Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
I found a very un-expected host for a SMJLED PR2 bulb. I slapped one inside my old crappy Cateye Halogen HL-500 bike light and MAN did that thing light up! It uses 2 x C cells and a crappy 2.5 volt halogen bulb. With the SMJLED bulb in it it is at least 4 times brighter and the light is pure white. I am pleasantly suprised! I haven't used this light in years on my bike cause of how crappy it was but I might just give it a second chance now!

cateyehl50005mob5.jpg

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Eveready Industrial 2D. A fairly tight spot with some light artifacts just outside of it, and quite usefull spill. Got the light at Home Depot for about 6 bucks.

It actually had a pretty good beam with the stock Phillips KR102 2.4V .7A....

Dang! I REALLY don't have enough SMJLED PRs!!!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
ENERGIZER Quick Switch.

The Red Cross was giving these out in New Orleans after Katrina. It is unique in that it will run on 2AA, 2C or 2D cells. While it is not watertight it makes a great candidate for a light duty houshold emergency light because it will run on anything.

I dropped the SMJLED into three of them so far and it makes a great light for power outages. The reflector is bigger than a M/\G's and is faceted down by the bulb. The hotspot is just a little bit bigger than the highly collumated beam of the original bulb, with a smoother transition into the corona. For what it is it's quite throwy, actually. I really like it.

Yesterday I pulled some alkys from another light and they measured ~1V. I put them into an unaltered Quick Switch and they wouldn't even make the bulb glow -- nothing. I them put them into one with the SMJLED and they made an admirable amount of clean, white, useable light.

This will be a great inside-the-house power failure light -- I've given away three of them. Everyone who has gotten them has been thrilled.

Omega Man was kind enough to put up beamshots of the Quick Switch w/SMJLED here.

I'm gonna order some more SMJLEDs.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whoops! The Westinghouse "Surelight" can't take a fall. The head threads broke off at about a 2 foot fall onto carpet. It may have hit something on the way down, but that's pretty dispicable!!!

I still find the United Outdoor 84cent 2AA to be about THE 2AA SMJLED host.

And the newest Eveready 2D Contractor is pretty good for a 2D host.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, the 84 cent special was the bomb! But for those who can't get them anymore, I just wanted to bring the Eveready 2AA contractor up again. It is basically what the Walmart "United Outdoors" light was copied from, and is much sturdier built, although it costs the princely sum of four bucks at Home Depot. The beam has a bit larger hotspot, so a bit less throw, but nicer for close work. I find the switches mostly a bit easy to turn on and a risk for accidental activation while transporting, but there are sufficient threads on the tailcap to turn it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn for "lockout" without fear of losing it.

Hondo

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
UPDATE:

The Rayovac Swivel Head 2D that I am so fond of as a "SMJLED PR Host" has changed!

Saw one at Lowes earlier and they now have smooth reflectors. There may be other differences but THAT is a BIG ONE!

If you find an older one with a faceted reflector, GRAB IT!

lednut

Newly Enlightened
Mikeg23 said:
Thanks for posting this picture. I've been trying to find a 2AA light that would hold an 18650 and this light looks like it will.
Ever put a 2-cell Magled in one of these Energizer Worklights? It is very nice with good spot and side spill. You would be very pleased with it.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
lednut said:
Ever put a 2-cell Magled in one of these Energizer Worklights? It is very nice with good spot and side spill. You would be very pleased with it.

No I was planning to use an incandescent bulb with the 18650 just to see what it looks like. I might try the led out of the 3AAA craftsman light with the 18650 too.