Soon Incan lights will be GONE and everything will be LED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long until the human race is obsolescent? what then? new is NOT always necessarily better...
I think in this case, the efficiency is way better, the color is matched and improved on, and brighter; better...

.Daylight is 700 to 7000 lux on shadey side of house, opening windows, yes, can shine about 50k lux in direct ligh area, but only 200 lux one foot into shadow and near 45 lux six foot away, with bulbs and windows open we still barely get more than the 45 lux of three 60 watt bulbs, . A 500 halogen watt work light 6 foot away from wall pumps an average of 250 lux on a 7x7 work are-- this, without uv protective glass. My point is: we still got a long way to get the indoors of houses to a liveable lux, not reminiscent of caveman days....

As far as people that claim metal halide car lights, cfl, and led cause headaches: for their claim to hold up, they need to add that television does the same. After all, watching tv, is the exact samething as staring into a 2000 lumen led, cfl, crt with outdoor blue spectrum in every outdoor scene. (Noooo, tv is too addictive.) Then, wth, I realize: Why are they staring at a computer monitor or phone screen, reading and posting into a forum?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
How long until the human race is obsolescent? what then? new is NOT always necessarily better...
I wholeheartedly agree new is not always better. Widescreen monitors are one example as far as I'm concerned. With lighting however, LEDs do everything way better than the technologies which preceded them. The spectrum is continuous, albeit with humps and valleys in some cases, but still worlds better than spiky fluorescent spectra. Efficiency emitting white light is higher than anything else. And you have your choice of CCT. Even price, which really was the only major hurdle, has been dropping by leaps and bounds lately.

The human race as it exists now probably is heading towards being obsolete already if you look at the bigger picture. As far as the planet is concerned, we have many of the characteristics of a virus-we make the host sick, then we ultimately kill it. Unlike a virus, we have the ability to know we're doing this and to reverse course, so we're not obsolete yet. The next few decades shall be interesting, to say the least.

SemiMan

Banned
I do not think LED's are ready to replace incandescents. I have bought several different types of LED's, and while they are better than CFL's, I still find their light a little "harsh", and it is more difficult to concentrate under. It is okay for bathroom and hall lighting, but for some reason I just feel annoyed when I try to do reading under these lights, and it does not make me feel relaxed. I am not sure exactly what it is, but should also mention I tend to be more sensitive than most about these types of things.

I think it is wrong to ban incandescents, and have stockpiled a large number of the old bulbs. Right now there simply is not any substitute for incandescent. But, somewhat ironically, I am looking forward to fluorescents being banned in schools, restaurants, and workplaces, and being replaced with LED's. LED's might not be the best, but they have better light quality than fluorescents. I just could never work under fluorescent lights. Not only is their light quality unpleasant, but I also have a slight skin sensitivity to them.

Anders I am confused. How come you did not have this mysterious sensitivity when you were commenting on this topic on other forums on other web-sites? It was only after you joined CPF that you mysteriously developed this sensitivity? I am curious, did you just make it up when you came to CPF or are you a hypochondriac?

Semiman

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
The human race as it exists now probably is heading towards being obsolete already if you look at the bigger picture. As far as the planet is concerned, we have many of the characteristics of a virus-we make the host sick, then we ultimately kill it. Unlike a virus, we have the ability to know we're doing this and to reverse course, so we're not obsolete yet. The next few decades shall be interesting, to say the least.
Well then shouldn't you be advocating for some form of cumpulsory sterilization program and planned eugenics?!
Incandescent light bulbs are a very very small part of the overall picture, and their impact has been drastically over emphasized, probably just because everyone sees these conspicuous users of energy in their own homes. I think some of these ignorant environmental planners need to be taken on a tour of a Chinese aluminum smelting plant, or go to an industrial warehouse or business parking lot at night.

I wish they would have started to replace fluorescent with LED first, before going after incandescents. We all know far more energy is being wasted by fluorescent lighting than incandescent lighting. It's just not in our own homes.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
There are such LED's with High CRI(Color rendering) "WARMTH" but I haven't seen many that exceed over 300 Lumens.
They are also very pinkish. The addition of extra red frequencies might help the CRI, but it throws off the overall color of the light.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then shouldn't you be advocating for some form of cumpulsory sterilization program and planned eugenics?!
Incandescent light bulbs are a very very small part of the overall picture, and their impact has been drastically over emphasized, probably just because everyone sees these conspicuous users of energy in their own homes. I think some of these ignorant environmental planners need to be taken on a tour of a Chinese aluminum smelting plant, or go to an industrial warehouse or business parking lot at night.

I wish they would have started to replace fluorescent with LED first, before going after incandescents. We all know far more energy is being wasted by fluorescent lighting than incandescent lighting. It's just not in our own homes.

Interesting point.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Soon Incan lights will be GONE and everything will be LED!
I am not believing all the hype. I suspect most people will just buy the cheaper CFLs. Except the people that dislike/hate CFLs. I am not sure exactly how many of these people there are.

Just remember that Candle Power Forums is probably not an accurate representation of average consumer preferences. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not believing all the hype. I suspect most people will just buy the cheaper CFLs. Except the people that dislike/hate CFLs. I am not sure exactly how many of these people there are.

You don't believe hype about LED taking over CFL? Why not? I am sure you have read up, it is just a matter of time before efficiency stomps CFL and cost drop. Who wouldn't pay $3 to buy a 50,000 hour 2 watt led that would replace a 40 watt 1100 hour incan, or a 10,000 hour, 13 watt, $4 cfl?

Most people don't know, or care, about the knowledge of color temperture, lumens, hours of operation, or even wattage cost.

What they do know is that they are being forced to pay upfront 3 to 5 times the $.50 to $1 for the incan. So, many gripe with mastered expertise. They know flourescent lighting of 30 years ago was green. They associate LED technology with bluish 40 lpw, nichia 20 milliamp output. So, if that is their bias and knowledge base, a survey of how they like the new technology, is hardly meaningful. *

People here, in this forum, are regular people that do care about the specs, and so, have some opinion--enough to contribute. Leave the double blind tests for the masses.

I bet the $10 and 100 lumen per watt mark is led threshold where most cpf members here will start replacing all their cfl's. The average joe, is will buy their first at the $2 mark, and continue buying if the color and brightness meet their needs.

---------

* [What the customer wants (what is really good for them) and think they want are hardly the same. Marketing, and planted ideas have more weight than reality. This is the reason car commercials are little more than a car driving down the road with cool music playing.]

Last edited:

Freax

Banned
EMP mostly affects electrical grids with long, straight, un-shielded runs of wire, and the devices plugged directly into those grids. Flashlights are very unlikely to be affected. Some flashlights have even been tested by being put into microwaves, and they still work.

Don't be so sure of that, an EMP is a pulse of a minimum of 50,000 amps within a few milliseconds, it is also electromagnetic RF energy, not DC, not AC, so it couples to everything in sight, it is also an extremely long wavelength, which may save your LED torches bacon, but everything that is connected to the grid will be experiencing melting lines at the very least, YES MELTING LINES, it MELTS the high current WIRES.

A microwave oven IS a good test to weed out the weak ones but last time I checked a microwave oven wasn't generating 50,000 amps.

If nukes do fall I for one will not be relying upon a majority of LED torches, I instead will be relying upon a large stockpile of long life incandescent globes of assorted sizes.

The bigger problem is finding a large enough source of energy, with every single Solar panel out of comission within a few hundred miles the ONLY thing that I think will be running is farms with their own Hydroelectric power generation from a nearby river, or hand crank generators and Bicycle power generation of DIY designs.

There won't be any petrol purely because of there being an inability to ship it to your area, so no cars, and no motorcycles, just bicycles and whatever gadgets you can fit onto one.

Feel free to shield old LED torches that you don't use anymore inside of a steel ammo can box tho, but insulate it electrically from the box's metal.

Last edited:

Freax

Banned
I wholeheartedly agree new is not always better. Widescreen monitors are one example as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed wholeheartedly, 4:3 should've never been discarded so recklessly, but I see people these days are acting reckless so it is a sign of the times.

I'm Athiest and even I'm kissing my *** goodbye!

With lighting however, LEDs do everything way better than the technologies which preceded them.

I would take a carbon arc lamp anyday over any LED light, LED for me due to a degenerative eye disorder is actually painful to look at, it gives me a headache and it feels like its cutting a hole through my eye, ontop of that objects are difficult enough to find but LED makes it a ton harder.

This is just another sign of the times, the earth has far too many people on it and we are scavenging for every last gigawatt that we can get from an overstrained electrical system, we know that we have far too many people on the planet but we aren't doing anything about it so therefore the solution is to reduce our energy consumption.

I think our society is doomed, we've overshot and we're burning up all of our natural resources for NOTHING but CONSUMPTION, the consumption of worthless products to make our lives feel even emptyer, the axing of our space program is just another example of all of this.

But at least we will still have the private entities, for as long as private companies are abound.

If we had 2-4 billion people on the planet we certianly wouldn't have this problem and our society will last a considerably longer period of time than I think it will last.

When it became cheaper to order a Pizza from some outlet chain and have it delivered to your door than it did to make it yourself at home, When Pepsi and Coke started adding Artificial sweeteners and went away from Corn Sugar, thats when the world turned to poop, thats when we all should've woken up and said, "hey, my paycheque just got a whole lot smaller, the coke tastes like poop, the light above me is giving me a headache and there is nothing on tv anymore, what the hell is going on?" But we didn't.

Yes, but no, Greed is the virus we are afflcted with. Ironically didn't the bible tell us not to give into greed? That is what is making us doomed.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Closing this thread as it has gone way beyond the topic as stated by the thread title and first post, and has become OT.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts