket knife and a flashlight when going out at night - off duty. But to certain places, like big stores where security are tight and ready, I will carry a small AAA light (iTP A3 - best value ever to my experience, or Fenix AAA) with a tactical pen (mostly benchmade). A3+benchmade pen have helped a security personnel over a troubled shoplifter once. My best flashlight is Inova T2-MP, my best pocket knife is SOG Flash 2, and best tac pen is Benchmade :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried assorted Victorinox Swiss Army Knives (VSAK) over the years since I was 18. Yeah, the Swisschamp is too big for pants pockets but I tried it in my younger days. My favorite VSAK is the Explorer. I have a black Classic on my house keychain and use a black VSAK money clip. I also carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Centofante assisted opening liner lock. I've carried assorted liner locks through the years, also.

My current EDC lights are an ITP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition (which is being replaced with a Quark SS Preon ReVO), a QMiNi 123 or modified SureFire KL4 on a single CR123a twisty body, and a SureFire G2X Pro in my jacket pocket.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Back when I was in the Army I started off carrying a leatherman and then both a tool and a CMG Infinity. Some time before I moved to a Fenix I found I was using the light a lot more. I need to fly semi-regularly, and that also helped to push the knife out of my pocket. By the time I moved to an HDS I stopped carrying the tool and I seldom miss it (although I do have an Atwood gasbaby in my wallet).

I'm ready to face any emergency with a flashlight, sensible shoes, and my wits.

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:,I think the most floks in this forum will say yes .This is one of the reasons why we come to the CPF.Flashlight is great,beautiful beam and cool design,excellent runtime.It is very helpful to our life,just as one guy said with these flashlights the dark will fear me not i fear the dark:nana:.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I like the looks of that Leatherman sheath. Did you rig something up or is that available from somewhere? I see a multi tool sheath with something similar from Leatherman, but different than the one you pictured. Thanks

It was part of a L1T-V2 + Leatherman blast combo pack. Costco had them a couple years ago for $45.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK we are not allowed to carry a fixed blade knife ... We can carry a folding knife with a blade under 3" long ... If the blade locks in place it is not classed as a folding knife and even if the blade is under three inches long , it is an offensive weapon ... I carry an 11 function "Swiss Card" by Victorinox which contains a 1.5" fixed blade knife ... It fits easily in a credit-card slot in my wallet ... Technically this is illegal in the UK whereas a folding knife (non-locking) with a blade just under three inches would be legal ... My Leatherman tool has a blade that is just under the UK limit and is also legal ... The sharp edge of my other Swiss Army Knife is 3.1" long and has a locking blade therefore is totally illegal to carry in the UK.

I must now look for a non-locking folding-knife with a sub-three-inch blade so that I comply with UK regulations ... Even then , I must also have good reason for carrying one ... A bottle-opener plus a corkscrew and can-opener would seem to be essential additions to the EDC folding knife for it to at least appear to be an essential everyday tool.

A 6" steel non-retractable ballpoint pen is not an offensive weapon apparently though it might be better to carry one with a retractable tip ... I wonder if a fountain pen (fixed nib) would be classed as dangerous , particularly with a good strong steel nib ... We have strange laws in the UK ... They took all my handguns away to be shredded , will they do the same to my dangerous pen collection ?

Xacto

Enlightened
In the UK we are not allowed to carry a fixed blade knife ... We can carry a folding knife with a blade under 3" long ...[...].

Don't worry, Germany is not far behind the UK when it comes to stupid weapon laws... and I am not even thinking about handguns. So long as Fisher is producing quality ballpens, we still have *some* change to legally carry something out of metal on an EDC basis.

Cheers
Thorsten

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time i carry (2) lights and (2) knives. In my pockets are usually a liteflux lf2xt and kershaw leek and on a carabiner a muyshondt aeon, spyderco ladybug, benchmade mini sharpener, and spare battery. If i have lots of pockets it can be several more lights usually (mcgizmo haiku warm, orange hds clicky, and some form of milkyspit)..lovecpf