Some thoughts on the Anker IQ 14W foldable solar panel

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I have the Anker IQ 14W foldable solar panel, as a source for emergency-charging Li-Ion USB powerbanks. It has a built in 5V regulator and two USB outputs, so it's particularly convenient for that. I've been experimenting with the panel since January, so I thought I'd post some interesting points I came across in the process.

In early January, I tried using it indoors with a double-glazed window between it and the sun, just to see what would happen. Under perfect weather conditions, with the panel angled for maximum collection, the best I could get out of it was about 1W. I live at a fairly high northern latitude, so I wasn't particularly surprised by that :)

I tried it again in mid-March, and I got about 5W. It also occurred to me to try spreading a sheet of aluminium kitchen foil on the floor as a booster reflector, which got me up to 7W.

I did another test in mid-April, but I still only got about 5W. Although the sun in April was higher in the sky and more energy would have made it through the shorter atmospheric path, the higher sun angle also meant that the sunlight was arriving at a more grazing angle to the window glass, so more of the energy was being reflected away to the ground outside.

In other words, the limiting factor in the winter half of the year is the weaker sunlight, just as you'd expect, but there's also a hard limit to what one can ever get out of a panel indoors because of the interaction between the sun angle and the reflectivity of the window glass.

Unfortunately, I don't have any skylights to experiment with, but I imagine a skylight in a suitably angled roof would be a good place to park an indoor-mounted solar panel during the summer half of the year.

Of course, one can always put the panel outside, but that's not always practical. For example, the weather might be showery with sunny spells, or there might not be anywhere outside to put the panel, or there might be a risk of theft.

Indoor operation - perhaps with improvised reflectors using stiff wire, duct tape and kitchen foil - can be an acceptable substitute. Dual reflectors at optimal angles, one each side of the panel, should be able to get it up to about 3W at midwinter and full power for something like eight months of the year.

I did a final test in early June, and I only got about 5W indoors again, as I expected. To confirm the panel's actual capacity, I took it outside this time and got about 11.5W. On that basis, I imagine that the panel would meet its rating in ideal conditions, i.e. full tropical sunlight from clear skies at noon.

I'm happy with the Anker panel's overall performance, because it can still achieve usable output even in quite seriously suboptimal conditions. Even 1W for 4 hours will get you a quarter charge on a 3200mAh Li-Ion 18650 or a full charge on a pair of AAA Eneloops (after conversion losses and charger inefficiency).

In a Fenix UC35, that quarter-charged 18650 should manage 15lm all the way through the longest night of the winter. Alternatively, the two AAA Eneloops will buy me 25lm for 5 or 6 hours in an LD02, or 8lm all night.

Notes:

[1] All wattages given above are the peak outputs I saw, calculated as snapshots using KCX-017 USB meters (HKJ review) with USB power banks as loads (unfortunately, I don't have automated logging equipment). The power banks were Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh and RavPower RP-PB16 7800mAh models.

Usually, one meter and power bank was enough to fully load the panel, but the Anker power bank only draws 10W maximum, so the June outdoor test required a second meter and the RavPower power bank (capable of drawing 3.5W maximum) to get the most out of the panel. The panel's two USB outputs proved convenient for that part!

[2] I noticed that extracting the most power from the panel required a careful selection of load, especially in suboptimal conditions. I had to use the RavPower power bank for the January test, because the Anker one tried to draw so much current that the resulting voltage sag rendered the panel unusable. Think of it as manual Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) :)

This implies that there are times when you're better off using a little 0.5A charger for your Li-Ion cells, because a 1A charger would drag the panel voltage down too much. It's definitely a good idea to experiment with your particular setup in the actual conditions you need it to work in.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I have X-DRAGON High Efficency 20W .not sure if I like it yet its cool for sure but when its outdoor im afraid some one will steal it

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I understand how you feel. My garden's relatively secure, but I'm still nervous about leaving my panel outside, because I worry that a sudden rain shower or gust of wind might damage it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info. I've looked into these in the past and the various sizes/brands are very affordable. I never had a need for one, but I'm trying to figure out the best uses.

- Camping, long backpacking trips (external battery pack is better < 1 week trips)
- At home emergencies/power outtages
- Bugout bag

For me, none of those would be relevant. But I do see the value in having one. Any other applications?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I've looked into these in the past and the various sizes/brands are very affordable. I never had a need for one, but I'm trying to figure out the best uses.

- Camping, long backpacking trips (external battery pack is better < 1 week trips)
- At home emergencies/power outtages
- Bugout bag

For me, none of those would be relevant. But I do see the value in having one. Any other applications?

Where do you live Mark, where you're not susceptible to a local emergency, where the power might go out?

I'm not a backpacker, or even a camper, but I'm in Miami and we're starting the hurricane season, so if and when my power goes out, I want to be able to at least keep some minor things running, like my lanterns, flashlights, cell phone, and 12v fan, so some sort of solar panel is welcome, even a 14w USB jobbie.

I now have the 2x30w rigid panel rig for my 12Ah/22Ah mother batteries and I have my dinky little 14w SunKingdom for the new Ruinovo power bank and USB chargers.

I spent $101 on the panel, power bank and 2 USB chargers w/volt-current meter, so not a lot of money, but that kit is a lot easier to lug around than my rigid setup.

Chris

1DaveN

Enlightened
Where do you live Mark, where you're not susceptible to a local emergency, where the power might go out?

I'm not a backpacker, or even a camper, but I'm in Miami and we're starting the hurricane season, so if and when my power goes out, I want to be able to at least keep some minor things running, like my lanterns, flashlights, cell phone, and 12v fan, so some sort of solar panel is welcome, even a 14w USB jobbie.

I now have the 2x30w rigid panel rig for my 12Ah/22Ah mother batteries and I have my dinky little 14w SunKingdom for the new Ruinovo power bank and USB chargers.

I spent $101 on the panel, power bank and 2 USB chargers w/volt-current meter, so not a lot of money, but that kit is a lot easier to lug around than my rigid setup.

Chris

I was going to say that it's not that you'll never have an emergency, but rather that you'll never have one that exhausts a large supply of rechargeable and primary batteries. Then I got to the part about the cell phone, and realized your perfectly valid point that in a long power outage, one might need power for more than just light.

I've been really impressed with my three Anker chargers, and some cables and other accessories I've gotten from them. Based on this post and my experience with their other products, I'm going to keep an eye out for a deal on one of these panels.

OP, do you mind me asking what charger you used to charge Eneloops with the solar panel? That seems like a good way to have enough light even for something of exceptional duration (zombie apocalypse).

markr6

Flashaholic
I was going to say that it's not that you'll never have an emergency, but rather that you'll never have one that exhausts a large supply of rechargeable and primary batteries.

That's where I was coming from.

I'm in northern IN. Actually the power went out 2 days ago for about 75 minutes...a LONG time for us. The only other time I remember going out for more than 2 minutes was a few summers ago. Other than that, I don't remember any big ones during my lifetime.

External battery packs and my car would let me charge stuff, conveniently and without hassle, for days or weeks.

I guess a natural disaster, really only a tornado here, would be a concern. But even then, I would probably get to a hotel and regroup...figure out what to do then.

No argument against them, I'm just trying to justify another toy :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
i charge my battery back up with mine

I don't want to belabor the point and my power only went out for 18 hours and 15 hours, respectively, during hurricanes Andrew and Wilma, but GF, uncle/aunt and boss lost theirs for 2 weeks, 8 days and 3 weeks!

My town is 'owned' by former US Senator and presidential candidate Bob Graham, so we have some juice here!

I guess as I get older, I look for economic 'insurance' policies and having a way to generate power, even minor power, is something that's worth the minor expenses to me.

I'm in a larger condo complex and the biggest problem for me will be the neighbors coming by and trying to bum stuff off of me when they see me with the lights on, the music blasting and the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville margarita machine running full blast!

I'll have to load up some extra ammo for that day.

Chris

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I live in a very safe area when it comes to emergencies of any kind, and we have a major high voltage grid interchange station just a few miles away. All told, this area would probably be one of the last in the country to lose power - I can't recall a power outage lasting more than 12 hours, and that one was a long time ago - but I still like to have options for the worst case. I have extra food, bottled water, candles, a Kelly kettle and a wood-fired camping stove, too :)

As far as the food & water go, it's all stuff I'd be buying and using anyway - I just keep more of it on hand in the house, instead of relying completely on the supermarket supply chain. I've never needed to fall back on my reserves, but we did come close a few years ago during a spell of unusually snowy weather. The supermarket shelves were about half-empty by the time food deliveries started to make it through again, and I don't mind telling you, that sort of thing makes me nervous. Some other parts of the country were completely cut off with no power and no food deliveries for a week.

OP, do you mind me asking what charger you used to charge Eneloops with the solar panel? That seems like a good way to have enough light even for something of exceptional duration (zombie apocalypse).

I actually charge a Li-Ion powerbank from the solar panel, then run a USB NiMH charger from the powerbank. That way, the powerbank acts as a buffer battery for the NiMH charger. It's significantly less efficient than charging directly, but NiMH chargers with dV/dt termination really don't cope well with intermittent power supplies, especially when the cells are approaching full charge. Simple one-mode Li-Ion chargers handle that much better; those can generally be run directly from the solar panel.

My NiMH charger for this is a USB-powered Sanyo NC-MDU01, which is unfortunately no longer available, but I've seen reports from people here that chargers from companies like Goal Zero get the job done too. The only snag is that they tend to charge a premium (unintentional pun deliberately left in :)) for the fact that they're targeting the "cool people" in the camping and hiking market.

HKJ has a Goal Zero charger review in the works (see here); I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Three words: Coronal Mass Ejection

One of those suckers aimed our way might be more than a portable panel can handle, or may never happen in our lifetime. It is not my intention to get into that discussion on this fine thread... But you said you were looking for a justification.

Also, if you get your primary power from a coal fueled power plant, you could say you are trying to lessen the environmental costs associated with that (Yeah, that is a bit of a reach)

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
...also known as a "Coronal Mass Ejection" or CME.

I'll take Kitrobaskin's lead and avoid getting into the details, but modern power grids have very little protection from CMEs at the moment. There have been major incidents in both Canada and Scandinavia that I know of, which have caused long power outages - at least one of them was right in the depths of winter - so CMEs are something to think about, especially for people living at high latitudes.

It is possible to build extra protection into a power grid to mitigate the effects of a CME, but no-one realised it was necessary when the grids were originally built, and progress at retrofitting the necessary equipment is slow, mainly because relatively few people are taking the problem as seriously as they should be.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's where I was coming from.

I'm in northern IN. Actually the power went out 2 days ago for about 75 minutes...a LONG time for us. The only other time I remember going out for more than 2 minutes was a few summers ago. Other than that, I don't remember any big ones during my lifetime.

External battery packs and my car would let me charge stuff, conveniently and without hassle, for days or weeks.

I guess a natural disaster, really only a tornado here, would be a concern. But even then, I would probably get to a hotel and regroup...figure out what to do then.

I take it you didn't get bit by the big multi-state outage in 2005 then? IIRC, we in the Detroit area were out for about two days.

markr6

Flashaholic
Three words: Coronal Mass Ejection

One of those suckers aimed our way might be more than a portable panel can handle, or may never happen in our lifetime. It is not my intention to get into that discussion on this fine thread... But you said you were looking for a justification.

Also, if you get your primary power from a coal fueled power plant, you could say you are trying to lessen the environmental costs associated with that (Yeah, that is a bit of a reach)

Ahhh yeah! I remember reading an article about that about a year ago. It said the US would have a hard time bringing the grid back up...something crazy like 18months+

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Ahhh yeah! I remember reading an article about that about a year ago. It said the US would have a hard time bringing the grid back up...something crazy like 18months+

That's the one. The manufacturing lead time for a really big high-voltage transformer is at least a year, if not longer still. If you lose a lot of them in a CME-style disaster, it takes forever to get new ones in, install them and fix up all the other stuff around them.

markr6

Flashaholic
OK you guys got me! For $40 or so on Amazon it's worth adding to my wishlist and thinking about. I do that a lot; basically just a grocery list of stuff in my cart to "save for later". Losing a lot of cash to Amazon :)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 of these this week but have not had a chance to try them out yet.
I also have an Instapark Mercury 27 12v folding panel out for delivery Today or so they claim.

These are the first small folders I have tried but I have several rigid setups that I have used for a long time RVing and for Ham Radio and relief work.

They sure seem well constructed to me which is gratifying and I am hopeful they will perform as well as they look.

markr6

Flashaholic
I got 2 of these this week but have not had a chance to try them out yet.
I also have an Instapark Mercury 27 12v folding panel out for delivery Today or so they claim.

These are the first small folders I have tried but I have several rigid setups that I have used for a long time RVing and for Ham Radio and relief work.

They sure seem well constructed to me which is gratifying and I am hopeful they will perform as well as they look.

In the few reviews I looked at, the Instapark models performed better. Both looked like good options though.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the few reviews I looked at, the Instapark models performed better. Both looked like good options though.
I got the Ankers to charge battery packs and the Instapark for bigger 12v batteries.
I use SLA batteries for most backup and have several contraptions I create with between 12 and 300ah of capacity,some obviously more portable than others!

So my idea is to be able to keep some things going on the move if needed with these more portable panels.
We shall see.

Phireglass

Newly Enlightened
I have X-DRAGON High Efficency 20W .not sure if I like it yet its cool for sure but when its outdoor im afraid some one will steal it

I just got my x dragon 2 days ago, same 20W, this thing rocks! Im in So Cal and im gonna use ot mainly for backpacking, beach, and park days, i charge my first gen Anker 13000mah battery then use that to then charge my 18650s via a klarus usb charger, or my canon lp-e8 batteries for my T4i, or my bluetooth speaker, either way this thing as thus far kept me topped up, cant wait to go backpacking as use it for an extended trip!