STUNG by a hornet/yellow jacket!

PJ

Enlightened
If you try the vacuum, put some Tide or other detergent with enzyme and water in the bottom of the vacuum. ( I am guessing you would use a wet/dry vac. ) The enzyme kills them and neutralizes the scent released when some stinging insects die.
I had a nest of some kind of small black and yellow bees under my aluminum siding right next to the front door. I rigged a 6 gal. Shopvac nozzle right where they were coming out and started it up just before dawn. A few hours later I had about a 1" deep by 10" diameter layer of bees floating in the vac. I did this again 3 days later and didn't see any more bees around there the rest of the summer.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I couldn't remember the meat tenderizer "trick". The pain kept me up last night, couldn't sleep. Found some kind of creme with some kind of "...caine" in it - dabbed it on, wrapped a bandaid on it and it's "finally" starting to feel better.

That little bugger ceratinly "nailed me"! But he paid the ultimate price!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Bee or wasp stings do not bother me much except for the initial pain from the sting itself. I get a swollen place of course but a few hours later the swelling is usually gone and I just have a red itchy spot. By the next day all that is left is the tiny spot where the stinger entered.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, we have bees, hornets and wasps where I live although it's been many years since I've been stung but I'm sure glad we don't have some of those hideous creatures you guys in warmer climates are describing.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, getting stung on the cuticle does sound bad. The worst spot I have been stung on was the top of my head. The cuticle does sound worse. That said I will give some advice that might help some silly people avoid being stung.

Things not to do related to stinging insects.

Hunting bees with CCI .38 revolver shot shells is a bad idea.

Shooting a hornets nest with a handgun is a bad idea.

Shooting toilet at the dump full of bees is a bad idea.

These are things only a 16 year old would do I think.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was stung by a paper wasp in my early teens, and it about brought me to my knees! In my less-enlightened youth, I also survived downing a number of bumblebees with .22 birdshot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (They don't always stay "downed!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif ) Rumors in my circle of friends has had it for at least 20 years that a Tarantula hawk's sting is quite mild! No first, second, or third hand experience- just rumor. The links in this thread got my attention!

Hey Jon, load your own .38 shotshells with #12 shot. Much more effective on the smaller targets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Larry,

The CCI ones we were using did have #12 I think. This was back in the late 70s.

A could of us loaded up our revolvers with the .38 shotshells and then hit the nest that was in a toilet at the dump with a single solid bullet. When the toilet broke there were lots of angry insects.

The shotshells are not good on swarms.

Oooops,
Larry, you are right. those .38 shotshells are #9.
I think if we even had 12gauge with #12 shot it would not have been enough.

The new Taurus .410 smooth bore revolver looks interesting however.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
A few years ago I was at my friends house when we dicovered a bee hive in an oak tree in his front yard. being around 15 or 16 then we got a 20 foot pole and started jabbing the entrance of the hive with it./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Of course you know what happened, a bee came down and stung my friend in between the eye lid and the eye brow. he yelled and ran and jumped into the street and started rolling around in the middle of the street until the pain went away.
to make sure that his mom wouldnt notice he wore a pirates patch over the eye so she wouldnt notice!(he was known for doing things like this so it wasn't too much out of the ordinary)

we left it alone after that, but we always were thinkin of ways to get our revenge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I've been stung by ground hornets or something? I was walking on this hill by my house and i guess I stepped too close to a hive that was built in the ground(they're kinda hard to see) and was immedeately stung. I ran down the hill and ran halfway down the street before they left me alone. I was stung on the calf and a couple times on the top of my head.

needless to say, I havent been on that hill in years.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
NRA>listen to them someday. The velvet ants(actually wingless wasp) sing pretty songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have heard them. Very high pitched, not really a buzz.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still remember the bee's nest on my neighbor's house. The exterminator got rid of it by spraying it with soapy water (I was told that he used DAWN dish soap)

I've only been stung by a bee on the belly; it got down my shirt while I was working in the yard. Scraped the top of the stinger off immediately then went inside and pulled the rest out with pliers.

I've delt with paper wasp using a garden hose and one of my old neighbor's delt with his using a truck mounted power washer (18hp Honda V-twin powered) and a very long pipe attached to the end of the wand. I've also tried shooting them down with an airsoft gun and a paintball marker but if you do do the latter, I suggest you pre-plan an escape route to an enclosed area before opening fire.