Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlights and self-defense?

I'm fairly new to being a "flashaholic" if I can even be consider that now, so when did flashlights become about self-defense other than perhaps for cops?

Many lights have crenelated bezels for self-defense. Why? When I think of self-defense the last thing that comes to mind is a flashlight. I also don't spend much time thinking about self-defense.

Also, why does almost every light today have one or more strobe modes? Is there any history at all of this feature being useful or successful in a rescue situation? Are there numerous stories of people being rescued due to their strobe?

These two features are more or less in the irritating category for me and I see posts every now and then where people are trying to program with away. Who was asking for strobe modes in the first place?

The "have or not Strobe" is a looooong discussion and I wont get it back. However, IMO a crenelated bezel can be useful when instead a knife or something, but USE it could not be a good idea. Or, the question is WHEN use it.

Although I don't have a scientific study to quote at this time, it is my personal belief that the strobe effect from a well trained muzzle flash has a much better chance to deter/subdue an attacker than a hand torch.

A flashlight is a tool used to illuminate a threat, not eliminate a threat.

Could a flashlight be used effectively as a self-defense tool? Sure, but the same could be said for flinging an angry cat at your opponent.

I agree 100%!

Databyter

Enlightened

I'm fairly new to being a "flashaholic" if I can even be consider that now, so when did flashlights become about self-defense other than perhaps for cops?

Many lights have crenelated bezels for self-defense. Why? When I think of self-defense the last thing that comes to mind is a flashlight. I also don't spend much time thinking about self-defense.

Also, why does almost every light today have one or more strobe modes? Is there any history at all of this feature being useful or successful in a rescue situation? Are there numerous stories of people being rescued due to their strobe?

These two features are more or less in the irritating category for me and I see posts every now and then where people are trying to program with away. Who was asking for strobe modes in the first place?

The number one reason is that at night, this is usually on your hand or in your pocket/belt, so it is a hunk of metal you have with you already at night.

The crellenated bezels just make it that much more damaging if you hit sombody with it because they focus the same force over a smaller impact area, so that even a glancing blow will probably be more effective as a deterant.

That's really the primary reason, it's there, and it's legal, another consideration, it is a tool who's primary goal and purpose is illumination, but being that you use it at night, gosh knows where or why, it's nice to have something solid in your hand.

Also it might look strange to have a lead pipe in your hand walking through a scary part of town, but a light is innocuous and provides the same enhancement.

Last edited:

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I think everyone should give some thought to self defense. We live in a society where the threat and reality of injury by a person or animal is very real, so why not be prepared? You might not want to carry a folding knife for protection, but the flashlight bezel is better than a untrained fist in my opinion. We should also be prepared in the event of an accident or other emergency, to be able to light our way or signal for help. The strobe feature of these LED flashlights, provide a get tool for signaling for help and temporarily blinding a threat. How about sharpening the bezel to make it more effective? You either want to be a victim, or a survivior and a survivor prepares!

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

I agree with databyter ( Mike), it can't hurt to have that solid, heavy flashlight in your hand. Who knows, maybe it will make a difference?

Last edited:

2Reason

Newly Enlightened

It is my considered opinion that a flashlight has only one role in self defense: To ensure that the sights of your firearm are aligned on a hostile rather than a friendly.

Good point... there are too many devices of dubious value being touted as self defense weapons, thereby giving people a false sense of security.

At best a blinding light will buy you some time, and that could be extremely valuable in a potential lethal force encounter. However, to successfully employ a modern day LED light the size of an M21 Warrior as a defensive weapon would require sufficient skill in hand to hand combat in order to be effective.

As a retired law enforcement official, my long term experience suggests that there is no substitute for extensive training in both armed and unarmed combat. Such an achievement is not easily acquired.

Accordingly, there are too many people carrying handguns without sufficient training, so they will never effectively deploy them in that nano second time span of opportunity. To do so requires extensive repetitive muscle memory training.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong proponent of 2nd Amendment Rights, but advocate sufficient training and education for those that accept the responsibility of being armed.

Other less lethal weapons provide an exponentiated diminished return on effectiveness without the requisite training. Some devices like Tasers and Pepper Spray represent a modicum of legitimate protection. But again, training in their use is paramount.

The only flashlights that I consider defensive weapons are the old Kel-Lites and MagLites, whose substantial size qualified them as legitimate bludgeoning devices. Their lethality was legendary in policing, and their misuse by police led to their eventual banning in most progressive departments.

DM51

Flashaholic

As noted above by the.Mtn.Man, there is a currently still active thread on this topic, so we don't need a separate one. I'm merging the two.

Members are advised to read the entire thread before replying. The thread is subject to strict moderation and there is to be no discussion of gratuitous violence. I reproduce here a post from earlier in the thread:

Self-protection (and protecting one's family and friends) is a matter that is obviously of great interest to members. That's why we try to keep threads like this open wherever possible. However:

This is a family-oriented forum, so any discussion of violent behavior, use of weapons, causing injuries to people (etc., etc.) is out of place. That should go to the Underground or elsewhere.

It is irresponsible for anyone to encourage members to think that carrying a flashlight is the answer to their concerns. IF the light can be deployed quickly (and that is a big if), it may briefly dazzle an offender. In the last resort, it may serve as a blunt or sharp instrument. That is about as far as it goes.

Attackers come in all shapes, sizes, and dispositions. It would be futile to make any general pronouncement about the effectiveness of a flashlight being deployed against any of them. To say that this or that light is the answer is irresponsible, as this could just encourage a false sense of security.

All we as CPF staff can do here is try to ensure that discussion stays on topic for this forum. We can also point out where posts are unwise or offer bad advice, but that is really a matter for members themselves.

It is a difficult problem (as we have seen here, with ~16 posts deleted so far) to keep track of a thread like this and to ensure it remains within the rules. The discussion will in many cases belong elsewhere, perhaps on self-defense oriented websites. But we'll leave it open here for the time being – as long as posts are sensible and remain within the rules.

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened

The only flashlights that I consider defensive weapons are the old Kel-Lites and MagLites, whose substantial size qualified them as legitimate bludgeoning devices. Their lethality was legendary in policing, and their misuse by police led to their eventual banning in most progressive departments.

Anyone that's ever been treated to a "MagLite Shampoo" will confirm this statement as an undeniable fact.

Unfortunately, in many cases of "misuse" the light was used in an offensive instead of defensive manner.

Databyter

Enlightened
I think a bright light is a good idea for your wife, and better than nothing, but I agree with most of the above that I wouldn't depend on a light stopping an attacker, assuming she could even deploy it effectively, for more than a few seconds.

I was thinking Pepper spray, but I surmise that in the UK where insanity rules, it's not legal to have the responsibility for ones self, Big Brother will protect you. Personally I might bend that rule for my wife depending on the penalty.

But how about those super loud portable horns, not the party ones but the real hard core defense ones that are shatteringly loud.

Your wife will expect the sound the attacker will not, it should shock him or discourage him. It certainly will bring alot of attention and attackers of women are cowards who don't like publicity.

I'll try to find a link, I'm thinking they might be considered legal since it is just sound and direct contact is not made.

EDIT: A google search later, heres the first one that popped up, http://www.defensedevices.com/air-horn-portable.html
Kinda big, but should fit in a purse, and further searches will net some more portable designs. I hear they are effective because they snap people into a sort of shock and awe mode where fear is the first instinct. This one claims to be actually dangerous to eardrums when aimed directly at the head, use with caution. You don't need to always have the horn head on, you can put it on for sinstance when leaving work, the rest of the day it's very portable in a purse, even with head on it will still fit and be on top.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could a flashlight be used effectively as a self-defense tool? Sure, but the same could be said for flinging an angry cat at your opponent.
Now all they need to do is invent an angry cat that'll fit in your pocket and can be wielded at a moment's notice.

jsholli

Newly Enlightened

Now all they need to do is invent an angry cat that'll fit in your pocket and can be wielded at a moment's notice.

Yeah, but it's got to be a short-hair...we all know that long hair can be a big weakness in hand-to-hand [or hand-to-paw] confrontations :ironic:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, you need the Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man
..................................................................................................................

Yeah, but it's got to be a short-hair...we all know that long hair can be a big weakness in hand-to-hand [or hand-to-paw] confrontations :ironic:

...................................................................................................................

Actually ....... a HAIRLESS CAT would scare the attacker even MORE :eek:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Wanna buy an attack cat?

54953859.jpg

is2w.jpg

is3p.jpg

is5.jpg

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: L.M.A.O. :crackup::laughing:

Those are GREAT .... please blow them up a little

for effect

I'll take the 3rd one with the FANGS ... and EVIL green reptile eyes .

:sold: PM me your PayPet address ...... :takeit:

Is it already "ATTACK trained" ...... with certification papers ?

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
Can't believe this topic has not been closed in over 200 posts!

I would second the issue of having an item adversised as a "self defense" bezel or "strike" bezel in the UK. I would not like to be the test case for this in terms of a "sharply pointed article", or more likely one "made or intended for causing harm"

Blinding effect won't work in a street lit area, only near total darkness.

Having a crazy bright light shone in his face may just spook the attacker though I suppose (EDC-MCE maybe? total flood 700 lumens) but I also think Stoppa Red would be better.

DM51

Flashaholic
The topic has gone full circle, and just about everything has been said that can be. I'm closing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts