SPORTAC® P60 drop-ins ©2014 Eagtac™ LLC

ven

Flashaholic
Got the 2 mode xpg2 flavour in the other day. Not tried it out yet....

Really like the nichia so more of a change of tint with this one, nearly got the neutral x60+ , but the starting in high killed it for me. I find 20% spot on for most uses, so Sportac it was.

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Anyone Sportac user found that drop-in has undocumented low battery voltage warning just like some Eagletac models?
"When 18650 li-ion battery falls below 2.9V, the LED will flash once every 30 seconds to remind you that the battery is almost out".

My newly arrived 3 x Nichia unit has it and problem is that unit starts warning too early. At high mode after ~25 minutes of operation and low mode after ~3 hours.
Warning starts when there is about 60% of runtime left. Tested with new Eagletac 3400mAh battery and Solarforce host with all contacts clean.
Drop-in still continues to produce light for the rest of runtime. If battery voltage under load is really 2.9V or below it shouldn´t work very long.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone give me the top lens end diameter and then the tail end diameter of these units please ?

ven

Flashaholic
If no one gets back , i will get it for you tomorrow as both mine are in work. Are the p60's pretty much the same size anyway, other that slight design changes on the body. Never had any fitting issues anyway in various hosts. Is it a particular host in question?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone give me the top lens end diameter and then the tail end diameter of these units please ?

The SF compatible version (which will also fit in Solarforce hosts) is 26.3mm diameter at the lens end and 18.7mm diameter at the battery end.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF compatible version (which will also fit in Solarforce hosts) is 26.3mm diameter at the lens end and 18.7mm diameter at the battery end.
Legend thanks !

I have a cheap light pooped on me, I wondered if I could get a triple dual mode to drop in , looks like it might. Instead of soldering in a new led on the existing pill.

Illum

Flashaholic
I bought the XP-L HI two-mode to replace my XM-L2 single mode and honestly I was disappointed. both are Neutral white but the XP-L's output was lackluster and appears the reflector used was incompatible, further the high and low was not significantly separated... not as much as the XP-G2 two mode dropin. Only advantage is that on low it sips power and on high out throws the XM-L2.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Faulty switch or undocumented drop-in behavior?

Noticed my L2T SS with Nichia Triple P60 started to blink or turn off. First idea was a faulty switch, but then I checked battery voltage and it was 3.075V. Now I am charging the battery. Will be sad if the problem persists. Will have to find a new switch.

ven

Flashaholic
Faulty switch or undocumented drop-in behavior?

Noticed my L2T SS with Nichia Triple P60 started to blink or turn off. First idea was a faulty switch, but then I checked battery voltage and it was 3.075V. Now I am charging the battery. Will be sad if the problem persists. Will have to find a new switch.

Sounds like a warning of low voltage by your description vad, 3.075v then under load will drop it under 3v and cause to blink.

ven

Flashaholic
Reg switch, sure you get a spare with the L2T iirc, also just make sure secure as over time of removing tail cap, can loosen and simply just need a nip up with circlip / needle nose pliers(or alike),

sygyzy

Enlightened
Was looking for a Nichia triple P60 drop in and after days of researching I went with SporTac. I just installed it yesterday and couldn't believe the build quality. I like the spring too - looks really sturdy plus a nice flat disc for contact. My film canister case says it's a XM-L but there's a little bit of text that says it's a Nichia.

I ordered the latter and since I've been out of the flashlight game for a while, my eyes can't really tell the difference. The light is quite white. How can I tell that I really have a Nichia drop in and XM-L?

Also, the two brightness levels claim to be 20% and 100% but when I switch between them, they seem really close in brightness. Maybe 80 and 100. Is this a bug?

Lastly, in all my bodies - 2 different Solarforce and a Surefire C2, the switching is really inconsistent. Sometimes it takes 3 on/off's to switch between the two modes. Any advice?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an L2T SS from Solarforce. To select a mode I do half-presses from off (the switch is forward clicky). When I see the necessary brightness I just turn a half-press into full-press. Done :)

I use 18650GA unprotected and modes are obviously differ in brightness. Make sure your battery is capable of high current to provide necessary power for the high mode.

P.S.: Just checked mine with a DMM. Low current is 0.4A, high current is 1.956A. 20% and 97.8%. Battery voltage is 3.74V. Perfect :)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I would make sure the cell has proper contact(length wise). Depending on the host(solarforce and surefire are quite different i have found) and require little "tweaks". These can be using an extra spring(larger one that sits at the base around the bottom of the drop in) or using a longer cell(some of my surefire's have had to have a magnet on the end of the cell to aid contact, so when shook it keeps in contact with p60.

20% and 100% should be noticeable, so the obvious would be to make sure cell voltage is good.

Its not unusual to have different info on a case, mine have had nichia stickers on the case(goes to get a pic)

The last triple i got was a dual mode nichia, but tint was way off(too cool and would put it 5500k ish). Long story cut short, was returned, the rest of the dual modes were the same so sportac have messed up somewhere. Ended up with a single mode nichia this time which is not ideal but i needed the 4500k tint i am used to with the sportacs. So it now resides in my cooly which is fine being a beefy host and fed on 26650 food.

You can easy remove the little internal silver ring that unscrews , the optics will easily lift out(take care not to scratch or put finger prints over it) and take a pic of LED's. Or from what you see, look on the net for a pic of the nichia to compare to.

ven

Flashaholic
3 sportac line up, xp-g2/219c 4000k 2 mode and 219b single mode

Been using the 219c 4000k quite a bit in work so brought home and using my 4th sportac which is a 2 mode 219b, just to break it up! Got to love the sportac triples:)

ven

Flashaholic
Not been bumped for a while, big fan of these sportacs.................after all $30 or so for a triple nichia is hard to beat IMO. Added another 219c 4000k,
From L-219c 4000k 2 mode/xp-g2 2 mode/219b single mode/219c 4000k 2 mode.

My other 219b 2 mode is a daily work horse, dropped many times and still perfect

So far 5 sportac triples..............i must like them:)