Spike Light - V3

ahorton

Enlightened
If you do, that would be great. Any help getting the open-source UI ball rolling would be appreciated. I'll need to think up some appropriate 'thank you'. Its an ATTINY85V.

I'll still pay the royalty to my friend since he did the work, but I hope that eventually there will be enough options out there that everyone will be happy.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
To start with, they'll come with one of three UIs (Simple, Competition and Competition+extras) and I'm happy to give out the software for each if people waht to try them out.

Maybe I missed it, but would you mind giving a quick run-through of each UI? If it's something you were going to do in the sales thread, then I can wait for it!!

ahorton

Enlightened
I'll give flow diagrams later but here are the basics:

Simple - Five flood modes and one spot. Any sort of press (long or short) moves you to the next mode in the list and then back to off. No mode memory.

Competition - You use double clicks to choose your preferred flood level. Then it's just a single click to go from flood->spot->flood. Long press turns it on/off.

Competition + extras. Same as Competition + a double click from 'off' gets you into a group of modes including beacons/strobes, sos, lockout, batter indicator and all LEDs on full power.

All versions have a low-battery protection that disables the more powerful modes automatically. This is just a safety feature. The cost is barely 20 minutes of the high modes but the reward can be hours or even days of light on the ultra-low modes.

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
AHORTON!!!!! about time, i've been waiting :).... i didn't read through your entire thread however, will there be an optional additional coloured LED? to retain night vision? red or green or blue..

ahorton

Enlightened
Hi Ants.

Yes its been a while. The Red LED has been removed, but its possible to make a custom V3 with a red XPG. Probably it would be easier to just remove the lens and put a little red filter over one or both of the flood LEDs. Then set up a UI to address them individually.

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
filter would probably be nice..

maybe you can enlighten me or make that an option?? removeable filters!!!!! YAY ;)

Hi Ants.

Yes its been a while. The Red LED has been removed, but its possible to make a custom V3 with a red XPG. Probably it would be easier to just remove the lens and put a little red filter over one or both of the flood LEDs. Then set up a UI to address them individually.

ahorton

Enlightened
The flood is much smoother, but the spot has picked up a couple of artifacts. These only show up when looking at white walls up close.

ahorton

Enlightened
Not as standard. It uses standard 18650 cells. It can be modified to accept the V2 battery, but then it can't use the 18650 cells anymore.

E5I50

Newly Enlightened
I believe you have designed a headlamp which I did not think I would find. One which I could wear to run, bike, and cave. Any estimates on run-times and/or power consumption in the various modes?

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For caving, a UI which allowed for a spot-augmented flood would be useful.

Having long used a light with independently-controllable beams, most of the time I use a blend biased strongly towards flood, with spot typically just adding extra reach without wrecking the flood nature.
Not only does that give what I think is the 'nicest' beamshape for most of my activity, well suited to both moving in narrow-ish passage and across floors, but for usefulness in route-spotting, etc it allows significantly lower power consumption than I'd need if I was using a flood-only beam (and that's the case even though my flood is somewhat more centre-biased than a 'naked' flood would be).

ahorton

Enlightened
AsianAnts, The V2 battery had 2 18650 cells pre-welded and sealed up into a custom battery pack. The V3 also uses 2 18650 cells, but they are not soldered into a pack. They can be removed and replaced like you would a regular cell. There is an 18650 holder with spring contacts.

Thanks again for the kind comments. Hopefully I can make a few up this weekend to start selling them.

ahorton

Enlightened
I whipped up a few diagrams and a crude video to show how the 3 standard UIs work. Nothing pretty. I'd rather spend my time making the headlights, but I realised that people need this info first

simple.gif

com.gif

extras.gif

http://youtu.be/RK63BGZ1hVA

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
sheesh, now to incorporate an under chin strap:)

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally some pics and video!

Looking great man.

If there is a list, put me on it.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the video! The beams look great, and I love the "competition mode" UI. I've been checking daily to see if it's for sale.