Solarforce hosts --are they really quality? Yes

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened
I would go ahead and purchase some 18650's. If you get the L2i you can just run AAA's in the meantime. I've never been impressed with the CR123 batteries, they cost too much for what you get.

sandanbob

Newly Enlightened
Re: Solarforce hosts --are they really quality?

They have now released a 2011 version of the L2P which has a shortened body.

You can buy just the body for ~$10.

BlackRose- where have you seen them for that price? Thanks!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I would go ahead and purchase some 18650's. If you get the L2i you can just run AAA's in the meantime. I've never been impressed with the CR123 batteries, they cost too much for what you get.
Do you know that AAAs contain about three times less energy compared to AA? Since you get them at the same price most of the time you can say just that:
they cost too much for what you get
for AAA as well ;)

sandanbob

Newly Enlightened

The newer 2011 edition for that price?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

AAA's are a waste for anything except a keychain light. 18650's are the ultimate power source for a flashlight; best balance of output, size, and run-time of any cell available. After that, I think AA's are the best choice. The 3xAAA is just there because it's a convenient match to the average driver voltage for most P60 modules.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

AAA's may not be great, but I like the L2i host with 3 AAA's. It is great for occasional use, or emergency use.

ltxi

Newly Enlightened

Recently back into lights and just discovered the L2 hosts. Great for the price and like that they take 18650s. Especially like the HAIIIs. Threads and O-rings do need to be lubed. Appear most come dry.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

The newer 2011 edition for that price?
That's just for the battery tube, not including a head or tailcap.

You can get a 2011 L2 shipped for just under $15 or a 2011 L2P shipped for $21 or $22 (black and grey respective).
Blue or yellow/Gold L2P cost $27 each shipped.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened

Just got one of the grey ones and dropped a Malkoff M61 in it. It is a loose fit (unless you do the soda can trick). I will have to say I'm pretty impressed. I had ordered a Solarforce XPG dropin at the same time, but ended up putting in the Malkoff. The Solarforce dropin went to a SF G3. I started out with it in the Solarforce but just didnt care for the super hot spot it put out.

Motodeficient

Newly Enlightened

L2i is no longer available anyway. You will have a tough time finding a new one. Just get the 2011 L2, great host.

ltxi

Newly Enlightened

My new favorite general/all purpose/duty price line tactical light is an L2T host with an AW 18650 3100 and a ThruNite XML single mode drop in. Would be happy to pay the extra for an HA III version, but at current prices the body is as disposable as a shirt if it gets too beat up in use. Putting that all together for under $65 is a bargain, imo

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I mentioned "body" in my previous post, I really meant just the battery tube.

And what arrived today you may ask....a revised 2011 L2P battery tube :)

Here's a picture to show the difference in length between the original and revised designs:
original L2P on the left, 2011 revision on the right.

L2P_Compare.jpg

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I ask how "old" was your original L2P? How long ago did you buy it?

moodysj

Newly Enlightened

Just got my L2T with a solarforce 820 lm t6 dropin. Draws about 2.4 A at the tail with fresh lithium primaries. It's bright, compared to my Kobalt 500 lm it has a wider hotspot and more spill, but the Kobalt has more throw. I'm happy with it given the price I paid.

kontonChaos

Newly Enlightened
The problem could be with the drop in. I bought the XM-L five mode from dx that had connection probems, then I paid more for a higher quality one and it worked perfectly.

tomtetom

Newly Enlightened
I have a L2T and the Quality is very good! I was surprised when the package arrived how good it is!

Tom

chrischoi

Newly Enlightened

I just wanted to let everyone know they are down to $5.99 + $2 for shipping to the States.