Strange adivce from garage company

nitebrite

Enlightened
I got six high end commercial openers installed. The company informed me if I must use Led's use only expensive ones. They said otherwise the Led's will emit frequencies that conflict with the openers. So, I do not see A21 23 watt bulbs for more than $15 or so. Are those expensive ones? is the company correct about this? Thanks

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not so sure it is the LED itself that emits the RFI, I believe it is likely the Power supply or possibly even the LED controller/driver they are referring to. Btw, I commented on a thread about RFI a while back. If you ever experience RFI, or EMI problems with leds, Ferrite coils are cheap and can often help. Sorry that doesn't answer your original question. But, it may give you a better idea of what is possibly going on.

brickbat

Enlightened
Yes - it's a real problem - EMI from the power supplies in the LED lamps can interfere with the remote control receiver in the GDO.

I'd think it's hit or miss, though. You'll just have to run some experiments. Or just use incandescent...

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of Philips 100W "Basic Bulb" LEDs in my garage door opener to no apparent ill effect. They are certainly not expensive: $12.97 for a 2-pack at Home Depot locally.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is going to depend on the CFL. CFL's exist with both magnetic ballasts (which emit essentially no Radio Frequency Interference) to solid state electronic ballasts that certainly can (and some do emit) substantial amounts of RFI. Generally the magnetic ballast are less efficient than the electtronic ones. However depending upon the frequency the switcher runs at in the electronic ballast and the design, the emitted RFI may be nowhere near any of the frequencies used by the Garage Door Opener, so it will be unaffected. The same may not be true for other devices in the household however. YMMV

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
as noted, the switching power supplies in bulbs, both LED and CFL, have the potential to produce RF (radio frequency) noise and interfere with the garage door opener.

I would recommend avoiding the crappiest lights and buying stuff from a well known manufacturer. If you do have problems, remove the bulb(s) and see if the problem goes away. If so, then either buy some other high end LED bulb, or just go with incandescent.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Saw this happen (RF interference) in the field a number of times with power supplies for FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) installations. It was usually in new houses with inexplicably barren garages (no power save for a ceiling outlet for the garage door opener). The equipment vendors' solution was to provide a long AC power cord for the power supplies and stern instructions for installers to locate said power supplies well away from garage door openers.

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds oldschool to me. I have a new opener and plenty of LEDs around with no problems.

Now on my old opener (~1991), my neighbors remote would open my door or a garbage truck going by. I think it once opened when I sneezed.

brickbat

Enlightened
I design radios for a living. It's not just an old-school problem. Modern UHF receivers, such as those used in GDO's are sensitive to high harmonics of nearby switching supplies.

The problem manifests as reduced range in attempting to close the door (because the lamp is usually 'ON' then) - not as unwanted openings.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
I'm using Phillips 60 watt dimable and they work without interference. I tried the non dimable ones and they caused interference with the remote.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I have some cheapo Philips horseshoe sort of looking A19 LED bulbs in Craftsman (Chamberlain) and didn't notice and difference from when it had incandescents.