---Stupid Light Laws---

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to have a coworker who often questioned conventional wisdom. Didn't matter who it was he'd challenge. He was not very popular. But one day not long after the company had been bought out the new CEO had a gathering to give us all a pep talk. In my line of work their are designers and oversee'rs. We don't actually build anything. But the CEO kept mentioning big, noteable projects we (the new owner) had built. The coworker says "so we now hire a labor force?" The CEO not knowing the trap he was about to enter says "well, yes we hire some of the worlds best engineers and designers". The coworker says "but you said we build things". The CEO says "sure, we design and impliment those designs". The coworkers says "but you said we build them, we can't build anything without builders". The CEO has a sheepish grin on his face and says "but sir, don't you agree design is part of the building process?"

I'm thinking "awe man my man is about to get fired". The coworker does not hesitate and quips "no, designing and building are two different things". The CEO's minion chimes in "sir you are correct we don't actually hire a labor force to build projects". The coworker didn't hesitate one bit and says "but he just said we build things, he should not tell people our company builds things". Now the CEO did not get where he got by being stupid. He quickly changed the topic to upcoming projects the company would be involved in and why our little company would fit into their plan. He did stop saying "we build" though. Yet it was one of the company slogans "we build things right". Still is to this day.

The coworker had been my mentor for nearly 5 years and there had been times he had me questioning if I even had my first name correct. Yet a long since put away rebellious side of me often caused him to say "hmmm, I'd never considered that." The day he "caught me" riding a skateboard on a new pavement he snarled "don't you let me catch you riding that thing again". I snapped back "I'm inspecting the pavement for flaws much faster than walking". Another day he asked if I had my skateboard with me to see if there were any flaws in the 1000' long bridge deck that had just been finished.

I've learned over the years to question conventional wisdom, but to use a tactic that causes the other person to think it was their idea at times. At times people said I should run for office. I'd respond one of two things will result. I'll either quickly be run outta town for challenging the leader's status quo or worse, become like them.

My coworker was very proud of how he had backed the CEO into a corner that day. To me, to embarass the guy in front of a crowd was no great accomplishment. So questioning why a law about lights does not cause me to get all twisted about it. I'll just keep the liight inside to vehicle strapped to my wrist and deploy when it's time. I do it all the time with a 1000 lumen Maglite ML150 at my job.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an ML150 at work sometimes.

Attachments

• 32ADA2FA-568D-4914-BA60-77B5937FE872.png
    32ADA2FA-568D-4914-BA60-77B5937FE872.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47