SST-50 homemade spotlight

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple and extreme :D Just wondering how much lux this could have. 500k? :thinking:

jspeybro

Enlightened
I actually went through anchor optics, which is connected with edmund optics somehow. The lenses were fairly inexpensive compared to what you'd get at edmund optics.

yeah, edmund is like thorlabs and newport, just making sure they can provide you with anything optics related, hide where they get it it so people think its all edmund thorlabs or newport. in many cases they buy the smaller companies, but sometimes, the companies still exist and they are just distributors.

smoke would be nice :ironic:

ostrograd

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic! Using a two-lens optical system is a great idea. It's a bit like the Dedolight optics, which I've always thought would be an interesting avenue to explore for portable lighting and possibly flashlights.

Their website's a bit weak, but nevertheless has some worthwhile information on the design (look under Optical System, Lenses, and Mechanics). They're used mostly in film and video lighting.

I have a few and much prefer them to standard fresnels; the design really is miles better. And they have incredible throw.
Seems there ought to be some good ideas in there for other lights...

Walterk

Enlightened
Dedolight optics, Mechanics...
Awesome! Try the animation.

And in the beamshots in the first post you see how the beam needs distance to mature.
@EasyB: In the shot lighting the tower, it seems the narrowest part of the beam is not at the tower but somewhere inbetween. Is that true or is that only apparantly?

haode

Newly Enlightened
Nice light ! :eek: Haha ever thought of making a casing for it ?

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Would anyone here be interested in doing a how-to on the calculations for designing a two-optic system like this? With the little I've learned about optics, I wouldn't feel confident trying to figure it out myself.

This really is the most interesting project (to me) that I've seen on here in a while; it's such a different approach and looks to result in a very nice beam.

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Pictures are back on !!!!

WOW THAT THING IS FANTASTIC!!!!!

Well done mate, I wish I had your patience/creativity.

Nice one :twothumbs

Walterk

Enlightened
Would anyone here be interested in doing a how-to on the calculations for designing a two-optic system like this?

More about the functioning of the pre-colimator can be found in the thread Formula for calculating throw using aspheric lens .

Making calculations seems to be quite hard, and seems to be a matter of trial and error. From my experiments a f-0.55 first lens, and a f-2.0 large lens works best with the f-2.0 lens.
Other combinations might work better, but I can't tell, as a layman myself.
You might google for 'beam-expander', as that is a common application of this principle.

jspeybro

Enlightened
Would anyone here be interested in doing a how-to on the calculations for designing a two-optic system like this? With the little I've learned about optics, I wouldn't feel confident trying to figure it out myself.

This really is the most interesting project (to me) that I've seen on here in a while; it's such a different approach and looks to result in a very nice beam.

I could, but don't have all the necessary details for this setup. I'm in a hurry now so maybe I find time somewhere this week to explain the setup.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
WOW!! Welcome to CPF, EasyB :) !!

That is a spectacular first post - what a superb light! Brace yourself for a lot of questions and comments from admiring members!

Spectacular indeed!

Members such as EasyB are what make this forum so special.
I gladly contribute to help with expenses here for this very reason. Everything else is just gravy.
Thanks for joining/posting EasyB !!

:welcome:

lovecpf

EasyB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the compliments; I'm glad you guys like it. :cool:

About the focus of the beam, it's possible it could be improved, but not by much.

I'm excited about my next light project. I'm going to stick a 55 watt HID in an $8 spotlight I got from walmart. Its reflector is 85mm in diameter. The HID kit is going to be from DDM tuning. It will be powered by 4 A123 brand LiFePO4 26650 cells. It won't be quite as unique as this spotlight, but sometimes I'm just power hungry.:rock: I'll definitely show it off here when I'm done.

EasyB

Newly Enlightened
Here is the requested smoke shot to reveal the beam between the lenses.

vW299Jw.jpg

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
More about the functioning of the pre-colimator can be found in the thread Formula for calculating throw using aspheric lens .

Making calculations seems to be quite hard, and seems to be a matter of trial and error. From my experiments a f-0.55 first lens, and a f-2.0 large lens works best with the f-2.0 lens.
Other combinations might work better, but I can't tell, as a layman myself.
You might google for 'beam-expander', as that is a common application of this principle.

Thanks, I'll read through that and see what I can learn! :)

I could, but don't have all the necessary details for this setup. I'm in a hurry now so maybe I find time somewhere this week to explain the setup.

If you have the time, that would be really great. This project makes me want to figure out a scaled down version with a smaller emitter for a Maglite... :sssh:

Al Combs

Enlightened
I actually went through anchor optics, which is connected with edmund optics somehow. The lenses were fairly inexpensive compared to what you'd get at edmund optics. I don't think I had this exact design in mind when I purchased the lenses. Got a bit lucky I guess. I picked the small lens because it has a very high diameter:focal length ratio. 47mm diameter, 21mm focal length. I picked the fresnel lens because it's big and round.

I'll try and get a good side shot with the beam on.
So the small DCX condenser is AX27459 and the 13" Fresnel lens is AX27363? Nice job on the smoke picture. It looks like you just position the collector so the cone of light it creates is the size of your Fresnel lens, at the point the Fresnel comes into focus. This is one of those projects the more I look, the more I like it.:twothumbs

If it's not too ghetto, perhaps the right size black bucket would help cut down on the glare when you're using it long distance. A box made of ¼" plywood and painted flat black on the inside would be even better. A small square hole at the bottom would give your heatsink breathing room and a means to reach the on/off switch.

EasyB

Newly Enlightened
So the small DCX condenser is AX27459 and the 13" Fresnel lens is AX27363? Nice job on the smoke picture. It looks like you just position the collector so the cone of light it creates is the size of your Fresnel lens, at the point the Fresnel comes into focus. This is one of those projects the more I look, the more I like it.:twothumbs

If it's not too ghetto, perhaps the right size black bucket would help cut down on the glare when you're using it long distance. A box made of ¼" plywood and painted flat black on the inside would be even better. A small square hole at the bottom would give your heatsink breathing room and a means to reach the on/off switch.

Yep those are the part numbers that I got. For getting the lens distances right I moved the fresnel lens so that the image is focused then I moved the small lens so the cone fills the fresnel lens, then I repeat those two steps till it's good enough. A glare reducing enclosure would be nice but it would have to be light.