Speed Traps

Saaby

Flashaholic
The traffic cameras cause people to hit the brakes suddenly when the light turns yellow. This is not a problem if everyone is following at the proper distance and are paying attention. It IS a problem if people follow too closely or are just not paying attention.

I don't know -- I can see that a person slams on their brakes when they are so close to the light that they should have just gone through on a yellow (That's the point of a yellow right? Stop if you can, but if you can't get on through!) and then the person behind maybe was following a little too close, would have been able to stop by the intersection, but not 1-car length from the intersection, so bam!

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
beginning january 1st this year it became illegal in California to obstruct your license plate with spray on, film, or other methods similar in nature, even if it doesn't change the normal view to human eyes(i.e. bonafide Peace Officers), I think it was AB801

the intent of that law is clear, being lobbied by the quasi-public body that run the toll roads in Southern CA.
Might be an interesting experiment to try different plate lights and special paints. The camera sees more than the eye sees.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Might be an interesting experiment to try different plate lights and special paints. The camera sees more than the eye sees.

There's actually a very simple solution if you just HAVE to run red lights that have cameras.

In California there is a personalized license plate that has a picture of a dark blue whale tail. The numbers / letters on the plate are dark blue too. If the center letter is thin (1, l, t, p, etc) it fades away into the background. Cameras have a hard time seeing the letter.

Of course, this means that someone with a similar plate gets your ticket, but if you can justify risking peoples lives by running red lights, that should not bother you too much.

Sorry I was a bit grouchy . I watched a near accident this morning as an idiot ran a red light a full second after my light turned green. I almost got rear ended hitting my brakes to avoid him.

Daniel

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
We would all live longer if everyone would obey traffic laws, use common sense, drive sober and use the skills they should have learned before getting their license. Too many of us are in a hurry to get to the graveyard while many of us want to delay that inevitability as long as possible. :shakehead

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have any luck with radar/laser detectors? Do they work? I'm wondering if the one I have (still unopened) might, someday, save me some money. I rarely speed and when I do, it's usually unintentionally. I sometimes get a scare, though, when I'm driving along, listening to the radio, not really aware of my speed and then I pass by a cop hiding out with a detector. Fortunately, I've not received any speeding tickets, because I'm usually driving the speed limit, but not on purpose. Sometimes, I'll notice that I am speeding and I'll slow down, but I don't always notice right away. Usually, I'll see the cop and think, "oh sh**(!)," and then go for the break as I glance down at the speedometer. So far, amazingly, I've always been ok, but my first thought is, "oh no, I'm speeding....I'm gonna get a ticket!" (that's followed by, "phew...I'm not speeding...thank God!" I almost feel like avoiding is ticket is almost out of my control and I'm wondering an early warning detector would be useful. I'm unsure of the legality of them in Los Angeles, but if they work, they supposedly provide warning far before the cop can spot me using them, and the one I've got is a cordless (battery operated) unit, so I'd be easily able to pull it off the dash and shove it in the glove box or in the arm rest compartment.

Helpful words, anybody?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm probably the one to ask... :)

A radar detector is not always reliable, since some police use techniques that only turn on the radar gun when they are fairly sure you are speeding. No radar signal = nothing to detect.

But anything that reminds you to check your speed is probably a good thing.

Be aware; some police will assume you have the radar detector to help you break the law, so they will be less likely to give you a break when you are stopped for any reason.

To combat my own inattentiveness, I often use cruise control on long stretches of road ( over 1/2 mile ) even when the speed limit is 25 MPH.

Daniel

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
To combat my own inattentiveness, I often use cruise control on long stretches of road ( over 1/2 mile ) even when the speed limit is 25 MPH.

Daniel

You Sir are a brave man.

whenever I go the speed limit in the silicon valley I get periodic attempts to run me off the road by otherwise law-abiding people, I cannot keep count of how many soccer moms in their Yukons have given me the finger for going the speed limit.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You Sir are a brave man.

whenever I go the speed limit in the silicon valley I get periodic attempts to run me off the road by otherwise law-abiding people, I cannot keep count of how many soccer moms in their Yukons have given me the finger for going the speed limit.

Thanks for the complement.

On the other hand, I recall only 3 incidents in the last 9 months where someone was upset that I was in front of them.

None were soccer moms.

On a multi lane road, a LOT of people drive the speed limit. Occasionally I'll be the slowest one in sight, but that's very rare.

On the other hand, It's been decades since I got a ticket and I don't find driving to be stressful at all.

Daniel

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you been on 280 Lately?

Most people see this:
280.jpg

and think it says this:

youre-supposed-2-go-80.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
To quote Jim Croce's " Speedball Tucker lyric:

One day I looked into my rear view mirror
And a-comin' up from behind
There was a Georgia State policeman
And a hundred dollar fine
Well he looked me in the eye as he was writin' me up
And said, "Driver, you've been flyin'!"
"And ninety five was the route you were on, it was not the speed limit sign."

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an idea.

Since most cameras can see IR. Why not have really really powerful IR LED emitters just drill a few holes in your plate mount the LEDs to shine directly back have a few shining on the side on to a piece plexi. To everyone it'll look completely clear but to the camera it'll be completely overwhelmed by the IR and it'll show up as a complete solid white sheet with bright spots were the LED's are.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Do people really run enough red lights that they would consider going through the trouble of adding IR leds to the back of their car?

I believe that I may have run 5 or so in almost 40 years of driving. It's not that hard to avoid doing.

Daniel

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not so much the redlight cameras because I never run a red.

It's the speedtraps which is in the name a TRAP. One minute you're going the flow of traffic and the next you're stuck with fine.