Maglite 2D mods and options

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've started recently thinking of getting Maglite 2D, led version. I have few questions.
1. Why there are different lumens versions? I've seen something like 150 lumens (don't remember exactly, but quite low) and also something nearing 600 lumens. Does it mean that the newer ones have more lumens?
2. Will the led version handle rechargeable 2D cells? And if so, are there any specific I should go for?
3. Are there any decent mods available with more lumens, like 2000 for instance or so? And if yes - I assume they go with some special batteries / battery packs / battery cartridges? In other words - anything to upgrade the stock version of the light. Thanks for your help!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. you can mod your maglite, 2000lm, 3000lm, easy. even easier if you have old maglite made for bulbs.
There are different generations of maglite, so different lumen ratings, newer are brighter.
It should work with rechargeables of proper voltage.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the current 2D LED Mag is 213 lumens and has 2 modes; older versions are single mode and have lower lumen ratings (except for the sort lived 274 lumen single mode Pro):

The 2D ML300 is the newer model with multi modes, programmable function sets etc. This one is rated at 487 lumens. and is available in a LX version with a hard anno'd grenade grip:

Either of these run fine on NiMH's or even a single Li-ion (18650, 21700, 26650 etc) in a adapter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some refer to the 213 lumen model as 2D classic because it's made (mostly) from the parts the classic units were made of.

If you want to get 2000 lumens you need to start with this one.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Some refer to the 213 lumen model as 2D classic because it's made (mostly) from the parts the classic units were made of.

If you want to get 2000 lumens you need to start with this one.
Ok. Thanks 🙂 Now, why this one and what next? I assume only basic so called "xenons" (incans) ones are good for modding, as the original LED ones are already LED, so more difficult or more expensive to mod, owing to their internal construction? Am I right?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 2D LED model circa 2006 a few months ago. The module is removable and you can put in any PR type bulb or a better upgrade. The newer ones are made differently and even shorter in size. I have a new LED 6D and 4D althought I haven't used the 4D yet the 6D is plenty bright. On paper the 4D is brighter than many of the mods that are available. I'm waiting to see as I have parts on the way.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok. Thanks 🙂 Now, why this one and what next? I assume only basic so called "xenons" (incans) ones are good for modding, as the original LED ones are already LED, so more difficult or more expensive to mod, owing to their internal construction? Am I right?
The ones available now with LED have a proprietary LED module that is specific for that model and is not easily altered. Can be but it's not a simply plug and play converstion.

The ones that came with a light bulb, be it xenon or krypton you simply remove the reflector and then install the LED upgrade be it a Malkoff or one by Lumencraft.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
The ones available now with LED have a proprietary LED module that is specific for that model and is not easily altered. Can be but it's not a simply plug and play converstion.

The ones that came with a light bulb, be it xenon or krypton you simply remove the reflector and then install the LED upgrade be it a Malkoff or one by Lumencraft.
Do all new Maglites have electronic switch now? Or just the led versions? It's a shame they got rid of that satisfying click 🥴

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
I was looking into that mods, and I don't like the fact that they're not zoomable. Zoom is one of the unique Mag's feature and this was one of the main reasons I started looking into Maglites again. Ok, let's say I'll buy 3D or 2D most powerful LED version, which would be around 600 / 700 lumens. Would I be able to do something about it, in terms of power supply? Was thinking of putting another batteries, like 3.7v in an adaptor or something. Would factory led withstand that and to what extent? Does it make sense at all trying to pump up factory lumens through batteries upgrade or some built in protection won't let me do it? Did anyone try to do something similar? What I would like to achieve is to have 2/3 D size Maglite with about 2000 lumens brightness, but that has to be zoomable.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my 20 years on this and other flashlight forums, and moding over 100 maglites, I can't think of anyone moding the mag, trying to keep that useless "zoom" which offers nothing but a very poor quality unfocused beam for close up, i sure do not miss it on any of my mods, pretty much any decent mod eliminates the need for it, and will give you wider and much nicer flood.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
In my 20 years on this and other flashlight forums, and moding over 100 maglites, I can't think of anyone moding the mag, trying to keep that useless "zoom" which offers nothing but a very poor quality unfocused beam for close up, i sure do not miss it on any of my mods, pretty much any decent mod eliminates the need for it, and will give you wider and much nicer flood.
I agree with @alpg88 ... the Maglite zoom is useless, for the most part. I've modded many older Mags to brighter LED upgrades, and usually calibrate the head so that it's on full focus hot spot when tight. A decent LED will give you some decent spill, with no need for zooming.

If you're going to go with 2 or 3 thousand lumens, it would be best to change over to Li-ion batteries. My 5000 lumen upgrade runs on two 26650 Li-ion cells very efficiently. The 2 to 300 lumen upgrades do well with NiMH rechargeable cells.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was looking into that mods, and I don't like the fact that they're not zoomable. Zoom is one of the unique Mag's feature and this was one of the main reasons I started looking into Maglites again. Ok, let's say I'll buy 3D or 2D most powerful LED version, which would be around 600 / 700 lumens. Would I be able to do something about it, in terms of power supply? Was thinking of putting another batteries, like 3.7v in an adaptor or something. Would factory led withstand that and to what extent? Does it make sense at all trying to pump up factory lumens through batteries upgrade or some built in protection won't let me do it? Did anyone try to do something similar? What I would like to achieve is to have 2/3 D size Maglite with about 2000 lumens brightness, but that has to be zoomable.
Pumping up the voltage in modern Maglites won't achieve your desired goal. I tried it. I heard "zzzt" then :poof:

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
I agree with @alpg88 ... the Maglite zoom is useless, for the most part. I've modded many older Mags to brighter LED upgrades, and usually calibrate the head so that it's on full focus hot spot when tight. A decent LED will give you some decent spill, with no need for zooming.

If you're going to go with 2 or 3 thousand lumens, it would be best to change over to Li-ion batteries. My 5000 lumen upgrade runs on two 26650 Li-ion cells very efficiently. The 2 to 300 lumen upgrades do well with NiMH rechargeable cells.
Ok, thanks. So 5000 lumens - which mod we're talking about?