Suggestion for power-outage/general flashlight

arty

Enlightened
I got a SL twin task 2D for this purpose. Output is pretty good with the LEDs, and they have a long run time. There is a review at flashlightreviews.com.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be nice to have a headlamp. with a nightglow dim light facility, to find it.

Then again, it is easy to attach Safe-light, of any type, to waistband, or headlamp strip. Don't forget the magnet.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
For the handheld light(s) could there be anything more recognizable than a 2D M*g?

Put a M*gled Drop In (or buy a whole pre-built light) and put a diffusing lense on it.

Good for outdoors and not too bad for indoors.

Last night the power was out here for about 7 hours. I picked up one of two River Rock 2AAA that I keep by the bed. One has a Dorcy 1AAA led assembly driven by one AAA. That was the one I picked up. But it seemed so bright I was SURE it was the stock one!

In pitch dark, it doesn't take a lot of light. But for general use, brighter is often better.

M*gled is a good compromise!!!

steve_vance

Enlightened
mmace1 said:
Hi, I'm hoping for some reccomendations on a flashlight gift for some family friends! :)

They want a flashlight for general household use, mostly for when the power goes out. They live in inland Oregon, so long-term power outages aren't the norm, but maybe once a year there will be a 1/2 day outage or something like that.

Thing is, since this will be the first & only "good" flashlight, I suspect it'll take on a more general role, like being used around their property, etc., but maybe not...

When I asked about size, they said something which could fit in a drawer, something along the 2D size of flashlights, with 3D being too large.

So...what would you get them? I was thinking a black 3C SL PP. I was thinking that over the 4AA variety becuase of slightly higher output, and better battery life when using standard alkalines, which I imagine is what they will use.

But...what do you think, go with that light, or another suggestion to look into????

Speaking of Streamlight, and 4AA flashlights, take a look at the thread on Stremlihgt Survivor LED. Don't let the picture fool you. It's a fairly small light.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmace1,
An MJLED PR base led upgrade from Lighthound ($8.99 each and free shipping) in a Garrity Tuff Lite is a nice durable package. I prefere the 2AA Tuff Lite as it has more side spill for inside the house. It's bigger brother the 2D has a nice hot spot, but less side spill. The 2AA will get over 20 hours, the 2D will get over 60 hours I think. While your at Lighthound, pick up a bunch of those .99 cent keychain lights for keychains, stashing around the house and in vehicles, giving away.

MJLED:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/arcmania_led_upgrades.htm

.99 cent keychain lights:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/keychain_flashlights.htm

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
WNG said:
You stated a size constraint. What's your price ceiling?

For a cost effective power outage solution:
Search the SMJLED hosts thread and related threads. There are some successful 2D host mods listed. A rugged water-resistant rubberized body and deep reflector will yield a relatively inexpensive yet robust power-outage light. You'll get well over 24 hours of continuous bright light from a SMJLED PR drop-in and 2D cells. The output will rival 3D incans.
The Garrity Toughlight, Energizer Hardcase(polarity issues?), and the Coleman Floating light, comes to mind. Posts on these hosts claimed great output results.

I like NiMHs, so I prefer AA's to D's on a price to performance ratio. I've combined my 3 SMJLED PR's with AA hosts for general and extended runtime duty.
But being a flashaholic, I've enough batteries and lights to stay lit for a week!
;-)

Here's the coleman demonstration:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/131956

Just keep in mind it was a very foggy morning.

JML

Enlightened
Here's a different suggestion:

Inova X0 (new style, with reflector) and a box of quality CR123 batteries (get a waterproof plastic case for them, like the Pelican, and fill it up) . Two batteries in that light yield a 5-hour regulated runtime. Much smaller than most of the alternatives already mentioned, and more easily pocketed or carried. Battery storage life about 10 years. Less likely to leak than garden-variety AA, C, or D cells. Works well in very cold weather, unlike alkalines, so if the power goes out in the winter, or they need to go outside, they're OK.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the best compromise between quality, cost, utility and runtime for give-aways to non-flashaholics for emergency lights would be some of the many low priced 2D cell flashlights with nice reflectors fitted out with SMJLED PR2 drop-ins.

I've given away a few of these to friends for that purpose and non-flashaholics have all been just blown away by these lights that we would find so simple.

There is a great thread about good hosts for SMJLED PR2 drop-ins and IMO you can make more high quality, useful give-aways for a given amount of money than anything else I can think of. As much as I like Pak-Lites, I can't afford to give many away.