What happens when you mix a Coleman water activated 2D with a oldstyle SMJLED?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get this. :candle::grin2:

Took with a regular/typical camera setting (no + or - stops) with a tripod and no flash.

15 or so feet away from the door.

coleman1551x600le4.jpg

In this next image, it was taken outside under pretty foggy conditions. The security light you see in the image is, if i'd have to guess, about 200 or so feet away. The fog captures the beam great though, and there's plenty of spill you can't see in this image for walking and up-close useage. And the grass in that area at the end of the beam is visible although you can't see it in the pic.

coleman2600x450dn1.jpg

This is why I'm so gaga over this set-up as an emergency or even regular use light. This combo just rules for useable brightness and runtime.

Here's a reflector size comparison.

Coleman on the left, Mag 4D on the right.

reflectors600x450zw1.jpg

Last edited:

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I just put an SMJLED in an Energizer lantern (switches from lantern to area lamp by pulling up). It has 4xD, but they are 2x2 parallel so ok for SMJLED... a lot of runtime, I guess 80 hours to 50 percent... And it has a razor sharp spot with good throw. Your beam looks a little better though. Nice find.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
mbirds said:
Nice! I just put an SMJLED in an Energizer lantern (switches from lantern to area lamp by pulling up). It has 4xD, but they are 2x2 parallel so ok for SMJLED... a lot of runtime, I guess 80 hours to 50 percent... And it has a razor sharp spot with good throw. Your beam looks a little better though. Nice find.

Yeah, that's been my findings. The SMJLED makes for a decent 2xAA light, but it really takes those D cell guys with sizeable reflectors to really bring out their best.