Streamlight Stinger Piggyback charging question

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new Streamlight Stinger DS HL flashlight from Amazon which came with the Piggyback charger. This setup came with two batteries, one installed in the Stinger and one in the Piggyback extra battery charging slot. I also ordered an additional battery, so total I have 3. I plugged the Piggyback charger in with the Stinger inserted and left the extra battery in the slot of the Piggyback. Charging started like expected, a red LED solid lit next to the flashlight portion and an additional LED solid lit by the extra battery portion. After about 4 hours the LED by the flashlight portion started blinking, indicating the battery inside the flashlight was fully charged, but the LED by the extra battery was still on solid. Thinking that the extra battery might have started at a lower charge level I took the fully charged battery out of the light and put the 3rd battery into the light and resumed charging of the 2 batteries. After about 2 hours the red LED on the flashlight portion started blinking again, but the extra battery LED is still solid red. I'm having a hard time believing that the extra battery would take more than twice as long to charge as the battery inside the flashlight. My question is, should the LED by the extra battery slot start blinking when the extra battery is fully charged, just like the LED by the flashlight does, or does the LED on by the extra battery only indicate that it is properly inserted and it never blinks and the LED by the flashlight is the only one that ever blinks? I was under the impression that each light would be independent of the other and each light would be solid when that part of the Piggyback was charging, and each light would begin blinking independent of the other when it's corresponding portion was fully charged.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same flashlight but only have the standard charging cradle, have you contacted Streamlight's customer services to ask the question?

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I have the same flashlight but only have the standard charging cradle, have you contacted Streamlight's customer services to ask the question?
Not yet. I will tomorrow if they work on Saturday, was hoping this was a simple question for this Forum for someone using a Piggyback charger.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Model # 75205
So that's the smart charger with the USB? From the owner's manual:

The smart PiggyBack® charger features an integrated charger/holder for a spare battery. Insert the dual contact end of the battery into the PiggyBack® sleeve toward LED indicator. The red PiggyBack® LED functions in the same manner as the primary flashlight charger/holder LED.
The red LED on the charger housing (or PiggyBack® sleeve) must light to ensure that the battery is being charged.
• Charging…LED is steady.
• Charged…LED pulses shortly every second.
• Error…LED pulses rapidly. This may be caused by out-of-range temperature or input voltage.
• It is normal for the indicator to switch between steady and blink

I don't have the smart model so I can't say how it works in the real world. It does sound like yours isn't working right.

I do have a non-smart piggyback charger, and that one will stay steady forever on NiCd batteries or blink with NiMH.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya at first I thought it must be a trickle charger as they stay red. But looks like there may be an issue. I'd contact them. Good choice in lights. I love my polystinger. Even on a 6 year old nicd battery, still runs for 2 hours on high before dropping below 70% then drops quickly. With 3 batteries you must need a lot of runtime on high output

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya at first I thought it must be a trickle charger as they stay red. But looks like there may be an issue. I'd contact them. Good choice in lights. I love my polystinger. Even on a 6 year old nicd battery, still runs for 2 hours on high before dropping below 70% then drops quickly. With 3 batteries you must need a lot of runtime on high output
Like ammo, you can never have too many batteries. :)

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Well after about 7 hours the red LED on the spare battery portion of the Piggyback started blinking indicating the battery was finally charged. I have a feeling the charge level might be reduced on the spare battery portion of the Piggyback as compared to the main flashlight portion. I ordered another Piggyback as I want to use it in another room, so I'll see if that one works with timing of charge closer on both flashlight portion and spare battery portion. I received 3 Nickel Metal Hydride batteries with the kit I have. Thanks for your replies.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is untrue. Ammo is not freely refillable, and it lasts indefinitely. His extra batteries will go bad eventually.
Man I wish I could cradle charge 12 gauge shells. Lol
Some ammo is "refillable" i.e. reloadable. But I doubt if the Ukrainians are picking up brass and reloading them. They just ask Uncle Sugar for more, and so far, get it. :rolleyes:

Yes, his extra batteries will go bad eventually. That is why I said that you cannot have too many batteries! You have to keep replacing them. And in an emergency, you may not be able to recharge when you need to, so having many extra batteries charged and ready to go is a plus.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some ammo is "refillable" i.e. reloadable. But I doubt if the Ukrainians are picking up brass and reloading them. They just ask Uncle Sugar for more, and so far, get it. :rolleyes:

Yes, his extra batteries will go bad eventually. That is why I said that you cannot have too many batteries! You have to keep replacing them. And in an emergency, you may not be able to recharge when you need to, so having many extra batteries charged and ready to go is a plus.
I know I reload. Even cast my own. That's why I said freely. It only cost $.001 to fill a battery. But those batteries just die on their own in about 6 years. Even if you don't use them.