Streamlight LED Survivor

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
How is the quality of the battery carrier? Will it stand up to many reloadings, or is it flimsy?
Ya know, that's a good question. I was just looking at that very issue last night. The carrier itself as a whole is very tuff. I can hardly flex or twist it at all by hand. It appears you could drive a small vehicle over it without much damage. The thing that I don't like about it is the way the two halves snap together. The clips are positive alright, it won't come apart, it's just that they've not incorporated any easy way to unclip the two halves to replace the batteries. At least I haven't figured it out yet. Being that Streamlight targets Firefighters and the like with this product, if you were wearing gloves, there is no way you could change the batteries in this thing. Maybe they figure 3-6 hrs. runtime is enough for a single outing.
smile.gif

That said, I believe I've answered your question. It should last a lifetime.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Lite. That's what I wanted to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to order additional carriers for my inbound yellow Survivor Led.

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys and gals, wave the meat out in front of a hungry dog why dont you. Give me some reasons not to buy this light. I have spent too much money already this year.

:whistle:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blackheart said:
Ok guys and gals, wave the meat out in front of a hungry dog why dont you. Give me some reasons not to buy this light. I have spent too much money already this year.

:whistle:
Ummmm.... you don't like Yellow or Orange? :grin2:

Phaserburn said:
Thanks, Lite. That's what I wanted to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to order additional carriers
for my inbound yellow Survivor Led.

Ah ha...! Gotcha ! :D

Last edited:

crowbar

Newly Enlightened
I just got my yellow LED 2 days ago..finally. l0o0o0o0o0ove it.

Have any of you had a problem with the 4AA battery pack not keeping contact with the light due to the 4 batteries moving around?

Mine kept shortin out on me and I found it was do to that.

I put a little rubber "foot" above each battery on the plastic battery case to stop them from moving around on me. Don't know how well it will help though.

Is the pack suppost to do that? I would hate to get in fire and have that go out on me.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't really know for sure, but given the reliability of Streamlight products for the public safety arena, I'd doubt it. You should probably either get it replace through the vendor or get it fixed replaced through Streamlight or one of their warranty stations.

crowbar said:
Is the pack suppost to do that? I would hate to get in fire and have that go out on me.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
crowbar said:
I just got my yellow LED 2 days ago..finally. l0o0o0o0o0ove it.

Have any of you had a problem with the 4AA battery pack not keeping contact with the light due to the 4 batteries moving around?

Mine kept shortin out on me and I found it was do to that.

I put a little rubber "foot" above each battery on the plastic battery case to stop them from moving around on me. Don't know how well it will help though.

Is this with primaries? Meaning, with alkaline batteries like the Energizers it came with? Even so, it shouldn't do this. I'm using NiMh in mine and haven't noticed this problem. Most rechargables are fatter than primaries and would help to keep them from moving around inside the carrier. I'll put some primaries back in mine and play with it some to see if I can reproduce this. If it is a problem, others would experience also because the carriers seem well made. I wouldn't expect much variances in the mold and the battery (carrier) pressure against the contact springs is excellent.

QXS71

Newly Enlightened
Lite_me said:
Being that Streamlight targets Firefighters and the like with this product, if you were wearing gloves, there is no way you could change the batteries in this thing. Maybe they figure 3-6 hrs. runtime is enough for a single outing.

I would think that a firefighter would want the rechargeable model as their dept. is probably already using the incand. version with the chargers and battery packs. I bought mine from a local fire equip. supplier, he had figured these would be hot sellers, he was right. His initial order was just about sold out. I got his last alkaline version.

By the way, the Energizers that came with mine, fit in the holder fairly snug. I have yet to try any NiMH in it.

This is an awsome light, I Love it!!!! I'm most impressed with the throw, jesh that reflector is deep. When I got out my 4AA ProPoly lux to compare the beams, I thought the propoly had developed a malfunction, had to put in fresh batteries just to make sure and was shocked at the difference between the two lights. I'm really glad I bought this light...
John

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
QXS71 said:
I would think that a firefighter would want the rechargeable model as their dept. is probably already using the incand. version with the chargers and battery packs. I bought mine from a local fire equip. supplier, he had figured these would be hot sellers, he was right. His initial order was just about sold out. I got his last alkaline version.

By the way, the Energizers that came with mine, fit in the holder fairly snug. I have yet to try any NiMH in it.

This is an awsome light, I Love it!!!! I'm most impressed with the throw, jesh that reflector is deep. When I got out my 4AA ProPoly lux to compare the beams, I thought the propoly had developed a malfunction, had to put in fresh batteries just to make sure and was shocked at the difference between the two lights. I'm really glad I bought this light...
John

Hi john..
You are most likely right about this, I never thought of that.

I have tried both and both types seem to slide around about the same with the carrier in your hand, not in the light. Once in the light, it takes a fairly vigorous shake to get the batteries to rattle. And when they do, I get no flickering from the light.

I have two SL PP 4AA Lux's. And a brother has another one. One of mine is a winner! It blows the other two away. It comes very close in throw to my Survivor. The spot is not as tight and there is not as much fill around the spot like the Survivor has, but it's impressively close, none the less. When compared, what stands out between the two is how much more fill the Survivor has. The Survivor has a little bit brighter spot too, cause it's a bit tighter.
My Survivor came with the LED off to one side in relation to the reflector. This made the spot slightly elongated vertically and sewed the surrounding spill as well. I've corrected 'some' of it with careful manipulation of the emitter assembly.

I am happy with my Survivor but would be curious to compare it to another. Guess it's just the flashaholic in me.
grinser2.gif

Last edited:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
As a Firefighter, I will be purchasing the rechargeable one and an AA adapter for backup. In my station there are no less than 4 survivor chargers floating around so being able charge it almost anytime is not a worry. The only reason I will be getting the AA adapter is for the call that will inevitably happen where I will not have access to a charger for an extended period of time. I will be getting mine this weekend at a Fire/EMS convention in VA Beach... I can't wait!!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to using being able to use alkalines, you'd also be able to use NiMH batteries (that can be charged quickly from one of the 15 minute chargers) in a pinch. The only concern, however, would be whether the use of the NiMH batteries in the AA holder would compromise any of the safety ratings (that don't seem to be listed for this light.)

FireFighter05 said:
The only reason I will be getting the AA adapter is for the call that will inevitably happen where I will not have access to a charger for an extended period of time. I will be getting mine this weekend at a Fire/EMS convention in VA Beach... I can't wait!!!

schill

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
The only concern, however, would be whether the use of the NiMH batteries in the AA holder would compromise any of the safety ratings (that don't seem to be listed for this light.)

The fact sheet you can reach from the streamlight page cited in the first post indicates that they have applied for Division 1 and Division 2. Click on "TECH DOCS" at the bottom and select "Fact Sheet".

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I guess I just glanced over it. That would indeed explain why they're not listed.

schill said:
The fact sheet you can reach from the streamlight page cited in the first post indicates that they have applied for Division 1 and Division 2. Click on "TECH DOCS" at the bottom and select "Fact Sheet".

QXS71

Newly Enlightened
FireFighter05 said:
As a Firefighter, I will be purchasing the rechargeable one and an AA adapter for backup. In my station there are no less than 4 survivor chargers floating around so being able charge it almost anytime is not a worry. The only reason I will be getting the AA adapter is for the call that will inevitably happen where I will not have access to a charger for an extended period of time. I will be getting mine this weekend at a Fire/EMS convention in VA Beach... I can't wait!!!

Hold up on ordering the dry cell case... at my local supply house, the rechargeable lights come with a dry cell case, one NiCad pack, one charger base and a 12v and 120v charging cords... I'd double check that with whomever you are going to order from....no need to order a separate dry cell case unless you want it...
John

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
QXS71 is right. Unless you need a second alkaline battery holder, the rechargeable models already come with an AA battery holder.

FireFighter05 said:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
QXS71 said:
Hold up on ordering the dry cell case... at my local supply house, the rechargeable lights come with a dry cell case, one NiCad pack, one charger base and a 12v and 120v charging cords... I'd double check that with whomever you are going to order from....no need to order a separate dry cell case unless you want it...
John

Wow, thanks I did not realize that. I will be buying direct from a vendor in person so Ill have to make sure that I get the dry cell holder. I will probably get a second rechargeable as well to have on hand.
These lights are so popular among Firefighters that our turnout gear actually has a place designed for a Survivor. I thought people on here would find that interesting... Ill post pictures of it if anyone is interested in seeing them...
Dave

Latest posts