Streamlight Night Com UV Review

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the 5.11 atac pluv. I was hoping to find a subwoofer review for it first but I couldn't resist. Supposedly a nichia 375nm in an aaa light. Have you heard anything about it?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the 5.11 atac pluv. I was hoping to find a subwoofer review for it first but I couldn't resist. Supposedly a nichia 375nm in an aaa light. Have you heard anything about it?

I've not heard much, but I am working up to doing a UV comparison review and when I sort out my next review items from 5.11 I'm going to request one of these.

Have you looked at the Kai Domain 365nm UV P60? Sku 22214. You just need to put it in a P60 host of some sort. I don't know if it is 365 nm but it sure does fluoresce things that my 395nm UV doesn't (money).

I'm just about to order one to add to the lights in a UV comparison, so we can see how well it performs. (EDIT: Just ordered one)

Thanks for the heads up. Hope they send you one for review soon. :D

Hmm... Strange, because all the publicity on their website says "Ultraviolet LED provides 3000mW at 365nm". :shrug:

NITECORE have declined to send me a CU6, but being a bit of a UV freak, I've gone and bought one myself. So far UV output looks very good, but I will start a new thread once I've done a few more tests.

What is interesting though is that there is some information about not all material fluorescing well under 365nm UV, and the 395 having a use for certain materials. In many ways, this makes the Night Com UV the most versatile as by having both, you cover more uses. All the other lights I have are single frequency only.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do all 6 UV LEDS come on at the same time with this Streamlight Night Com light?

Yes they do, you cannot select only the 365nm or 395nm LEDs. The six LEDs are arranged so they alternate between 365nm and 395nm as you go round the reflector.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just about to order one to add to the lights in a UV comparison, so we can see how well it performs. (EDIT: Just ordered one)

Brilliant. With CU6 as well, you're in the best position to do this.

but being a bit of a UV freak, I've gone and bought one myself

Got some spare change for the Tank TK566 UV 365nm as well? There is a 1W and 3W version in AA or 2xAA. The 1W version supposedly has a single emitter under the dome and the 3W version has two emitters. It also comes in a 395nm version as well. Buying the Tank is really confusing because of all the models.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant. With CU6 as well, you're in the best position to do this.

Got some spare change for the Tank TK566 UV 365nm as well? There is a 1W and 3W version in AA or 2xAA. The 1W version supposedly has a single emitter under the dome and the 3W version has two emitters. It also comes in a 395nm version as well. Buying the Tank is really confusing because of all the models.

So the Kaidomain SKU 22214 is likely to take several weeks to turn up. My order status is 'back-order' but the item page says ships in 1-3 days. I won't hold my breath.

As well as the CU6 I also now have the Tank007 TK-566 365nm UV (1xAA) and the Tank007 E06 365nm UV (1-2xAAA). This is in addition to the cheap 9LED UV ebay special, and the Night Com UV in this review. I'm hoping to get hold of the 5.11 Tactical UV light to get a comprehensive set. Once I have got everything together I can make some comparisons.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Nitecore CU6? Just curious how the single 3W high powered 365nw UV LED compares to the 6 smaller UV LEDS on the Nite Com UV.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Nitecore CU6? Just curious how the single 3W high powered 365nw UV LED compares to the 6 smaller UV LEDS on the Nite Com UV.

Yup, definitely looking forward to your comparison review, subwoofer! I'm definitely looking into getting a CU6 in the near future. 365nm is spot-on for Norland curing. Whilst the NightCom UV gets the job done, the output strength leaves much to be desired for Norland curing.

RI_Chevy, I have no doubts that as far as 365nm UV output is concerned, the CU6's UV emitter output strength is definitely more than the NightCom UV's 6 LEDs. As mentioned previously, however, if the purpose is for UV florescence, the mixed output in the NightCom UV may be more desireable.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the clarification on the single UV LED vs the 6 smaller LEDS. These are very hard to compare to each other. I am thinking of having a custom made Triple UV LED P60 style head made up with the powerful 3W LEDS in 365nw.

I really do not care for the UI on the Streamlight. Specifically the dial on the side. I really do not care for having a single white LED and a single UV LED in a light like the Nitecore CU6 either. So I guess that leaves me getting a custom drop in made to fit what I am looking for.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the clarification on the single UV LED vs the 6 smaller LEDS. These are very hard to compare to each other. I am thinking of having a custom made Triple UV LED P60 style head made up with the powerful 3W LEDS in 365nw.

I really do not care for the UI on the Streamlight. Specifically the dial on the side. I really do not care for having a single white LED and a single UV LED in a light like the Nitecore CU6 either. So I guess that leaves me getting a custom drop in made to fit what I am looking for.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with. UV LEDs can be very costly, just look at the Tank007 TK-566 white version at $16.66 and UV version at $49.39 giving a $32.73 difference just due to the LED being used.

3x 3W 365nm UV LEDs will be a lot of UV!

The Night Com's UI is very good. A simple pre-selected output via the side switch, then a forward clicky. This is actually one of my favourites.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I didn't realize that the UV LEDS were that expensive.

The real ones are...esp at a true 365 nm range.

LED don't naturally make UV a efficiently as say a florescent tube, etc, do....so to get real juice at 365 nm, its very difficult.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The multi-ops 3 aaa is this lights little brother.
This review causes me to like it more now. Before reading this review I thought of it as a nifty light.
Thanks!!!

It lacks the safety setting though.

It's a uv, with a laser.
The LED can be used in combo with the red laser.

^^ against the 6P for size reference.

The 50 lumen beam is pretty good at throwing. I couldn't believe it when I was shining it indoors.

^^ seems they worked on the dimples.

^^ that's about 200' at sunset.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The multi-ops 3 aaa is this lights little brother.
This review causes me to like it more now. Before reading this review I thought of it as a nifty light.
Thanks!!!

It lacks the safety setting though.

It's a uv, with a laser.
The LED can be used in combo with the red laser.

^^ against the 6P for size reference.

The 50 lumen beam is pretty good at throwing. I couldn't believe it when I was shining it indoors.

^^ seems they worked on the dimples.

^^ that's about 200' at sunset.

Thanks for the post.

I like the look of that, especially having the laser. I just don't like 3xAAA. I'd rather the same features in a 2xAA (but that is just my personal preference).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the post.

I like the look of that, especially having the laser. I just don't like 3xAAA. I'd rather the same features in a 2xAA (but that is just my personal preference).

Agreed. 2 aa would be sweet.

It was an impulse buy in a Farm Equipment/auto parts store in a 1 horse town I was working in. We were going to block their store front so I went in to say "sorry sir but..." and ended up walking out with a flashlight and a free ballcap with the guys company logo.

Got it home later and was very pleased with the light and the ballcap.