Steam punk inspired light for my Brother and his Wife.

jason 77

Enlightened
Just got done putting it all together, Uses a CREE XHP50 being driven at about 1.5 amps with a simple constant current circuit and 555 timer PWM to allow dimming. The circuit and power supply are in the wooden base and the little faucet knob is attached to the pot in the 555 circuit.
2015-05-16%2B16.02.47.jpg

And lit up at full power.
2015-05-16%2B16.03.56.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nifty! I assume that the copper disk and wire coil are supposed to represent an incandescent bulb?? That's a nice contrast between the new and old tech.

On the practical side, while I like the old fashioned power cord, I'd consider using a three prong plug with a safety ground. I'd tie the safety ground to the copper pipes, etc., and consider putting a fuse in series with the hot side of the AC power. It's unlikely that anything bad will happen, but if there is some sort of internal electrical failure and the AC voltage gets shorted to the copper pipes... well, I'd rather have some protection than explain to people why my gadget nearly killed them.

Qship1996

Enlightened
+1 that's exactly what I thought when first viewing your creation.Ground & fuse.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very cool; thank you for sharing! It looks great. How long did it take to build?