• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For suggestions, I would still like to see the following (most have come up before at some point):

- Long throw optic or reflector that threads into the current heads
- Mule bezel that threads into the current heads
- Stainless steel tailcap option
- 18350 battery tube
- Bezel with clip attachment for rotary
- Micro textured glass like PFlexPro uses to even out beam and increase spill (these might not be made in US, which I understand would make it a non-starter)

I was just playing around with a flood reflector and in between switching it out with the regular reflector, I was thinking that without any optic it makes for a really nice mule.

+1 on the throw optic and 18350 body.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think the led is to deep at present to make it a good mule but yes an hds mule would be cool. A drop in TIR for throw would be awesome! God knows how hard it would be to design but the ability to take bezel off and in 30 seconds turn your edc light into a thrower would be fantastic!

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Or how about a turbo head with a much bigger reflector that also screws right in? Say 2". Wouldn't be good for edc but for times you need to throw 100 yard.and the ability to switch back and forth would be awesome

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at Prometheus Delta? The Icarus Driver is very flexible with a click clcik hold for MAX, and they come in Ti.
There's nothing as good as Henry's driver though.
P
I looked into their new driver. Not even close to Henry's driver. With Henry's driver you can go right to the setting you want anytime and from any setting. With the Delta you are forced to cycle through settings. Not good. Not good at all. Plus with Henry's lights both end of the battery are protected with springs from jolts and shocks. Only one side of the Delta's battery compartment has a spring. Plus, Henry's light has a very durable electronic switch. The Delta has a far less reliable mechanical switch. I could go on but what would be the point.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree. I was really close to pulling the trigger on an Alpha, but couldn't get past comparing the Icarus driver to HDS. I thought long and hard, because I really wanted to try the 4500K MC-E, which I believe is an excellent emitter. I too prefer the e-switch, but I'm Ok with a mechanical one. For me, the deal breaker was the driver and lack of potting.

Re potting the electronics: One of my favorite lights is my PFlexPro S2+, which has potted electronics (and the H17F driver?). Randy offers an emitter upgrade option, despite the fact it's potted. But HDS doesn't. I'm curious as to whether Henry's engineering precludes this based on particular design trade(s), or if it's simply a business preference not to offer it to customers (maybe because it is more profitable if they buy a new light?). Seems like others are successfully swapping emitters on HDS lights via custom modding, so it can be done, right? Can anyone elaborate?

[To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the lack of emitter upgrades at HDS (I've made peace with this, and other Henry/Hogo decisions like no new Ti Clickies - its their business and they can run it how they want). Just curious as to the reason why two very bomb-proof lights have different upgradeability options.]

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite lights is my PFlexPro S2+, which has potted electronics (and the H17F driver?). Randy offers an emitter upgrade option, despite the fact it's potted. But HDS doesn't. I'm curious as to whether Henry's engineering precludes this based on particular design trade(s), or if it's simply a business preference not to offer it to customers (maybe because it is more profitable if they buy a new light?). Seems like others are successfully swapping emitters on HDS lights via custom modding, so it can be done, right? Can anyone elaborate?

[To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the lack of emitter upgrades at HDS (I've made peace with this, and other Henry/Hogo decisions like no new Ti Clickies - its their business and they can run it how they want). Just curious as to the reason why two very bomb-proof lights have different upgradeability options.]

I believe HDS uses a third party to mount their LED emitters in batches to make sure they are done right. One off's do not make financial sense in their business model. Some HDS owners have had Modders change the LED's in their lights and then some send the light back to HDS for calibrating. Not all of the modifications work. Not all of the modifications can be successfully calibrated.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there would be a market for a Signature Edition of the HDS light? Something made in part with a special material and personally signed by Henry. I would buy that.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or how about a turbo head with a much bigger reflector that also screws right in? Say 2". Wouldn't be good for edc but for times you need to throw 100 yard.and the ability to switch back and forth would be awesome

As a fellow flashaholic, I can identify with this at some very deep level. I can remember the way I felt when I scored my first SF Turbo Head back in the day. Some people have crack cocaine, but I had modular Surefire parts. With some mature (=old guy) reflection, I think a Malkoff Hound Dog is far better suited for this role than an HDS. And in every measurable category, right? More power, more throw, more spill, better balance, more capacity, etc.

The HDS is nearly perfect, but it is a small, pocket friendly personal flashlight. We shouldn't try to make it do too much. Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary, plus some other jazz.

Cheers

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe HDS uses a third party to mount their LED emitters in batches to make sure they are done right. One off's do not make financial sense in their business model. Some HDS owners have had Modders change the LED's in their lights and then some send the light back to HDS for calibrating. Not all of the modifications work. Not all of the modifications can be successfully calibrated.

I'm hearing that there's no technical reason the LED can't be swapped, HDS just made a business decision not to offer that service. Thanks for clarifying.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
As a fellow flashaholic, I can identify with this at some very deep level. I can remember the way I felt when I scored my first SF Turbo Head back in the day. Some people have crack cocaine, but I had modular Surefire parts. With some mature (=old guy) reflection, I think a Malkoff Hound Dog is far better suited for this role than an HDS. And in every measurable category, right? More power, more throw, more spill, better balance, more capacity, etc.

The HDS is nearly perfect, but it is a small, pocket friendly personal flashlight. We shouldn't try to make it do too much. Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary, plus some other jazz.

Cheers

Your right. Of course my 18650 hound dog I'm sure would stomp any additional bezel that could be put on an HDS. I just can't get the picture out of my head of the long throw hds prototype Henry made so long ago.it would be awesome to see something along that line put into production.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
F244-BFF7-46-DA-44-F2-B2-E8-98-A45-C984636.jpg

Not to bad huh?😄

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers

What he said.

img-3540.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an awesome offer, just super, this afternoon, but I just forgot it and can't remember...

remembered - when the existing supply of XP-G2 is over, you can try to use XP-G2 HE

although perhaps by this time XP-G4 will appear

And need to increase the brightness of the strobe, it is less bright than the maximum mode because of periods of darkness, it reduces the efficiency. If you increase the brightness of the light periods of the strobe to 250-300% of the maximum, it will be good. On the lantern of Paul Kim so done, it's really effective. When I showed my friend (he is a police officer) a strobe at the HDS, he found him rather annoying than disorienting.

upd

Having played a bit in Tactial, I imagined what it is to turn the full dial every time, it's more convenient for some people to have a shorter distance to change the brightness than to have a more precise level control. So it was, it would be cool to introduce into the add-on the ability to change 1 full circle to 2 semicircles at will. That is, the default will be as it is, but if you enter the setting, it can be done

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you guys can make a batch of diffusers like the surefire F0-4. They work with the "e" series lights, other 1" and HDS lights.

As a side note, I put one on my long throw for indoor use and it's magical. Those who have both, try it!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I got a flashlight with a flush button, which is slightly swollen and now it's don't stand upright. And then I thought, I will definitely buy a high button and try it first, must be made like a disc between the rubber and the button inside, but the disc is outside, and it is made of rubber, he will stand well.

I will cut the top of the button and glue the round rubber on the superglue, then we will see what happened..

tyu

Newly Enlightened
Now I got a flashlight with a flush button, which is slightly swollen and now it's don't stand upright. ...
I will cut the top of the button and ...

Before cutting anything, try holding the button down as you screw the battery compartment and head together. That helps one of mine.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before cutting anything, try holding the button down as you screw the battery compartment and head together. That helps one of mine.

Thanks, depression should help! :)

And I also think we should try the water hose, definitely, like a rubber ring in the butt of Eagletac T25C2, so he stood upright