Soon Incan lights will be GONE and everything will be LED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will miss the electric bills (they were like post cards to me); I will miss the seasonal affected disorder in the winter from not enough affordable light; I will miss changing at least one burned out bulb each month (Changing even one, without incident, made me feel so smart!);.... Most of all, I will miss the blisters on my fingers.

Empire

Banned
I will miss the electric bills (they were like post cards to me); I will miss the seasonal affected disorder in the winter from not enough affordable light; I will miss changing at least one burned out bulb each month (Changing even one, without incident, made me feel so smart! :( .... Most of all, I will miss the blisters on my fingers.
AutoReply:
Great post Degarb
What type of emitter/bulb etc would you like to see in the future?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of bulb/emitter would you like to see in the future?

A 120+ Lumen per watt edison style lamp, and an increased focus on standardized "module" led inserts for most household fixtures. Also, no detectable strobe/flicker with the bulbs. In fact after the experience with the ecosmart a19 60w bulb I'm probably going to wait until that exists before I buy any more led bulbs.

Also, standardized modules that would allow easy changing of color temperatures for any fixture style or replacement in case of an electronics failure, but with better heatsinking than current fixtures designed around incans are capable of. (think surface mount hallway/kitchen/vanity lights.) edit: Or maybe since the LED's are almost never the actual failure point, standardized drivers that are able to be serviced and replaced instead.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
A 120+ Lumen per watt edison style lamp, and an increased focus on standardized "module" led inserts for most household fixtures. Also, no detectable strobe/flicker with the bulbs. In fact after the experience with the ecosmart a19 60w bulb I'm probably going to wait until that exists before I buy any more led bulbs.
The Philips AmbientLED 12W bulb has no flicker at all. My entire apartment is lit with them, and I've been happy with them since Day 1.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried the philips one yet, if it doesn't have the same problem I might try to exchange this ecosmart for one.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I do not think LED's are ready to replace incandescents. I have bought several different types of LED's, and while they are better than CFL's, I still find their light a little "harsh", and it is more difficult to concentrate under. It is okay for bathroom and hall lighting, but for some reason I just feel annoyed when I try to do reading under these lights, and it does not make me feel relaxed. I am not sure exactly what it is, but should also mention I tend to be more sensitive than most about these types of things.

I think it is wrong to ban incandescents, and have stockpiled a large number of the old bulbs. Right now there simply is not any substitute for incandescent. But, somewhat ironically, I am looking forward to fluorescents being banned in schools, restaurants, and workplaces, and being replaced with LED's. LED's might not be the best, but they have better light quality than fluorescents. I just could never work under fluorescent lights. Not only is their light quality unpleasant, but I also have a slight skin sensitivity to them.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I just feel annoyed when I try to do reading under these lights, and it does not make me feel relaxed.

I'm interested in learning more about your experience. Is it the same with a high quality flashlight LED (nichia) under the same conditions (single stationary light source)?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think LED's are ready to replace incandescents. I have bought several different types of LED's, and while they are better than CFL's, I still find their light a little "harsh", and it is more difficult to concentrate under. It is okay for bathroom and hall lighting, but for some reason I just feel annoyed when I try to do reading under these lights, and it does not make me feel relaxed. I am not sure exactly what it is, but should also mention I tend to be more sensitive than most about these types of things.I think it is wrong to ban incandescents, and have stockpiled a large number of the old bulbs. Right now there simply is not any substitute for incandescent. But, somewhat ironically, I am looking forward to fluorescents being banned in schools, restaurants, and workplaces, and being replaced with LED's. LED's might not be the best, but they have better light quality than fluorescents. I just could never work under fluorescent lights. Not only is their light quality unpleasant, but I also have a slight skin sensitivity to them.
Dont worry, leds can offer the same tiresome, sickly yellow light incans can.And there s no mystery as to why you hate white light: yellow amber allows to get sleepy and relax, while daylight and white light relleases brain endorphines and hypes one up to take on the day. Thus we can conclude that you are either a hyper person, on too much caffiene, or lazy and under ambitious indoors. Dont take this as an insult; some of the people I love most are lazy. My wife and kids, for example. This is why I am installing lep lighting house wide. But until the price comes down, i will need to be happy with the dozen or two hid fixtures we have. I am double thinking the decision to install that 1000 watt hid in the nursery.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am double thinking the decision to install that 1000 watt hid in the nursery.
Yes, I have learned to consider lighting strategies carefully after the Fiasco of 2008, when I tried to save on electric bill by hotgluing headlamps onto the fore head of all house-hold members in their sleep. I just lacked the courage to make them pay their portion of the bill; so, I thought, hotglue would be easier.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do want to add that the op remark about scrapping styrofoam off wasnt non sense. It was based on a story where some regulatory agency was going to vote on banning styrofoam because it is made of dihydrolyzed monoxide. See this very toxic substance kills thousands of kids each year, and is 100 percent fatal if inhaled in the lungs. Ingesting a significant amount kills too. Infact untreated dihyrolyzed monoxide kills millions each year. What irresponsible people would use such a dangerous substance. .. styrofoam looked doomed. Yes, until the bill submitter couldnt contain their hysteria and confessed dihyrolyzed monoxide is water.... Me, this is not a joke, but reminder that there is a law of unintended consequences that applies to all regs. Regs made the mortgage mess, raise demand for health insurance a reg it, and you will get runaway prices, stop carbon and continue the 55 million year march to another earth iceball part 2 in 5 million years that started with invention of the Hymalai and other mountians which are locking up carbon faster than volcanos can pump it out. ... Ban incans and prices of the efficient bulbs go up, while the price of the energy should go down, but likely will rise as a haven for capital and rising population. Banning compact flourescents is stupid, as half my fliurescent lights have a plastic bulb surrounding curly tubing, making the mercury argument mute. Incans do release far more mercury than cfls, as making energy rereleases the heavy metal back into nature, from which it came...this thread is cafe, i think.

Last edited:

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
:lol:

You need some sleep dude ;)

Could have been a good thread this, it's gone every which way. I'm thinking that bulb manufacturers and flashaholics are separated by a gulf. The technology to produce good, ambient and healthy light is already there, it's just not being invested into.

moozooh

Enlightened
Can't wait. Let incans be the expensive enthusiast technology and LEDs the rapidly cheapening mass-produced mainstream. Unreliable century-old technologies have to go—the sooner, the better.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Can't wait. Let incans be the expensive enthusiast technology and LEDs the rapidly cheapening mass-produced mainstream. Unreliable century-old technologies have to go—the sooner, the better.
Pretty much my thoughts also, not only with regard to incans but also alkaline batteries, internal combustion engines, etc. These technologies were revolutionary in their day, and have earned their rightful place in history, but now it's time for them to get out of the mainstream to make way for newer, better technologies (which in turn will eventually need to go as well). Obsolescence is the price we pay for progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.