SPA Defense SPL-120 (Novatac)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
So those are both other models in the last pic in this thread?
Both the original NovaTac 120P and the SPA Defense SPL-120 have the same basic parts design. Battery is changed by removing the tail cap, as BullzeyeBill mentioned. Just be mindful of the screw threads. I always rotate CCW for a bit until I find the "lead in" and start rotating CW. Also, because of the tension from the spring, it's a good idea to press down a little as you turn to help alleviate stress on the threads. If you have some o-ring lubricant, apply a little the threads to help keep them smooth.

The NovaTac is the first "high volume" sold programmable flashlight. It was a major milestone in LED flashlights.

EDITED for corrections, thanks to Hogokansatsukan.

Henry Schneiker, the original creator of HDS Systems had conceived of it and was approached to take it to a more mainstream market (predominantly tactical). It was branded NovaTac at that time. Unfortunately it wasn't managed well and fell apart. Henry broke away from the initiative and then NovaTac fell apart not long after. In picking up the pieces, some enterprising people licensed the design to a company in China that churned out the "NovaTac Storm" and a number of other form factors to include different battery types. It was a cheaper version of essentially the same light (internally).

The NovaTac was released in 85 and 120 lumens options, and came in several models, "E" (executive), "P" (programmable), and "T" (tactical). The Spa Defense SPL-120 is essentially the tactical NovaTac 120T with just a few brightness levels. But like it was already mentioned, the "Easter Egg" is that these lights all have the programming inside, released by doing 250 consecutive clicks. It's a pain in the butt, but you do it one time and that's it. The programming UI is not intuitive and you need to read through the topics to find a link to the manual. Most people don't really bother much with it. You can "reprogram" brightness levels rather easily, without having to go into the full programming menu.

If you do decide to get into the programming menu, it is a bit of a rabbit hole. You'll be amazed at all the things you can set with this flashlight. And if you're intrigued, but a little put off by the complexity, there are newer flashlights out today with even better programmable user interfaces. NarsilM and Anduril are some of the most popular right now (I prefer Anduril).

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NovaTac is the first "high volume" sold programmable flashlight. It was a major milestone in LED flashlights. Henry Schneider, the original creator, broke off from NovaTac and formed his own company called HDS Systems that's still making lights today based on this technology..

Actually, Henry Schneiker has owned and run HDS Systems since the 90's, designing, manufacturing, and selling flashlights long before NovaTac. Henry designed the NT light based upon his previous work when he was approached by someone promising venture capital and streamlined manufacturing, however this quickly fell apart before the first NovaTac shipped. Henry went on to continue to design and build lights. NT did not last long after this.

The NovaTac was a redesigned HDS Systems EDC Ultimate with a couple minor changes to the user interface which is why the back door 250 click was still in the NovaTac as it had been in the HDS Systems EDC Basic. The NovaTac electronics were an inferior constant current system, not constant power.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Henry Schneiker has owned and run HDS Systems since the 90's, designing, manufacturing, and selling flashlights long before NovaTac. Henry designed the NT light based upon his previous work when he was approached by someone promising venture capital and streamlined manufacturing, however this quickly fell apart before the first NovaTac shipped. Henry went on to continue to design and build lights. NT did not last long after this.

The NovaTac was a redesigned HDS Systems EDC Ultimate with a couple minor changes to the user interface which is why the back door 250 click was still in the NovaTac as it had been in the HDS Systems EDC Basic. The NovaTac electronics were an inferior constant current system, not constant power.
Thanks for the correction. I checked back to verify and you're mostly correct. HDS Systems has been in business since the 1980's but incorporated its name in 1997. A few years after that, Henry had set aside his business for the NovaTac venture. But when that didn't go the way he wanted, he bailed out and restarted HDS Systems. At least according to the "Brief History of the HDS Universe."

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the correction. I checked back to verify and you're mostly correct. HDS Systems has been in business since the 1980's but incorporated its name in 1997. A few years after that, Henry had set aside his business for the NovaTac venture. But when that didn't go the way he wanted, he bailed out and restarted HDS Systems. At least according to the "Brief History of the HDS Universe."

I'm getting my info directly from Henry (who is sitting next to me right now) and as the previous Production Supervisor of NT in Tucson.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
"Your information is mostly correct "

😂😂😂😂. I'm peeing now. I'm actually peeing!!!

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting my info directly from Henry (who is sitting next to me right now) and as the previous Production Supervisor of NT in Tucson.
I thought everyone knew who you were Hogo. Haha enjoying this thread regardless
"Your information is mostly correct "
I'm peeing now. I'm actually peeing!!!

:ohgeez::shrug:
Wow ok. Guess that write-up has some erroneous info. No emoticon for foot in mouth. I'll go now...

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez::shrug:
Wow ok. Guess that write-up has some erroneous info. No emoticon for foot in mouth. I'll go now...

LOL! Don't worry! It's not a big deal. There are a lot of folks on the forum and it's not possible to know everyone.
NT was actually some dark days for Henry and myself, but it is how we met and formed our friendship. Henry and I work together at HDS every Monday (sometimes other days of the week as well). He told me to put up or shut up about production delays (and other things) that I often bitched about regarding HDS, and so we partnered up about a year and half ago. He now gets to ***** at me about production delays and lack of parts... Rotary 18680 tube cough cough! I also run the HDS FB page, moderate (and I use that term very loosely) the HDS Section here in CPF. Feel free to join us in that section! We are an odd lot, and I can get cantankerous, but I mean well.

Edit just to add photo:
Here are some lights I took a photo of today from Henry's shelf (except the Rotary is mine).
img-4137.jpg

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I didn't realize you where ever at NT, Hogo. Guess I haven't been around here that long. Interesting...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not wanting to get off track but Something I'm not clear on. HOGO was Henry "forced " to make the twisty light after he left NT? I'm thinking thats what I heard. Something about he needed to make a light unlike his old design first. Could be way off here.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
He wasn't forced to but lawsuits were flying around like food in Animal House. It is also why for a year or so, HDS Systems went under the name Ra Lights.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
No no. Just good old boys having fun. Don't take it personal.
Oh... alright. :ironic: :p :grin2: The dampening field of the Internet can often make it hard to tell, depending upon how well you know folks.
LOL! Don't worry! It's not a big deal. There are a lot of folks on the forum and it's not possible to know everyone.
NT was actually some dark days for Henry and myself, but it is how we met and formed our friendship. Henry and I work together at HDS every Monday (sometimes other days of the week as well). He told me to put up or shut up about production delays (and other things) that I often bitched about regarding HDS, and so we partnered up about a year and half ago. He now gets to ***** at me about production delays and lack of parts... Rotary 18680 tube cough cough! I also run the HDS FB page, moderate (and I use that term very loosely) the HDS Section here in CPF. Feel free to join us in that section! We are an odd lot, and I can get cantankerous, but I mean well.

Edit just to add photo:
Here are some lights I took a photo of today from Henry's shelf (except the Rotary is mine). PHOTO
Quite alright -- I just felt like an idiot... 3rd party write-ups are seldom completely correct and can at times mislead. Very interesting to know about your history with Henry! A long while back I once had an Ultimate 60 but let it go... and in hindsight, wish I'd kept it and just had the emitter upgraded. It's great to see Henry's creation are still in strong demand. Really solid lights compared to what's out there (I'd take an HDS Rotary with me in the field over a Jetbeam RRT-01 any day).

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
And a little necroinformation about Novatac "SPA Defence" SPL-120 - I have a version with 3 modes - strobe, 120 lm, 10 lm. But today I found that there are 4 modes. If the modes are indicated as A (strobe) B (120 lm) C (10 lm) and D, then C and D are the same and = 10 lm. Found it this way - if I make 1 click from off, I will turn on the flashlight in mode B, if I make 2 clicks, then I'll go into C mode. If I make 3 clicks from mode B, I will go to D, and if I make 2 clicks, then return with B. If I make 3 clicks from C, then the brightness will not change. If I make 2 clicks from D mode, then the brightness will not change - I returned to C. That is, mode D exists and does not differ from mode C.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Good piece of information, it actually makes sense that they did it that way, when we know their limited budget for these models.

Lithium466

Enlightened
That's exactly the light I have on my desk right now ;) SPL-120 "250 clicked", with a Luxeon high CRI emitter. The UI is still very nice after all these years!

Latest posts