Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
The bluish tint doesn't bother me. It is 5600k after all and it's just a cheapie light. I did expect better color rendition though. Compared to my Aeon MKIII and Maratac AAA , both with nichia 219 high CRI emitters this isn't even in the same area code as far as color rendering is concerned. I'll do some comparison pics later this evening.

I have 2 5600K version and 1 3200K version. I have compared the 5600K version to my Fenix HL10 which is spec to harbour Philip 5700K LED. The 5600K C01 looks cooler than the 5700K HL10. When compared side by side with my Eagletac D25A with cool XP-G, they closely resembled each other tint wise. So I'd say the 5600K version is more like 6500K in reality. :duh2: There is also slight purple tint at the center and a warmer corona around. :shrug: The 3200K version is more uniform though. In my case, I find the 3200K version more appealing. :)

Even though the 5600K version is a bit too cool for my liking, the CRI it shows is still better than the cool Eagtac D25A. If the purple tint is absent from the C01 you guys have, then I'd guess the issue might be the inconsistency with Yuji's manufacturing. Is it really not as cool as 6500K?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 5600K version and 1 3200K version. I have compared the 5600K version to my Fenix HL10 which is spec to harbour Philip 5700K LED. The 5600K C01 looks cooler than the 5700K HL10. When compared side by side with my Eagletac D25A with cool XP-G, they closely resembled each other tint wise. So I'd say the 5600K version is more like 6500K in reality. :duh2: There is also slight purple tint at the center and a warmer corona around. :shrug: The 3200K version is more uniform though. In my case, I find the 3200K version more appealing. :)

Even though the 5600K version is a bit too cool for my liking, the CRI it shows is still better than the cool Eagtac D25A. If the purple tint is absent from the C01 you guys have, then I'd guess the issue might be the inconsistency with Yuji's manufacturing. Is it really not as cool as 6500K?

The beam on mine is quite even as far as tint goes, no purple at all. Comparing it to my 3 5000K Nichias, the Yuji doesn't look too far off.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitters are not always an exact temperature guys, they are binned in a range. I don't how tight Yuji's bins are but, with Cree the range is 200-300 Kelvin I believe(don't feel like looking up the exact amount lol). So, just because a manufacturer tells you a light comes with a certain temperature emitter does no always mean it will be exactly that. There is often a bit of a CCT lottery in addition to the tint lottery.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitters are not always an exact temperature guys, they are binned in a range. I don't how tight Yuji's bins are but, with Cree the range is 200-300 Kelvin I believe(don't feel like looking up the exact amount lol). So, just because a manufacturer tells you a light comes with a certain temperature emitter does no always mean it will be exactly that. There is often a bit of a CCT lottery in addition to the tint lottery.

I have 4 total, 2 in each CCT. These are all from the initial November 22. I can confirm variance. They dont seem to be too bad though and are close to spec. I am not sure if Sofirn disclosed what tint bins they received or if they are all from the same bin

rtxb8AV.png

C4QzW1s.png

sECb9Ga.png

8hC6TFs.png

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The datasheet for the Yuji 5mm specifies 3050K to 3350K for the warm and 5300K to 5900K for the daylight version.

If you ended up with a 5900K Yuji and compared it to a Phillips that is nominally 5700K, but likewise has a tolerance that put it at 5400K, the Yuji would appear a bit cooler.

Also, I wonder if the interaction with the "reflector" in the C01 could be affecting tint for some people. I know when I swapped a Yuji into an old emergency light with an aspheric lens, I got a rather ugly rainbow in the beam as a result.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The datasheet for the Yuji 5mm specifies 3050K to 3350K for the warm and 5300K to 5900K for the daylight version.

If you ended up with a 5900K Yuji and compared it to a Phillips that is nominally 5700K, but likewise has a tolerance that put it at 5400K, the Yuji would appear a bit cooler.

Also, I wonder if the interaction with the "reflector" in the C01 could be affecting tint for some people. I know when I swapped a Yuji into an old emergency light with an aspheric lens, I got a rather ugly rainbow in the beam as a result.
Thank you iamlucky13. I have looked up the specs for Cree and Nichia multiple times to explain this to people and was just too lazy to go and find Yugi's bin variance lol. I figured it was similar anyway and was right.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Both of my 5600k units arrived the other day. Tints are different between units, as well as hotspot size and definition.

My modded E01 with the 5600k has zero hotspot, so I'm assuming it's just how these were set into the reflector.

I'll play some more in the upcoming days.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of my 5600k units arrived the other day. Tints are different between units, as well as hotspot size and definition.

My modded E01 with the 5600k has zero hotspot, so I'm assuming it's just how these were set into the reflector.

I'll play some more in the upcoming days.

What beam angle is the LED in your E01? Sofirn is using the 60 degree variant in the C01.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

congrats.. what color Sofirn bodies did you buy?

imo, the Sofirn w hotspot (the red and blue ones) have more polished reflector than the E01.. so if you rough up the reflector in the Sofirn, to be a bit matte, like the Fenix, the hotspot will go away

ime, the black Sofirn had almost no hotspot, because the reflector was less shiny than the red and blue run

What beam angle is the LED in your E01? Sofirn is using the 60 degree variant in the C01.

good point! the picture of the box of Yujis on skylumen are 45 degree, and I agree the Sofirn are 60 degree

My modded E01 with the 5600k has zero hotspot,

I dont understand why you say the E01 has no hotspot, your photo shows a very large and strong hotspot:
Both my 5600k arrived. One on the left, the other on the right and a 5600k modded E01 in the middle.
c62e81c66a671cae72ca4eb429b79054.jpg

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

imo, the Sofirn w hotspot (the red and blue ones) have more polished reflector than the E01.. so if you rough up the reflector in the Sofirn, to be a bit matte, like the Fenix, the hotspot will go away

ime, the black Sofirn had almost no hotspot, because the reflector was less shiny than the red and blue run

good point! the picture of the box of Yujis on skylumen are 45 degree, and I agree the Sofirn are 60 degree
Isn't that strange... I wonder if that was supposed to be intentional, the differences in reflectors? Aren't the same LED's being used?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yujis are offered in both 60 and 45 degree beams
Thanks.

I just got my Sofirn C01, with 5600k tint. I have to say, it's beautiful. I've got an old L3 Illumination L10 AA with Nichia emitter. Comparing to the C01, the L10 looks greenish. I have an Astrolux S43 with Nichia 219B, and the C01 looks a little cooler in comparison, but nicely so. Just less warmth, but no trace of greenish hues. A very nice neutral-warm beam, exactly what I want for a light like this. I got mine in red and it's a very nice tone, shifted a little towards burgundy.

The lack of a reflector feels odd. Obviously the LED is somewhat protected by the plastic bulb surrounding it and deeply inset. But the reflector is exposed to debris and possible scratching. I wouldn't keychain this light. The clip is on tight, but it does come off without scratching the anodizing. You can't pull it straight off--you have to pull it from the side. And it's a nice design touch that the clip can be reversed for hat brim mounting. But overall, I'm happy that I got this. A very nicely made simplistic backup task light.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
xevious said:
The lack of a reflector feels odd. ... I wouldn't keychain this light.

I can understand it seems unusual not to have a glass lens over an LED, especially if you have never seen a Fenix E01, nor Arc AAA.
fwiw, people keychain those without issues. They are rough and tumble lights, if you want them to be :)

So glad you enjoy the 5600k High CRI. I think it is an exceptional opportunity to enjoy Cool(er) High CRI, than the typical 4000k N219b and c

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand it seems unusual not to have a glass lens over an LED, especially if you have never seen a Fenix E01, nor Arc AAA.
fwiw, people keychain those without issues. They are rough and tumble lights, if you want them to be :)

So glad you enjoy the 5600k High CRI. I think it is an exceptional opportunity to enjoy Cool(er) High CRI, than the typical 4000k N219b and c
I hear you. I have seen the Fenix E01, but the bezel is really thick... on the C01, it's quite thin, meaning there's less material to "buffer" from things touching the interior. But yeah, I imagine if the reflector does get scratched it won't really show up on the beam. It's quite matte as it is.

Yes, definitely that cooler Hi CRI is nice. I do enjoy the 219B at 4000K, but I think in the C01 it would be a bit dim with it given the driver. How hard can these Yuji Hi CRI emitters be driven? I've not checked into the brand, but would be great if they've got some SMD LED's in Hi CRI as well.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the C01 cone feels slightly steeper than on the Fenix. I compared mine and the Fenix has a shelf, black arrow, and I agree even though the design change is slight, there is a difference in feel. The C01 also seems to have a thinner outer edge, that feels slightly, but noticeably, sharper when I press my finger on the edge of the bezel.

surprisingly small manufacturing changes, translate to noticeable differences, in the user experience
I like the slighly gentler Fenix feel better. I have delicate hands.. LOL
If Fenix came with Yuji, I would like that too. For me, high cri is first priority.

NmQn4Yx.png

MTKzRbX.png

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the C01 cone feels slightly steeper than on the Fenix. I compared mine and the Fenix has a shelf, black arrow, and I agree even though the design change is slight, there is a difference in feel. The C01 also seems to have a thinner outer edge. The Sofirn is slightly, but noticeably, sharper when I press my finger on the edge of the bezel.

surprising such a small manufacturing changes translates to, in the user experience
I like the slighly gentler Fenix feel better. I have delicate hands.. LOL
If Fenix came with Yuji, I would like that too. For me, high cri is first priority.

NmQn4Yx.png

MTKzRbX.png
Thanks Jon, excellent comparison photos. You illustrated my point perfectly -- look at all those scratches on the E01 reflector! But you could easily take some micromesh to it and smooth it all out if you really wanted to. Yeah, that edge on the C01 feels a bit pointed. In any case, I'm curious to see if I can find a plastic cap guard for it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont want the shiny cone that the Sofirn has, I plan to sand it so it looks like the fenix. I want to get rid of the hotspot in the Sofirn. People who like hotspots, will like the red and blue C01s. The black ones were not as shiny, and so had less hotspot, which is one of the things I like about the Yuji LED. It has its own lens built in, and for me, works great with no hotspot.. its the shiny bezel in the new Sofirns, that brought the hotspot along..

choices are good
and take note that Fenix is discontinued, and Sofirn may or may not make more C01s
years from now people will remember this time as the unique point in Cockroach history, when High CRI reached the masses.. LOL

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I dont understand why you say the E01 has no hotspot, your photo shows a very large and strong hotspot:
A flaw in the picture. No hotspot person. Maybe I should do separate pics.

Latest posts