---Stupid Light Laws---

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---idleprocess--- I am unfamiliar with "underground". Does this mean topics must tread within given bounds the duration of the conversation? Doesn't seem to jive with natural exchange. I would imagine that would stifle just about any thread. Just confused and curious.

The pressure gauge story reminds me of mechanic shops getting federally investigated for buy fuel filters. Because, you know, bad stuff can be made out of them so the mere existence of possibility sprouts lists and suspects.

Now we're safe, lol.

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---ghostguy6--- The flashlight length regulation made my stomach hurt. I do not possibly know where to start with the stupidity of such a law. Sincerely, I feel for you.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---jtr1962--- Formal education produces no appreciable boost in intelligence when measured by way of non-culturally specific tests. It's been put to bed.

Nor have I ever esteemed the collegiate practice of rote memorization and regurgitation followed by low retention.

I also don't care if my chiropractor, mechanic or dog sitter know the elevation of Buenos Aires or Planck's constant.

Pride in unrelated, arbitrary courses of study is as impressive as owning a library card. At least a library card doesn't come with indoctrination and crippling generational debt.

Point being I do not believe formal education is the stairway to heaven as it was sold to my generation. I am far my convinced the morality and stability of the traditional family unit is every society's catapult but that's another discussion.

I will leave you with this, we are more intelligent and more advanced than ever... where's the utopia?

*Trade schools and a fraction of core classes excluded from this citique.

**I love ellipses... obviously.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT:
{Seems like CPF above ground is becoming more overtly, politically divisive. Guess I'll have to learn how to avoid the "so and so is a whacko" "she is not a whacko" stuff.

It is not really fair for me to put down the self-aggrandizing sanctimonious words either because of being guilty of it as well.}

The CPF Underground is a place related to our community where pushy people can crawl up on their soapbox and show the whole world how a donkey brays.

Others can spend time there talking about divisive content such as 'this world is played out, boys, let's sit around and complain about it.'

Perhaps it is a place for Reddit refugees.

Could be where all the astute, erudite, internet 'keeping it real' superior beings congregate.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I am unfamiliar with "underground". Does this mean topics must tread within given bounds the duration of the conversation? Doesn't seem to jive with natural exchange. I would imagine that would stifle just about any thread. Just confused and curious.
It's the off-topic forum for contentious discussions which are prone to being shut down on CPF 'proper'. Previously there were explicit rules against political topics here, now the process seems to be more subjective.

The pressure gauge story reminds me of mechanic shops getting federally investigated for buy fuel filters.
Seen more than a few pitches for 'fuel filters' with internal features that bear more than a casual resemblance to baffles, conveniently threaded ½x28 / ⅝x24 / (and occasionally 24×1.5) on one end, and lacking threads on the other with a feature one might describe as a 'crown'. The clever dodge used to be to omit the latter feature and sell it as a 'solvent trap' which did not draw the attention of the alphabet soup bois, leaving the decision to machine a final hole to the user (and file the appropriate forms).

jtr1962

Flashaholic
---jtr1962--- Formal education produces no appreciable boost in intelligence when measured by way of non-culturally specific tests. It's been put to bed.
Because it's not meant to. The purpose of education is to let you maximize the potential of whatever intelligence you're born with. Obviously the often touted mantra that anyone can be a doctor or engineer is BS as most lack the intelligence for it. But a decent education helps you become the most you can be. Granted, it's far from the only factor, but it's one of the most important ones.
Nor have I ever esteemed the collegiate practice of rote memorization and regurgitation followed by low retention.
That's more like what you do in grade school. By the time you get to higher education you're being taught to think and reason, not just memorize pointless facts. The latter is even less important in this day and age where you can look up anything online, hence no need to fill your brain with a bunch of useless trivia.
I also don't care if my chiropractor, mechanic or dog sitter know the elevation of Buenos Aires or Planck's constant.
No, but I assume you care that they're educated in whatever service they're offering you. I wouldn't want to go to a doctor whose education is solely from WebMD.
Pride in unrelated, arbitrary courses of study is as impressive as owning a library card. At least a library card doesn't come with indoctrination and crippling generational debt.
How many people go around all their lives bragging about the courses they took in college? And the indoctrination part* doesn't apply to many courses of study. I personally favor more people getting STEM degrees. We need that, plus it's mostly useless liberal arts courses which may resort to indoctrination. As for crippling debt, I firmly believe student loans shouldn't exist because they're the very definition of predatory lending. You should have whatever level of education you merit fully paid for. "Merit" means keeping up a minimum GPA. It's in society's best interest to maximize the potential of everyone. For some that means paying for school through a PhD. For others it may mean paying for trade school. Regardless, education shouldn't be something you're forced to go heavily in debt for. Nearly every other first world country does exactly what I said. The US is one of the most properous countries on Earth. We can certainly afford it.

* Since you bought up indoctrination, it's funny how some of the same people complaining about schools indoctrinating their children are OK with religious indoctrination which shoves it down their throats whether they want it or not. At least attempted indoctrination in college can be better resisted by the nearly adult brains of college students. Children are very prone to brainwashing of all types. I'd rather just stick to basic academic education for children. No talking about gender identity OR religion. When they become adults they can learn about those subjects if they wish.
Point being I do not believe formal education is the stairway to heaven as it was sold to my generation.
The message was distorted. Instead of being a place where you learn to think, college was sold as an "investment". The payoff was supposedly a higher paying job. Unfortunately, that ignores the basic rules of supply and demand. More supply of something, in this case college graduates, the less that degree is worth. The colleges were happy to go along with this given the money fountain from government in the form of student loans. Perhaps we should have held these colleges to their promises. If they fail to find that well-paying job for a graduate by a certain time frame, the college is on the hook for the student loan, not the student. At least it would make them get rid of useless majors and stop turning campuses into luxury resorts. I remember my dorm in college was basic, and we all shared a bathroom/shower. This was in Princeton. Nowadays even low tier colleges are offering dorms with private bathrooms, pools, spas, etc. The lifestyle is being sold more than the education.
I am far my convinced the morality and stability of the traditional family unit is every society's catapult but that's another discussion.
I don't disagree but it's merely one of many factors.
I will leave you with this, we are more intelligent and more advanced than ever... where's the utopia?
Because we're not more intelligent and advanced than ever. The very fact a poor person has to borrow heavily for education means many who would benefit from it decide against it. They don't want to go into debt. I can't blame them. I might have gone a lot further had I gone to graduate school but as it was the debt load I was carrying just to get my BSE scared the sh*t out of me. I wasn't about to double or triple it. The downside of loans instead of grants is we have a large and growing uneducated/undereducated population. Add to that certain factions who actually glorify ignorance. When I was in school this wasn't the case. Most people agreed an education was good. But even then we were replacing grants/scholarships with loans. Bad move.

As for "utopia", maybe a good start to heading that way is to stop glorifying corporate profits and the accumulation of massive wealth over all else. Then there's also the ownership concept, where entities claim ownership over the planet's resources. That needs to go. The resources of the planet belong to nobody and everybody.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like CPF above ground is becoming more overtly, politically divisive. Guess I'll have to learn how to avoid the "so and so is a whacko" "she is not a whacko" stuff.

It is not really fair for me to put down the self-aggrandizing sanctimonious words either because of being guilty of it as well.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
America was founded by rebellion against authority. Now some would say tyranny. But it was the authority figure at that time.
That was mostly lies. I don't mean to sound like a Tory but we would have been better off to remain under British rule. Aus and Canada aren't doing so bad and Hong Kong wishes they were still British.

I guess enslaving Africans for longer than England did and genociding the natives was more important than paying some taxes.

Then there is always the Falklands. The UK went above and beyond to make things right when they got invaded.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like CPF above ground is becoming more overtly, politically divisive. Guess I'll have to learn how to avoid the "so and so is a whacko" "she is not a whacko" stuff.

It is not really fair for me to put down the self-aggrandizing sanctimonious words either because of being guilty of it as well.
I would go to CPFU but I have long forgotten the password to my email I use for here and BLF.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

To be fair I still ended up having an intelligent conversation later on in another thread with the same person I made that exchange with. This is unlike other sites where it'll start out like that and just devolve to name calling.

In the end we all have more in common than not. I'd rather focus on that than on relatively minor, often petty, differences.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0041.jpeg

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the lie? I see nothing that is untrue about what he said? can you elaborate with historical facts?
The tyrrany part. The 13 had problems with Spanish privateers, French soldiers, and natives. England provided a protection force. They also made available exotic imports(tea from India.) In addition to providing a stable form of government.

Here is a quote I like about it.

'Not so. I question whether they suffered any injustice at all, let alone tyranny. He also implies that I criticize the Revolution for not redressing all injustice and for not creating utopia. Again, not so. I criticize the Revolution because it was itself an injustice and would have remained so even had it created utopia. Whatever good it brought about was brought about by violent treason against legitimate, lawful government.'

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tyrrany part. The 13 had problems with Spanish privateers, French soldiers, and natives. England provided a protection force. They also made available exotic imports(tea from India.) In addition to providing a stable form of government.

Here is a quote I like about it.

'Not so. I question whether they suffered any injustice at all, let alone tyranny. He also implies that I criticize the Revolution for not redressing all injustice and for not creating utopia. Again, not so. I criticize the Revolution because it was itself an injustice and would have remained so even had it created utopia. Whatever good it brought about was brought about by violent treason against legitimate, lawful government.'

Seriously, this is the best you can up with? a quote from an institute of religion and democracy director who is on the very left side of the spectrum. Google who this guy is. Seems like he is in a propaganda business, not history. At least quote some one who lived in those times, and was not part of the crown.
Simple age old concept, no one starts revolutions, unless it is really bad. IT takes a several things for revolutions to happen, all of which are pretty major things that only exist where there is a desperate need for it.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I imagine if I lived a bit farther north I would have the Canadian talking points. Most that supported the Crown went there. So there is literally a nation full of people that didn't go along with the US gov back in 1776.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I imagine if I lived a bit farther north I would have the Canadian talking points. Most that supported the Crown went there. So there is literally a nation full of people that didn't go along with the US gov back in 1776.
Who were they thou? After ww2 many nazis left for Argentine and south America in general, those where the people who supported Nazi fascist regime, history often repeats itself.

During and after the Revolution, approximately 70,000 or 15% United Empire Loyalists fled the United States, with the rest of the 85% choosing to stay in the new nation. Of these, roughly 50,000 Loyalists settled in the British North American colonies, which then consisted of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Prince Edward Island (created 1769). The Loyalists who settled in western Nova Scotia wanted political freedom from Halifax, so Britain split off the colony of New Brunswick in 1784. Quebec was also divided into Lower Canada and Upper Canada under the Constitutional Act of 1791, permitting the 8,000 Loyalists who settled in southwestern Quebec (which became Upper Canada) to have a province in which British laws and institutions could be established.

Another question why would you have a different opinion based on location? facts do not change based on your location, only political agendas, and propaganda.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course they did, they failed, but they never gave up, they are doing it again right now, in a different way. but this is for a different thread.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
One of the many things the English did that really irritated the colonists was restrictions on manufacturing businesses. The colonies were to be a source of raw materials like sugar for rum, plant fibers for fabrics, metal ores and ingots for iron etc - and expected to be a market for rum, fabric, farm implements etc manufactured in the UK.

The Ames Shovel Works was one of the American companies rebelling against The Iron Act of 1749. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Act

Then there were men like Lieutenant-General William Tryon, governor of North Carolina, who saw the colony as his own personal piggy bank to shake high taxes from in order to fund building himself a really nice palace. So nice it got rebuilt to the original plans in the 1950's.

It re-stands today as a quite nice museum, and example of the English excesses and abuses in the colonies.