Speed Traps

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've seen accidents caused when a person speeds up to get through a stale yellow light, or when the driver makes an "honest mistake" and just misses the fact that it's red. A 40 MPH side collision is ugly.
The latter happened to my mom in 2000. A driver on a cell phone made the "honest mistake" of running a red light while simultaneously making the "honest mistake" of running about 50 or 60 mph in a 30 mph zone. Needless to say the results to my mom's car weren't very pretty, and neither were her extended stays in rehab. Only plus is she got enough out of the settlement to pay for her new 300C with a good chunk left over.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Here in the Netherlands the Speedtrap density is even higher than in the UK. If I drive from my home to the highway I need to get on to go to work, I drive past 5 speedtraps... from my place to the highway is about 2.5 miles.

It is really starting to get ridiculous here. Estimates are that there are over 2000 speedtraps in this country, please note that this country is only 16000 square miles big, and that over 18% of that is water. Sometimes it seems the police here really have nothing better to do than hunt speeding people, because throughout the country there are additional checks on a daily basis. In these checks the sneakiest and lowest techniques are used. Including police officers hiding in the bushes with the laserguns. Yes, they have sunk that low...

Here's some of the methods used throughout this country to extort the last penny out of the speeding drivers:

Fixed systems:

Cameras set off by induction loops in the road. Mostly used at crossroads and backroads, at crossroads they often function as both red light cameras and speed traps.

Cameras set off by radar measurement. These usually get installed when they place cameras on an existing road, as there is no need to cut open the road. These cameras often work in both traffic directions.

Systems that take measurements over a longer stretch of road. There is a camera at the beginning and one at the end, if the time between passing the first and the second camera is too short, you get a fine. These systems have been installed on several locations around the 4 biggest cities in the Netherlands and a lot of the busier highways.

Mobile systems:

Parked cars (unmarked) equipped with radar and camera equipment. These aren't really a big deal, as you usually can identify them from a long distance, as there always is someone in them, and they're parked in weird places as they need a clear view of the road.

Radar and camera equipment hidden in all kinds of things. There were even reports of the police using a modified trashcan that was put out around the trashcollection days. Other popular items include trailers (even rented ones so they don't attract much attention). These kind of speedtraps always have an officer close by to keep an eye on things, which is usually a dead giveaway.

Radar equipment along the highways. Usually hidden behind traffic signs or overpasses. Police has even been known to use camoflage nets to make them harder to spot. These kind of checks usually have a mobile controlcenter nearby. Usually a van or car, often parked in hard to spot places, so you often don't notice them until it's too late.

Radar guns. Officers hiding in all kinds of places, there are reports of officers hiding in bushes, behind guardrails, in emergency exit portals in tunnels, and anything you can think of.

Camera vehicles, these unmarked vehicles will just mingle in traffic and pick out the guys that really drive like kamikaze pilots. Some of these vehicles have camera crews on board to get footage for a dutch tv show.

Oh, and here is a little overview of confirmed speedtraps in western europe (unfortunately no data for the UK). Somewhere under that black/red blob is the netherlands...

europa_komplett.gif

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Macro, so that's how you Euros fund universal health care!!!

Wait, we have the radar and laser guns here too, and the speed cameras are migrating over the pond rapidly.

Do cops there tailgate people at night to push the drivers to go faster and nail them for speeding? I had that happen to me quite a few times, each time the Crown Vic turn signal in the front give them away but they always succeed on the next guy in front of me.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Cops tailgating should be illegal, but I'm not sure under what statute it would fall.

I don't think it's entrapment, since you are supposed to get out of the tailgater's way, not speed up till you outrun him. I'm pretty sure the definition of entrapment says they encourage you to do something illegal, not simply put you in a position where you choose to do something illegal.

Daniel

Mad1

Enlightened
Yeah but who's gona give a cop a ticket?

Police over here have been publicly slapped on the wrist for speeding.

On Sundays a road near us there is a Police van that is fitted with a speed camera but about 50m down the road there is a fixed camera. It's lunacy.

rodfran

Enlightened
A vendor set up a red light camera in my area. The city decided not to purchase the system. A total waste of time and money anyway.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This should spur on a new polarizing filter industry...like that 3M filter you put on your laptop so very limited viewing angle....or a convenient mud spraying resistant to normal washing, or tilted license plate holder. :crackup:

Saaby

Flashaholic
Gadget_Lover
In my city, a Red Light Camera Company (RLCC) offered to so a demo at their own expense. The RLCC installed the equipment at a freeway offramp. Then they 'tuned' the traffic signal to work with thier system. It turned out the 'tuning' included shortening the yellow light interval to increase the number of infractions. Set to the normal intervals there were not enough violations to pay back the RLCC's investment.

kelmo
In Sacramento the city in it's infinite wisdom reduced the yellow light time from 1 second to 0.5 seconds to enhance the ticket revenue of the red light cameras. As it turns out this is illegal as the yellow light has be at least one second long to allow drivers time to stop in the downtown area. They had to overturn all the tickets issued and return the yellow light time to one second.

I read a comumn in Car and Driver years ago. It didn't talk so much about speed traps as it did Red Light cameras. They are installed to make intersections safer, right? Too bad they increase accidents at intersections. One study showed that while the cameras did slightly decrease serious accidents in the intersection, rear-end accidents at the intersection went up dramatically

There was, however, something that seriosly reduced both in and at-intersection accidents. Something that doesn't cost any money, but unfortunately it doesn't make any money either.

That was adding another .5 seconds to the time the light was yellow.

I can't find the exact article, but here is a link to somebody talking about basically the same concept.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should spur on a new polarizing filter industry...like that 3M filter you put on your laptop so very limited viewing angle....or a convenient mud spraying resistant to normal washing, or tilted license plate holder. :crackup:

beginning january 1st this year it became illegal in California to obstruct your license plate with spray on, film, or other methods similar in nature, even if it doesn't change the normal view to human eyes(i.e. bonafide Peace Officers), I think it was AB801

the intent of that law is clear, being lobbied by the quasi-public body that run the toll roads in Southern CA.

Last edited:

flashlite

Enlightened

There are already some products on the market such as "Photoblocker" and "Sprayonmud". I believe Photoblocker was busted by MythBusters though. Sprayonmud would probably increase your risk on getting a fine.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I read the same report about extending the yellow period. Another (similar) technique is to set a short period of "all red" to ensure that cars clear the intersection.

If rear end collisions increase, then it would tend to indicate that the drivers are either:
1) Not paying attention or
2) Speeding up to get through the yellow light or
3) Tailgating or
4) Inept.

It's too bad that folks don't just accept the idea that sometimes they really don't need to get there that fast. Last Friday I hit at least a dozen red lights on my 30 mile commute. It did not really add any appreciable time to the commute. I did not blast through any of the yellows.

What might be really effective is an expansion of the new "Walk signal" that counts down seconds until the red light. There are some intersections near my house in a 45 MPH zone where I can tell with 100% assurance if the light is about to change. If they made them just a little larger and angled towards the traffic...

We have the technology. We have the capability......

Daniel

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have the technology. We have the capability......

Daniel

I too am a fan of the countdown signs that displays the seconds remaining of a green light.

now you have to convince city councils to forgo the revenue from the red-light tickets and improve traffic safety without collecting fines AND spending a little extra for these displays. Good luck on that one.:crackup:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I too am a fan of the countdown signs that displays the seconds remaining of a green light.

now you have to convince city councils to forgo the revenue from the red-light tickets and improve traffic safety without collecting fines AND spending a little extra for these displays. Good luck on that one.:crackup:

You know, that's worth a try. They may go for it if they are upgrading things anyway.

Thank goodness most city councils are staffed by well meaning people who have the best interests of the community in mind. Of course, some city governments lean towards supporting the businesses instead of the citizenry, but even so, they don't really worry too much about traffic fines as a revenue source. It's bad for business to make it an uncomfortable place to drive.

Daniel

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
If rear end collisions increase, then it would tend to indicate that the drivers are either:
1) Not paying attention or
2) Speeding up to get through the yellow light or
3) Tailgating or
4) Inept.

Or that they shortened the yellow light when they put the traffic cameras up.

Shortening the yellow almost certainly would cause more rear-end accidents, camera or no camera.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
There are already some products on the market such as "Photoblocker" and "Sprayonmud". I believe Photoblocker was busted by MythBusters though. Sprayonmud would probably increase your risk on getting a fine.

You have to weigh the liklihood of an LEO stopping and being sure of intentional mud blocking vs. high volume/100% detection automatic cameras. Then there are plate holders that get bent down when parking and bottom edge runs into curb stop. That happened to one of my cars in the past.

Myself, I use cruise control and don't speed.

ROFL...this is pretty funny...apparently google dropped this website, and now their host has suspended it....likely due to legal challenges because it worked so well?

Good old Archive.Org shows what you are missing.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Or that they shortened the yellow light when they put the traffic cameras up.

Shortening the yellow almost certainly would cause more rear-end accidents, camera or no camera.

I disagree. The study I read indicated that shorter yellows cause more side collisions, not rear enders. The cars enter the intersection even though they do not have time to clear it before cross traffic gets the green signal.

The traffic cameras cause people to hit the brakes suddenly when the light turns yellow. This is not a problem if everyone is following at the proper distance and are paying attention. It IS a problem if people follow too closely or are just not paying attention.

One of the main principles of driving is that you need to leave yourself enough space to take emergency action if the car ahead of you suddenly has a malfunction and comes to an immediate stop. A seized rear differential, for instance, will cause a sudden and immediate stop. So will a locked up brake shoe.

Daniel

Latest posts