• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD OUT: Flute Ti - Nichia 219 twisty AA with 3D trit and glow

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flute Ti - Nichia 219 twisty AA with 3D trit and glow

Those look good PSM - nice job. :) What did you use for your background? It's nice and dark!

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast

:aaa:Please no Emu :xyxgun: here :D
Yikes! I never thought about it that way! :eek: ;)

Dave, your pics with the black background are fantastic.
Wish I'd have time for more and better "Emu shots" and try different setups, but other projects have priority at the moment.
Hmm, though... I'm pretty sure, I'll find some older pics to post in your new thread :devil:
Thanks for the nice words. :)

I look forward to whatever you have to post. Your pictures have definitely been an inspiration to me! :thumbsup:

aikiman44

Enlightened

With another work in titanium:

Last edited:

SK1044

Newly Enlightened

Flute arrived yesterday, absolutely beautiful machining and beam. Great work once again Tain.
Thanks

grayhighh

Enlightened

aikiman, Nice lights and also a sick knife you got right there ! Been waiting a year for mine, and still no message.

aikiman44

Enlightened

Thanks Cary. I think Gus takes about a year and a half.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Cool pics, PSM and aikiman44 (man, that knife is something else!)

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened

What make knife is that?

Also, got my light today. It is a sweet thing. Question: Do the trits need to absorb light like a watch face in order to glow? I went into a dark room and I can see them, but barely, nothing like in the pics here.

mark

With another work in titanium:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

What make knife is that?

Also, got my light today. It is a sweet thing. Question: Do the trits need to absorb light like a watch face in order to glow? I went into a dark room and I can see them, but barely, nothing like in the pics here.

mark

Trit vials are self-powered - they require no exposure to light to glow. In 12.3 years they will glow half as bright.

The reason they look so bright in these pictures is that people are leaving the camera shutter open for long periods, allowing more light to enter and enhancing the appearance. Unless you are in a pitch-black room they do not normally look as bright as you see here.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question: Do the trits need to absorb light like a watch face in order to glow? I went into a dark room and I can see them, but barely, nothing like in the pics here.

mark
It is definitely the case that trits are fairly dim and you will really only see them well with dark adapted eyes. Additionally, most of the pictures here are more eye-candy and art than they are a reflection of reality. Due to the way the pictures are taken, and the way the sensors in the camera work the trits in the pictures are almost always brighter and more colorful than they will appear in reality.

mbira

Newly Enlightened

My Flute has developed a problem with its high output level (I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the light's low setting):

With either freshly charged Eneloops (both 2000mAh and 2550mAh versions) or new Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, the light will often shift between the expected high level and a distinctly lower level (somewhere in output between the actual default low and default high levels) without rotating the head. This shift only happens while holding the light such that my fingers might very slightly wobble the head (ie, when holding the light normally). However, if I set the light down while it is turned on, this shift will never occur. The problem can be reproduced throughout the high output range of the light, not only when the head's rotation is located near its low-high transition point. Intentionally, but not forcibly wobbling the head reproduces the problem as well.

I have tried carefully cleaning the spring and the well contact with pure isopropyl alcohol as well as cleaning and re-lubing the threads with Krytox 203, but the problem remains.

Nothing appears obviously amiss with the visible end of the pill and the O-ring is not damaged.

Another, possibly related oddity: While rotating the head down onto any fresh Eneloop, the light does not first go into the default high mode before going into the low mode and ultimately off when screwed all the way down. Instead, it always first goes into that lower-than-high mode described above before entering low mode and turning off. True high output can never be achieved until after an Eneloop has been installed. Then, unscrewing the head always produces the expected sequence of low to default high with no trace of the phantom lower-than-high mode (until, of course, it might be initiated by once again handling the head or re-inserting an Eneloop).

This oddity never occurs when inserting Lithium primaries; instead, the expected sequence of default high-default low-off is always seen.

Such problems have never been encountered with my Piccolo Ti or Ti PO.

Any ideas?

Thanks (and compliments to the excellent photographers of Tain's lights in this thread!).

Scott

easilyled

Flashaholic

I would send a PM to Tain, mbira. I'm sure that he'll sort you out. :)

Tain

Enlightened

My Flute has developed a problem with its high output level (I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the light's low setting):

Email sent.

easilyled

Flashaholic

A new arrival came today, so I took a couple more pictures. :eek:

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the one in the centre (13 trits version) for personal reason :D

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel, that's the prototype Flute and I was just a step too slow to pull the trigger

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: