Solarforce Skyline Driving Impressions Ø HEAVY GRAPHICS Ø

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't pass up on one these for only $27. I really love my Solarforce MPP1, I don't think this match the throw but should still be pretty respectable. I suspect it'll make a great "see whats rustling in my yard" light.

Nokoff

Enlightened
just received my Skyline I...pinpoint throw is good like the beamshots, though my lens is cloudy looking..is there a good clear or multicoated replacement lens?

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
According to measurements by BigChelis the Skyline I will put out about 145-ish lumens using 2 x CR123 and about 125-ish lumens using 1 x 18650.

I don't have any CR123 batteries - is it worth buying some for the sake of 20 lumens? Would I even notice the difference if I'm standing 100 feet away from what I'm pointing at?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my skyline as well. Cool light, it actually looks to be a little tighter than my Masterpiece Pro-1, but less intense. I too have a cloudy lens, too bad cause just a week ago I ordered new UCLs for my MPP-1, L2 and L2P but forgot about the Solarforce I had in the mail:oops:

I like the switch and UI too, it's simple and easy to use. Can't wait til it gets dark out to see how it does at long range. Oh a note: if it matters to anyone, my ebay Skyline did not come with a holster but did come with spare tailcap boot and strap. It's still an amazing deal but just something to look out for if you use a holster (I don't...ever).

fishx65

Enlightened
Seems like a lot of new owners of this light are not to thrilled with it's output. I'm on vacation right now and have one waiting for me at home. Any ideas yet about making this torch brighter? Think it's easy to mod?

Art

Enlightened
Mine reads 13k lux .
It is a very well built light but I was expecting more throw then my T20C2.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
My complaints are:

1) It's not that bright when compared to other lights I have

2) It flickers on low-low mode, they shouldn't have allowed it to go down so low if its just going to flicker.

Also, I found no way to unscrew the head from the light. I tried to unscrew the bezel by hand, but no go. Any tricks? heat maybe?

Omicron

Newly Enlightened
Mine unscrewed by hand without too much trouble. I suspect yours is just torqued down a lot, rather than being glued. A strap wrench might do it.

fishx65

Enlightened
Just got my hands on one today. Very nice torch! Great build quality, super smooth threads, awesome user interface and the deepest reflector I've ever seen. Like others have said, it has a super tight hotspot that should really throw. My longest LED thrower right now is the Dorcy 220 but I think this Skyline is gonna beat it. It is a little head heavy but not uncomfortable to hold at all. Makes an awesome area light when you take off the head. Seems like a heck of a deal for 27 bucks!

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Definitely the best $27 light I ever bought. The PWM is pretty bad on low, but I wasn't expecting this to be a light I'll use on anything but high.

I picked up a Skyline II at the same time. I like that even better; it throws very well, and is pocketable.

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
Mine unscrewed by hand without too much trouble. I suspect yours is just torqued down a lot, rather than being glued. A strap wrench might do it.
I had zero trouble unscrewing mine by hand either. Also the body of mine unscrews from the head. Does that mean an extension (and a 2nd 18650) could be installed?

And since I'm here - does anyone know if you can use the new AW 2600mAh button-less 18650's in the Skyline I?

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Wish I had a tailcap like the Skyline's on all my L2's and my 6P. Awesome and very simple user interface!!!! Anyone know if an infinitely variable tailcap exists for the L2? The Skyline tailcap will function when I hold it on my L2 but it won't screw down because of different threads.

Last edited:

geezer

Newly Enlightened
The AW 2600mAh 18650 works just fine in the Skyline 1 (no magnet required).

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
Bought 1 but returned it. It had dings and scratches on the bezel. Seller told me it was his last stock. Lens is kind of foggy and the reflector does not have the sheen of a Luma VX turbo head and the Tiablo A9's. My Led Lenser M7 out throws the 3 aforementioned torches btw.

Art

Enlightened
My complaints are:

1) It's not that bright when compared to other lights I have

2) It flickers on low-low mode, they shouldn't have allowed it to go down so low if its just going to flicker.

Also, I found no way to unscrew the head from the light. I tried to unscrew the bezel by hand, but no go. Any tricks? heat maybe?

I was able to unscrew the head of mine very easy.

About the rest , you are right , not that bright and the low low mode really flickers :candle:

fishx65

Enlightened
Well, I finally got a chance to try mine out on the way to my cabin tonight. Shined some deer in a big farm field with the Skyline and a Dorcy 220. The Skyline can out throw the Dorcy by a good margin. I could light up a deer's whole body pretty good out to about 140 yds. The beam seems to stay really tight for a loooong ways. Can't believe how far a single 18650 torch can throw! Might order another Skyline unless you guys can point me to another single 18650 that can out throw it.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Masterpiece Pro-1 with 2 cells has more lux and bigger hotspot than Skyline, with 1 cell it has about same lux but bigger hotspot still.

Skyline:
skyline.jpg

MPP-1 1 Cell:
Mpp11cell.jpg

MPP-1 2 Cell:
MPP12cell.jpg

That being said, I do love my Skyline though. The beam pattern is just great and I look forward to putting a little more horsepower under the hood.

Latest posts